Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 11:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,801 times

Advertisements

I posted a general question about relocating a couple weeks ago. Thanks for everyone's help.

I really like the idea of the Strip District from what I've read. I'm going to be working on the North Shore, and it looks convenient without being right there. Any good reasons why I should't rent there? Any great reasons why I should? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 05:01 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
If you like what you have heard about the Strip, I can't think of a good reason not to live there. It is a cool neighborhood with great shopping close to where you will be working . . . sounds like a good idea to me.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:41 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
I like the idea of living in the Strip as well. That said, the couple of downsides to me: It's not really that convenient on weekdays after work for shopping. Right By Nature is open later, but most of the traditional shops of the Strip are not. And most of what you can rent there is fairly expensive.

If these aren't particular issues for you, then I think you're in good shape.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:02 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
personally, the only thing that would deter me from living in the strip would be the night life - i'm just not that interested in listening to loud drunk people wandering around or watching them pee on my stoop. of course, weekend mornings are also pretty loud & crowded in some parts of the strip. if that stuff doesn't bug you (and conversely, the busyness goes along with the convenience of night life and shopping in that neighborhood), i'd say go for it.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:11 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
personally, the only thing that would deter me from living in the strip would be the night life - i'm just not that interested in listening to loud drunk people wandering around or watching them pee on my stoop. of course, weekend mornings are also pretty loud & crowded in some parts of the strip. if that stuff doesn't bug you (and conversely, the busyness goes along with the convenience of night life and shopping in that neighborhood), i'd say go for it.
Are there really significant numbers of Strip apartments that are above shops or whatever? I mean, the drunks aren't going to wander and pee on your stoop at the Cork Factory or even really the Brake House or other such renovated buildings I can think of. Unlike the South Side there aren't a ton of street-level houses that are available for sale or rent. What I've never gotten a true feel for is if any of the second level and above floors in the strip are rented as apartments. Some buildings seem to be offices up there, or nothing. If we are talking second-floor walkup with a door on Penn, then yeah, perhaps this would be a problem in certain blocks.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:33 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
i'm honestly not sure where the housing is in that neighborhood, besides a few obviously residential houses on penn and the lofts you mentioned. you could very well be right.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:42 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,287 times
There are negatives... its not very green, it can be pretty congested at night and weekend mornings, its pretty dead the times when its not congested, rents tend to be fairly high for what you get (for Pittsburgh at least). I don't think there is a supermarket there either which is nice to have... I could be wrong about that though.

Its a cool neighborhood though. If you checked it out and you think you like it, you probably will.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:17 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,159 times
Right by Nature is the only grocery store in the strip that I am aware of.

I have heard a little about plans to turn the area around the former Donzi's site into some sort of mixed use development with a park along the waterfront. While not a green area, some trees and whatnot would be a nice escape from the weekend swarm on Penn.

If would definitely live in the strip if I were younger and single again. Those Otis lofts look pretty sweet.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:28 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Apartments and condos are about your only choice in that area. As mentioned, not a lot green space. But, if I was younger and working downtown, I might consider it for a few years. Not where I'd want to raise a family, but a good place to be single.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,971 times
The Strip would be a great place to live. Walkable, wonderful for foodies, friendly, on the bus line (with lots of service) and easy to get West, South or North because of the 10th Street bypass. Walk to town and walk to Lawrenceville. Fairly decent for bikes too, because it is flat. www.neighborsinbthestrip.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh