Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 02:21 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I dont understand why you guys don't offer up Public Transportation more often when New Comer's are looking for commuting routes....Pittsburgh'ers need to learn to get out of their cars and find that commuting by public transit would be soooo much eaiser sometimes.
For the most part Public Transportation is most effectively used in a Downtown commute. I used it when I was there and the Bus or Light Rail was typically packed. Suburb to suburb commuting isn't effective for the most part.

This particular request (OP's) is one that would be satisfied quite easily by mass transit, although many downtown worker's parking destination IS the North Shore. Many of those walk across to get into town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 08:35 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
If the North Shore is the destination, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Greentree Road, all the way down into the West End, and across the river at the West End Bridge. Still a hassle, but better than either tunnel...
I thought of this at one point. Didn't get to posting it though.

As for the T, I admit that didn't register. It should have. Even with the Gateway station closed right now it's still a reasonable option with either a walk over or perhaps a bus.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:22 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpenni View Post
I didn't even think about the fact that I could take the T to Gateway Center and walk. I love that idea! I know the T is slow from Mt. Lebo to downtown, but I don't think the time would bother me nearly as much if I could read a good book or the newspaper during my commute!

The whole slow thing is relative. You're not going anywhere sitting on Banksville Road either.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:56 AM

22 posts, read 40,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
The whole slow thing is relative. You're not going anywhere sitting on Banksville Road either.
Yea, you're right. And I looked at the T schedules and actually it looks like it's only about 30 minutes from the Castle Shannon park and ride to the Wood St. stop. That's not bad at all.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:43 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,499 times
Quote:
Yea, you're right. And I looked at the T schedules and actually it looks like it's only about 30 minutes from the Castle Shannon park and ride to the Wood St. stop. That's not bad at all.
It depends on the time of day you ride it too. Late rush hour trips will be faster due to less pickups/discharges. I've boarded a 6PM T at Steel Plaza and arrived at South Hills Village about 25-30 minutes later.

Think of it this way: you sit in the traffic on Banksville and then you still have to seek out a parking spot and then walk to work from the parking garage/lot. Depending on the time in the morning and your work location, you might have to park a good distance away. Riding the T will get rid of that hassle.

I used to commute to town every day and park at the Arena. One day, I got off to a late start in the morning and traffic was terrible. Then, all the Arena lots were full. I eventually ended up having to navigate downtown traffic and I parked at the Grant Street Transportation Center and $13 down the drain. 90 minutes after I left home, I finally arrived at work. Ugh. That put me over the edge and since then I ride the bus. $27.50 a week, 35 minute ride in to town, 2 miles to the Park and Ride lot, and dropped off and picked up right in front of my building. Can't beat it. My only regret is not switching to public transit sooner.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:

The funny thing is, the natives complain about the train and bus service being slow, but they will sit in the damndest traffic jams every day and think nothing of it.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:47 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
The funny thing is, the natives complain about the train and bus service being slow, but they will sit in the damndest traffic jams every day and think nothing of it.
That's because it still takes longer via public transportation!

I'll give you an example. Once my car was having mechanical work done, and I had an 11am appointment in the North Side. I had to take a 9:20am bus to be at the appointment on time because the 10:20am bus would have gotten me there late. When the appointment was over, I had to wait an hour to catch the bus home. I didn't get home until near 1:30pm.

A 15 minute appointment took half of my day---over 4 hours. Meanwhile, the worst rush hour traffic would be a 30 minute drive via car. Worse case scenario, the entire trip and appointment would have taken 1-1/2 hours via car.

So, yeah. I'd much rather sit in the damndest traffic jam over taking public transportation! Someone would be insane to prefer otherwise. Public transportation only works if you live on a convenient bus line that has busses every 10 or 15 minutes.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:02 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Comparing a rush-hour traffic jam to non-rush bus schedule times isn't a reasonable comparison.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:54 AM

22 posts, read 40,159 times
I also think that the convenience of public transportation is going to be relative to the nature of your trip as well...taking public transportation to and from what would be a 15 minute appointment is different than taking public transportation to and from an 8 hour workday. You're weighing your commute time against a very short task (15 min appt) vs. against a full day at work.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:39 PM

I can always count on Greg and now Ashe for using some common sense in regards to commuting......points for both of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh