Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 02:42 PM

135 posts, read 385,806 times

Advertisements

or reuse some from a house that is being remodeled most of this stuff just gets tossed and some places would love it if someone came and hauled it away for free, it saves them having to pay to put it in a landfill in fact some houses getting torn down is a great place to get cheap and real nice material
here recently a School in St.Claire was being torn down and they sold the gym floor for cents a square foot I heard that it did not last and was being used right away and all the brick was free to take but nobody took any and there was enough there to build a few real solid brick homes.
If one looks around and pays attention one can get the materials for their home for free or real close to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 02:56 PM

15,631 posts, read 26,117,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

Nuwaver, I remember that place from my boy scout camp mommy days. Thanks for reminding me!
Hopes -- do you have a Habitat for Humanity ReStore around you? Check there....

Sometimes you can find amazing stuff there.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,629,704 times
Unfortunately, I have no use for "used" slate. Since it's very fragile, it will crumble whenever it is taken out of an existing structure during renovation.

The best I could hope for is contractor leftovers. I did that with unfinished hardwood and saved thousands of dollars. Unfortunately, time isn't on my side with this project.

I've benefited from places like Construction Junction in the past. It just won't be feasible for this time.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:38 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,538,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Hopes -- do you have a Habitat for Humanity ReStore around you? Check there....

Sometimes you can find amazing stuff there.
Looks like the Greater Pittsburgh chapter does not run a ReStore but some of the surrounding areas do. Allegheny Valley has one in New Kensington, that's probably closest. Also Beaver Falls, Washington and I think Greensburg. This stuff is mostly donated extras I believe, not used, but sounds like probably not too helpful with this project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh