U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:02 PM

20,273 posts, read 25,980,471 times

Advertisements

So a Post-Gazette columnist figured out that the fact USX goes straight up and has a flat roof means it has the "largest roof in the world at its height or above," as confirmed by the building data firm Emporis:

The Next Page: An Acre of Possibilities, 841 Feet in the Sky

Or as I would like to put it, the top of USX is the highest artificial acre in the world.

Anyway, this inspired him to start an investigation into turning the USX roof into a prime tourist destination, which led him to the idea of a sustainable "High Point Park", and then they held a "flash competition" among groups at CMU to design such a thing. The article goes into the whole process and has a bit about the winning design, but you can see all of the designs here:

Design Sketch Thumbnails High Point Park (http://highpointpark.org/the-competition/arch_submissions - broken link)

I found it fun to look through some of those. So far I think this one is my favorite:

http://highpointpark.org/submissions.../41-Group6.pdf

I like the simplicity and openness, plus the feature of being able to personally stand at the highest point.

Anyway, you can get more competition results here:

Team Rosters, Results, and Project Submissions High Point Park

The judges seemed to like the more dramatic designs, which I guess is understandable, but not really my preference (although I did like the topographic reproduction of the Confluence which made the finals).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 01:28 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,179 posts, read 2,867,880 times
Great post Brian - I like that concept choice as well.

For any of you wondering what the view looks like from atop the steel tower, here are some awesome sites with stunning pics:

View of the north from the tower: gigapan: Pittsburgh north from top of US Steel Tower

View of the south from the tower: gigapan: Pittsburgh southwest from top of US Steel Tower

I found it quite surprising that they say you can actually see Ohio and Coopers Rock in West Virginia on a clear day!

A video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjuwWYqczq8

Last edited by Johnny C; 01-26-2010 at 01:36 PM..

Old 01-26-2010, 02:33 PM

3,689 posts, read 4,494,957 times
Wow - that view from the south of the Tower is so cool. I can see no less than five places I've lived, all on Mt Washington or Southside Slopes. Incredibly clear shots.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:06 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,068,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Great post Brian - I like that concept choice as well.

For any of you wondering what the view looks like from atop the steel tower, here are some awesome sites with stunning pics:

View of the north from the tower: gigapan: Pittsburgh north from top of US Steel Tower

View of the south from the tower: gigapan: Pittsburgh southwest from top of US Steel Tower

I found it quite surprising that they say you can actually see Ohio and Coopers Rock in West Virginia on a clear day!

A video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjuwWYqczq8
Wow, in the north view, you can see the Pittsburgh International Airport and the smoke from the power plants in Shippingport, Beaver County.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:18 PM

20,273 posts, read 25,980,471 times
Courtesy of another forum, I found out this project has advanced with a new design that incorporates the findings of a feasability study (I quite like the Fort Pitt reference in the new design):

PERSPECTIVES OF HIGH POINT PITTSBURGH | High Point Pittsburgh (http://highpointpark.org/high-point-perspectives - broken link)

RENDERINGS OF HIGH POINT PITTSBURGH | High Point Pittsburgh (http://highpointpark.org/high-point-renderings - broken link)

With the building under new ownership, and the new elevator bank potentially addressing the concerns cited by the old ownership, this project may have a shot. And it has at least one high-profile proponent in Bill Peduto (read the comments for an update from him as of this spring):

HIGH POINT PITTSBURGH | Bill Peduto for Pittsburgh

Old 09-05-2011, 11:09 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,012,314 times
Amazing! I really hope this happens. Love how the design has matured since the first rounds.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:30 PM

804 posts, read 762,060 times
This would be a lot of fun, I miss Top of the Triangle.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:49 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,489,881 times
They should try to add a restaurant to this plan somehow.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:19 AM

4,880 posts, read 5,551,590 times
This is really cool, but it doesn't seem like much of a park being enclosed like that.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:39 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,489,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
This is really cool, but it doesn't seem like much of a park being enclosed like that.

Only the bottom part would be enclosed, so that it can be used year-round of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh