Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 07:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,293 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering how long the commute is from North Fayette Township to Pittsburgh during Rush Hour? I work in the city and need to be in by 8:30, any suggestions on when to get on the road in the morning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 07:29 AM

809 posts, read 2,409,110 times
It might be best to try to find a bus stop or park and ride close by. The express buses use the West Busway and should get you downtown in a jiffy, avoiding most of the traffic. It'll be much cheaper than parking too.

http://portauthority.org is the website for the port authority. Check it out.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:20 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,643,570 times
If you're going to drive you'll be in the worst of it. Safe leave time is probably about 7:00 until you get more sure of how long it will take. The Ft Pitt Tunnel is the bottleneck, and it will back all the way up the hill to the Green Tree exit and beyond at the worst of it. This can at some times move along reasonably well, and you may eventually, depending upon parking arrangements and such, be able to push your departure time a little later.

Unless parking is covered for you, though, or you need to drive throughout the day or stay late, the suggestion to look into the buses is a good idea. Parking is either going to be inconvenient (thus you'll need that early departure time) or expensive. Certainly your start time matches up well with buses, so as long as your end time in the afternoon matches up pretty well you'll be set. Check out the park and ride page here Park and Ride Lot Information Select "West" then check a couple of options such as North Fayette VFD. Depending upon where you live in N Fayette some of the other options could be closer to home or otherwise more convenient.

The ride in will be perhaps the same length of time (depending upon number of stops) or perhaps faster on the bus because it uses the West Busway, bypassing the big traffic backup. That said, the bus schedule may not mean you'll get to leave home any later in the morning. You'll have to see how it matches up with the 8:30 start time.

Good luck.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:31 AM

674 posts, read 1,412,142 times
I live off the Bridgeville exit of 79, probably about equal distance as where you're coming from, and taking largely the same route (the Parkway West). My husband and I leave our house usually 7:05-7:10ish, and most days I am in my office by 7:45-7:50 and very rarely in after 8. (I have a lease and park about a block away from my office- how far you have to walk or search for a spot also will lengthen your "commute"). There are occasional bad days when we get in a little later, but they are few and far between.

It'll take some experimenting on your part to determine the best time for you, but you shouldn't need to leave at 7 to get there by 8:30. Unless you park far away from your office.

If a bus is convenient to you, though, look into it. Especially if you work regular hours and don't need a car during the day.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:41 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,643,570 times
Yeah, it's a tricky thing. Sometimes there are what I call "holes" in the traffic, where if you left just a few minutes later the total drive would take noticeably longer. The amount of walking, etc. after parking downtown is a huge variable too. If you drive yet park in the Strip or the stadium lots or some such it's going to add time. Even just several blocks of walking is going to add some time. That's why I said "safe time", if you want to be safe for the start when first starting out with a new drive. Every few minutes counts when you're trying to make a start time. If that start time bends a little bit, then it's not so bad.

I now see it wasn't clear if the job is new (which is what was in my head). Perhaps it's just the home and commute that is new. Not usually good to go pushing the start time on a new job. On existing job, though, they'd probably be somewhat forgiving of a new commute if you botch it once or twice (but not too much more than that IMO).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh