Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:59 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,414,676 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We just moved to Pittsburgh recently, and because of the move and our family situation (having a new baby in March), we are looking into find a new and better living situation for our 1yr old female German Shepherd.

We adopted her at 7 weeks old, and she's a great dog, just turned 1yr in December. very sociable, great with kids/people. she's been spayed, and is up to date on all shots.

It's sad to think of letting her go, but I know with all the changes coming, she will take a big hit in getting the attention she greatly needs.

She is a sable colored GSD, which means she doesn't look like 90% of the other GSD's, she's more silver/black rather than tan/black...she's been kennel trained, and we keep her kennel door open at all times to allow her access to take naps and sleep over night. She is an indoor dog, but loves being outside and running around!

If you, or someone you know would like to take her on, please let me know...I can post pictures later if needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 11:31 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
Hello!

We just moved to Pittsburgh recently, and because of the move and our family situation (having a new baby in March), we are looking into find a new and better living situation for our 1yr old female German Shepherd.

We adopted her at 7 weeks old, and she's a great dog, just turned 1yr in December. very sociable, great with kids/people. she's been spayed, and is up to date on all shots.

It's sad to think of letting her go, but I know with all the changes coming, she will take a big hit in getting the attention she greatly needs.

She is a sable colored GSD, which means she doesn't look like 90% of the other GSD's, she's more silver/black rather than tan/black...she's been kennel trained, and we keep her kennel door open at all times to allow her access to take naps and sleep over night. She is an indoor dog, but loves being outside and running around!

If you, or someone you know would like to take her on, please let me know...I can post pictures later if needed.
If you can't rehome her -- take her to Animal Friends. They are a no kill shelter.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:40 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
they also have a waiting list of about a year, at least for cats. a friend of mine rescued some cats in her neighborhood and got them on animal friends' list and it was over a year before they took them (just the other day). i'd imagine it's about the same for dogs.

if you can't find a home for her, don't be afraid to take her to the animal rescue league (they do euthanize) - you can ask to be notified if she's up for euthanization and take her back. since she's young, sociable, and not a pit bull, she will probably be adopted pretty quickly.

oh and some local rescues will list animals kept in your home on petfinder for you. i think animal friends does that.

good luck!

Old 02-01-2010, 11:47 AM

thanks for the input...i don't think we would feel right taking her to a shelter, we're just getting started trying to find a new home for her, so we'll keep on, keeping on!

Old 02-01-2010, 12:39 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
thanks for the input...i don't think we would feel right taking her to a shelter, we're just getting started trying to find a new home for her, so we'll keep on, keeping on!
I understand about you wanting a good life for her, but I think you might be jumping the gun at rehoming. It could be a decision you will regret -- a good dog is hard to find.

If you're getting a house with a back yard she can run to her hearts content and giving her some toys you can keep her busy. Yeah -- you need to make some time for her, but you can walk her and stroll the babies, too.

I seem to recall your wife is staying home with the kids, too.... I'd look hard to find a way to keep her.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I understand about you wanting a good life for her, but I think you might be jumping the gun at rehoming. It could be a decision you will regret -- a good dog is hard to find.

If you're getting a house with a back yard she can run to her hearts content and giving her some toys you can keep her busy. Yeah -- you need to make some time for her, but you can walk her and stroll the babies, too.

I seem to recall your wife is staying home with the kids, too.... I'd look hard to find a way to keep her.
this is very true tally...we aren't all in on the rehoming quite yet, i'm just putting feelers out right now. i'll keep you posted...

Old 02-01-2010, 01:21 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
yeah, i would have said the same thing, but i didn't want to come across as judgmental. tallysmom came across just fine though! i'd give the situation a try for a while before deciding for sure to give up the dog.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:52 PM

133 posts, read 391,700 times
I also would see how it goes first. I'm expecting a baby soon and we have 4 dogs - all indoor. I don't plan on giving up any of them. Granted, ours are older and would be tougher to place, but still... Nope, ours are part of the family. They stay. If not for them, I'd get less exercise. They don't talk back (kids will eventually and you can complain to the dog all you want and she'll listen). I know a few people who gave up dogs because of family situations and they all regret doing it. I'd try it and see how it goes first.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:41 PM

19 posts, read 31,714 times
I would just like to reply from a slightly different perspective. My parents had a one year old German Shepherd/Collie mix when I was born. Nothing changed when I was brought home; our dog still lived inside with the family. She was my best friend. I loved her with my whole entire being. I would definitely recommend trying it.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:59 PM

792 posts, read 1,301,467 times
Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do but....Oncebecoming a member of the family, I could not give up a dog any faster than I could give up the first born human. Give the Shepherd a chance, they are very loyal and protective, their family is their "flock" so to speak. The day might come when that GSD provides a degree of protection that money can't buy...they tend to watch closely over the younger family members.

German Shepherd dogs are an awesome breed...second to none. Whoever said "dog is man's best friend" was spot on...Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh