Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 01:13 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,820,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catia View Post
Jay5835--
Did it EVER occur to you to maintain the place you live??? Get out your hose and clean your awning man!!!--what's wrong with you??? Houses require maintenance inside & out.
Don't you clean your outside in the spring???

**It's Pittsburgh--you HOSE OFF THE HOUSE!!!**

Honestly, I can't believe you'd rather not have a view and would close the curtains instead of cleaning your awning.
I hate to break it to you, BUT
There is no ***outside of the house maintenance fairy***
It's your responsibility to clear the scum from the place you decide to live.
If you maintain it, there will not be scum.
Since you asked,

1. I didn't own the house.

2. It was an unpleasant place to live for more substantive reasons than a moldy awning. I guess I'd been there a month when I realized I wasn't going to live there longer than the year I'd signed the lease for, and I just closed the blinds and prayed for it to be over.

3. I don't do ladders well at all. I have terrible balance
problems. Even someone as mean as you would not want me climbing ladders.

4. The topic is "Awnings in Pittsburgh: Tacky." And, silly me, I responded in kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 11:40 PM

7 posts, read 23,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
There was a view from one bedroom, but if you wanted to see it, you had to look at all the scuzz (mold?) under the awning, too. I kept the blinds drawn most of the time, and moved at the end of the year (not because of the awning, but that was depressing).
This has little to do with whether awnings are tacky.

If I had rented a house with a moldy awning, I would have gotten a hose and some bleach and sprayed it off from the ground level or from inside the house. Just because you don't own it, doesn't mean that you can't work to improve your situation. I guess it is a generational thing.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:19 AM

475 posts, read 567,920 times
Reminds me of PAFOA.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:44 AM

7 posts, read 23,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post
reminds me of pafoa.
lol!

Old 06-14-2010, 10:09 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,814,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley-X View Post
I like Perry Como.

Awnings are practical. They keep the sun out of the house. Why one Earth would anyone want sunlight in their house? It fades things, boosts the cooling bill. ...

... Remember, most of the people who lived there were working class folks with bills to pay and mouths to feed, not overpaid yuppies with deep pockets.

Don't make the mistake of judging the past by today's standards.
Sorry, but most "yuppies" have mouths to feed, and are not overpaid. Employers do not overpay people today. They pay the minimum that they have to, same as always. The cost of living doubles every 10-20 years. Salaries keep pace. Nobody works for less than he or she is worth, unless there are no other opportunities.

Perry Como started his career in my neck of the woods. Gee, I can't imagine Meadville or Warren as places to relocate to for a career, today. :-/

Since you like old music, do you listen to wkhr.org on the 'Net?

This it not a total thread hijack. I happen to like those aluminum awnings a whole lot on some houses. ;-)

lmao at "Mary on The Half-Shells." I had not heard that one before. Didn't have those at down South.

I almost picked one of those gliders up on trash day. It was out by the road for pickup, and all it needed was cushions. I almost put it on the truck, but I am living in borrowed space until I move, so I didn't know what on Earth I'd do with it until then, or if I'd have a porch for it. So, I left it for somebody else.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:47 PM

475 posts, read 567,920 times
I wish I was overpaid.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,434 times
Where I live, I haven't seen any awnings on any windows. People don't like them here really. We have a few over porches here. I like those ones. Having awnings on every window of every house would be rather annoying to me, but I like having a few scattered around.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:01 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,577,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Sorry, but most "yuppies" have mouths to feed, and are not overpaid. Employers do not overpay people today.
Not necessarily true. Many government jobs have salaries that are generous enough to strain budgets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh