Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 04:25 PM

118 posts, read 282,157 times

Advertisements

What's up with all the awnings in Pittsburgh? So many people have them in neighborhoods like Plum, Monroeville, and Penn Hills. Is it some sort if secret Italian code or something that I'm unaware of...because I'm not Italian? No, seriously......Doesn't it seem painfully "60's" to have awnings on all of your windows?

Plus the underside of awnings are a haven for spiders. Big, fat ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 04:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
The permanent aluminum awnings are usually awful. The retractable canvas ones are cool if done right. And functional too.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:37 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Every city has it's quirky side. Sort of like Formstone in Baltimore.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:39 PM

137 posts, read 366,981 times
I've wondered this about Pittsburgh forever! haha. There are so many houses with those ugly old awnings and vinyl siding too! The awnings make me think that nobody wants any sun light getting into their house. Like they'll turn to stone if they get a little vitamin D in their system.
The thing is, so many of the old houses with awnings and vinyl siding, especially in Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, and the Southside, could be so beautiful if the owners just ditched the awnings and siding and had the original brick cleaned up. Often, the siding/awnings is convering up some ornate stonework around a window or door. It amazes me. I assume that some incredibly talented awning salesman must have traveled to Pittsburgh in the 70's and convinced everyone this was a good idea. Like that Simpsons episode when the guy sells Springfield a monorail, then ditches town just before everyone realizes the monorail sucks. Except most people haven't figured out that the awnings suck yet.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:53 PM

48 posts, read 197,580 times
I detest the vinyl siding and the aluminum awnings. I live in the Southside Flats. I agree that so many of the homes, and therefore the neighborhood as a whole, would be so much more attractive if people ripped off the siding and fixed up the brick. It's a travesty to do such things to gorgeous Victorian architecture.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:05 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcc09 View Post
I assume that some incredibly talented awning salesman must have traveled to Pittsburgh in the 70's and convinced everyone this was a good idea.
I've talked to some people about this sort of thing, and that is apparently exactly what happened: salesmen walked these neighborhoods and sold people on these inexpensive "modernizing" treatments.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:17 PM

118 posts, read 282,157 times
Am I insane, or do awnings make anyone else think of Perry Como and crappy 60's pop music?

Old 02-06-2010, 05:32 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
I think it was more like the 60's or 50's when the awnings were installed. In addition to the local Pgh scene, I see a lot of them in the WV panhandle in the steel mill towns .

Things change, at that time it was what consumers wanted. Much like in the late 60's when everyone installed wood panelling. Likewise, how many newer homes do you see with wallpaper? Back in the day, it was the cat's meow. (damn, I'm old)

Concrete counter tops were popular for about 3 months in the 90's, now it's granite. Who knows, maybe marlite will come back.

I've still got my leisure suit in mothballs. Boogie on.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:32 PM

602 posts, read 2,033,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I think it was more like the 60's or 50's when the awnings were installed. In addition to the local Pgh scene, I see a lot of them in the WV panhandle in the steel mill towns .

Things change, at that time it was what consumers wanted. Much like in the late 60's when everyone installed wood panelling. Likewise, how many newer homes do you see with wallpaper? Back in the day, it was the cat's meow. (damn, I'm old)

Concrete counter tops were popular for about 3 months in the 90's, now it's granite. Who knows, maybe marlite will come back.

Yep, they're pretty much an era-specific thing. Go up to Parma near Cleveland or Cheektowaga near Buffalo and you'll see the same thing.

Although, I can't say I've noticed too many pink plastic flamingos and "Mary on The Half-Shells" in Pittsburgh.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post

I'm old too. I remember awnings in the 50s/60s in Beaver County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh