Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 02:48 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,710,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
Guess The Farmer's Almanac was right, a horrible February this year.
Phil called it. The bright side to all of this is the four work-free (but paid) weeks ahead of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 03:15 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
I already mentioned this in the other thread, but my brother gave our son a big inflatable snow tube last Christmas. We were able to use it on the church steps across from our house, which would never have worked if not for the huge quantity of snow. While out there we saw an increasing number of people walking, and sometimes skiing or snowshoeing, around, often with cameras. We saw one SUV slowly driving the streets with two teenagers holding onto the bumper and sliding on their boots.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:14 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times
I shoveled for about 3 hours yesterday. Neighbors and I shoveled out the entire street so that weekend guests could try to get out today. Haven't seen anything remotely resembling a plow or salt truck. It was actually fun since all of us were out there together.

I can't get anything on the television -- there's too much snow on the satellite dish. But, I have power and the water conservation has been lifted, so that's good!

Old 02-07-2010, 06:24 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
My husband went out this morning to Cranberry. He said all roads are terrible. Even the main roads are a sheet of ice with snow on top. Route 19 is especially bad.

The snow plows came to our neighborhood at 11:00pm last night. They all got stuck. One slid over a retaining wall and into a yard a block away.

They even brought a backhoe to try and pull it out. They were still trying to get it out at 2:00am when I went to bed. No idea if it's still there since I just woke up.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:32 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Phil called it. The bright side to all of this is the four work-free (but paid) weeks ahead of me.
At this point I'm actually liking the idea of PETA wanting to replace phil with a robot, then he can be programmed to not see his shadow. Is Gus available?

Old 02-21-2010, 01:04 PM

3 posts, read 4,150 times
thx so much for replying to my string it means a lot i thought no none would notice it

Old 02-21-2010, 02:40 PM

31 posts, read 103,710 times
In 1977, my family lived / lives in a small coal mining community in Jefferson county. We had about 3 feet of snow in 2 days and the local power company - United Electric was unprepared for all the snow and the power went out on a Wednesday and did not come back on for almost 2 1/2 weeks. 20 days without power, light, heat, television.

The phone still worked. We did not have a microwave oven, a computer, INTERNET, cell phones, Satellite dish - because they were not invented yet!

We had a wick type kerosene lamp for light, mom opened the oven door for heat, we had a coal cook stove which provided more heat and cooking ability. We sled rode, shoveled snow, played board games, built huge snowmen, dug tunnels and made a igloo. We even listened to the radio with batteries for hours on end to see if there was going to be school the next day. You never seen 12 year old kids pray as hard as the kids from my generation. Snow days were few and far between and were right up there with Christmas and your birthday.

My dad worked 3 miles away and never missed a day of work!

At night we burned car tires and sled rode down one hill and pushed cars up the other hill all night long. Mom didn't worry where we were at and she didn't have to call us on our cell phones to tell us to come home. If you wanted somebody bad enough, you just opened your door and yelled really loud.

Dad didn't worry about if he would have someplace to park his vehicle when he got home - because if his parking place was not shoveled out when he got home - your parking PLACE WAS GOING TO HURT WHEN HE GOT DONE WITH YOU.

You feared and respected your parents and you did things just because they told you to do it. You didn't expect to get paid when you did things, you just did it to help other people out. Everybody shared what little they had and everybody got along and it was not such a big hardship when the lights went out and nobody missed it much when they were out and when they came back on - you almost did not want it to end.

Those were the good old days!

Old 02-21-2010, 03:32 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Rainbow 24 View Post
In 1977 ... The phone still worked. We did not have a microwave oven, a computer, INTERNET, cell phones, Satellite dish - because they were not invented yet!
Just because you were a luddite in 1977 doesn't mean those were not invented yet. Seriously, the most recent thing on that list (off the top of my head, without looking it up) is the cell phone. No, it might not have been common for people to have those items in their homes yet, but all those things were possible to have at the time.

I think it would be good for everyone pining for the good old days to be able to go back there and stay there. Unfortunately, at least so far as we know, time travel is one thing that really hasn't been invented yet.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:58 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,710,930 times
Yeah, all those things were technically invented by 1977.

Cell phone-1973
Internet- 1969
Microwave oven-1946
personal computer-1971

Satellite dishes, while certainly invented, weren't really used by consumers until the late 70s or even the early 80s. I'll give you satellite dishes.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:02 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Rainbow 24 View Post
In 1977, my family lived / lives in a small coal mining community in Jefferson county. We had about 3 feet of snow in 2 days and the local power company - United Electric was unprepared for all the snow and the power went out on a Wednesday and did not come back on for almost 2 1/2 weeks. 20 days without power, light, heat, television.

The phone still worked. We did not have a microwave oven, a computer, INTERNET, cell phones, Satellite dish - because they were not invented yet!

We had a wick type kerosene lamp for light, mom opened the oven door for heat, we had a coal cook stove which provided more heat and cooking ability. We sled rode, shoveled snow, played board games, built huge snowmen, dug tunnels and made a igloo. We even listened to the radio with batteries for hours on end to see if there was going to be school the next day. You never seen 12 year old kids pray as hard as the kids from my generation. Snow days were few and far between and were right up there with Christmas and your birthday.

My dad worked 3 miles away and never missed a day of work!

At night we burned car tires and sled rode down one hill and pushed cars up the other hill all night long. Mom didn't worry where we were at and she didn't have to call us on our cell phones to tell us to come home. If you wanted somebody bad enough, you just opened your door and yelled really loud.

Dad didn't worry about if he would have someplace to park his vehicle when he got home - because if his parking place was not shoveled out when he got home - your parking PLACE WAS GOING TO HURT WHEN HE GOT DONE WITH YOU.

You feared and respected your parents and you did things just because they told you to do it. You didn't expect to get paid when you did things, you just did it to help other people out. Everybody shared what little they had and everybody got along and it was not such a big hardship when the lights went out and nobody missed it much when they were out and when they came back on - you almost did not want it to end.

Those were the good old days!
Uh no thanks. I like my modern amenities and it's plain old dangerous to have no power in this weather since there's not much of an alternative if there's no power to heat most houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh