Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 03:24 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times

Advertisements

Did you study hard for your urine test???

Sorry, had a flashback to 4th grade. Hope all is well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 04:55 PM

78 posts, read 136,984 times
It's about 7PM and the radar shows the back edge of the main snow to be about 100 miles west of Pittsburgh and moving this way. I figure if we get 4 inches overnight that would be big snow. And wed... I bet no more than 2 inches. Over forecasted !! panic city set in...

Old 02-09-2010, 08:19 PM

78 posts, read 136,984 times
Default Bringing down the warning

Don't see this to often. National weather service office admitting that the winter storm warning was over done. Cleveland office already bringing down the warning.

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING/...
HAVE ALREADY DOWNGRADED THE WINTER STORM WARNING TO AN ADVISORY
FOR AREAS EAST OF I-71 WHICH IS WHAT WE SHOULD HAVE GONE WITH IN
THE FIRST PLACE. THE DRY SLOT CONTINUES TO MOVE OVER THE AREA FROM
THE SOUTH. MAINLY JUST LIGHT SNOW FALLING ACROSS THE AREA AND
ACCUMULATIONS OVERNIGHT SHOULD BE NO MORE THAN ANOTHER INCH OR
TWO.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:30 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Ours was changed sometime in the last few hours with the city getting up to 1/4 inch of ice first then 4-8 inches of snow mostly tomorrow.

And now it's down to 3-7 inches, actually, although granted both of those totals are additional, and we got a couple inches of snow earlier this evening, at least here at the house we did.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:53 PM

118 posts, read 282,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Ours was changed sometime in the last few hours with the city getting up to 1/4 inch of ice first then 4-8 inches of snow mostly tomorrow.

And now it's down to 3-7 inches, actually, although granted both of those totals are additional, and we got a couple inches of snow earlier this evening, at least here at the house we did.
Doesn't matter, we're still screwed. It's the beginning of February. The snow that's on the ground isn't going to melt anytime soon. More snow is coming. Maybe not right this moment, but it's coming. The pattern isn't going to shift to warmer weather for at least a month. Any new snow that we get is just gonna pile up on what's already out there now.

Think about it. One more storm like the last one, and we've got 4 feet of snow on the ground. Two more storms like that and...well, you get the picture. The grim reality of the whole situation, is that we're most likely gonna have snow on the ground until summer, if not longer. The even grimmer reality is, that's the best-case-scenerio! If it warms up too quickly, we'll have massive flooding! They're not even talking about that yet on the news.

This is a disaster of epic proportions for our area, people. It's not like the blizzard of 93. That snow melted in a few days BECAUSE IT WAS MARCH! This here....this is just the start of a lengthy period of pure hell that's about to befall this cursed land called western Pennsylvania.

We're doomed I tell ya. DOOMED!

Old 02-09-2010, 11:07 PM

14 posts, read 35,167 times
Good point epitathpunk.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:23 PM

102 posts, read 161,080 times
I hope none of this causes a problem with my trip...I'm supposed to come to Pittsburgh the last weekend of this month by plane. Anyone think that will still be possible?

Old 02-10-2010, 12:39 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
The Weather Service has just given up completely at this point:

Honestly, I don't know anyone can believe in global warming when the experts can't even predict a snow storm 24 hours in advance.
Weather and climate are not the same thing.
Thanks for bringing politics into this discussion.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:51 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,590,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Weather and climate are not the same thing.
Thanks for bringing politics into this discussion.
The climate and its effects can play a role in weather patterns, however.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:06 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
The climate and its effects can play a role in weather patterns, however.
You're right.
People here are looking at local weather and making determinations based on their microenvironment.

I've recently lived in the Pacific Rim and now Europe.
A rise in core temperatures by .5 - 1 degree are causing unprecedented changes in patterns of storms on a macro level. This is a climate change.

It drives me bonkers that people look at their neighborhood and make scientific determinations based on their picture window weather.

Really, the US is not the center of the universe; it is simply part of the whole world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh