Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Pittsburgh: traffic, taxes, housing, market, find a job.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 08:37 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,661 times

Advertisements

Thank you JoJo for that wonderful insight into your life and experience here in Pittsburgh. I really enjoyed it.

Quote:
There is the "T" which is a light rail system that runs from downtown into the south hills but that is it.
They are taking it to the north shore as we speak, and there are long-term plans to also extend it in into many other regions. Who knows when "long-term" will happen though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I just flew there for around $100 and I will never, ever drive again (well if I can help it).
Oh come now Jo! The drive isn't that bad, at all. I used to drive to NYC almost every other weekend for a weekend trip to go clubbing. I had a lot of fun until I got tired of paying the $25 cover to hit up the trendy gay clubs and then another $100 dollars on drinks per night.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:03 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
Oh come now Jo! The drive isn't that bad, at all.
It's cheaper to fly, boylocke!

Old 05-31-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
It's cheaper to fly, boylocke!
That's probably true now, but it wasn't about five years ago. I guess it also makes a difference when you have a bunch of friends with you in the car and you make it a fun "road trip." You can't exactly do that on a flight, lol.

Boylocke: "CHINESE FIRE DRILL!!!"

Attendant: "Sir, if you keep pounding on the captain's cabin and running around screaming at everyone to switch sits, we'll have to restrain you"

Old 05-31-2007, 07:48 PM

157 posts, read 828,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmama View Post
Hey, Cali. Thanks for the info on the corporate housing--will keep that.

I can understand why you're nervous about driving in the snow. When I first got out to California, it amused me what a Big Deal it was when the area got a little sprinkle of rain after months of one sunny day after another, and how traffic would come to a standstill. I chalked it up to the fact that people just didn't know how to drive in inclement weather in SoCal. But once I drove there in the rain it quickly freaked me out how slippery the roads were there--those months and months of buildup on the roads becoming a slick sheet with just a touch of rain. I think you're smart to be as prepared as possible for driving in the snow; I don't know what it's like in Pittsburgh but hopefully it won't be so bad, nor should driving in the rain there be as heartstopping as it is (or was for me anyway) in SoCal.

I'm with you on the beach! I love to look at it, but don't love to be part of the scenery so much two kids later!

I guess "You left California to come here?!" is a cry heard round the world then. Made me start to feel a little like, "Wait, maybe I AM a dummy for leaving," especially on February days when I most missed that warm, sunny weather. But I guess California has a mystical image in most people's minds! I admit I loved it while I was there, but definitely not everything about it.

I really wish the best for you and your family and hope you'll post back about your experiences there. Good luck!!!!!
Hi NYmama,

Thanks so much for the well wishes We will certianly keep you posted! Please do the same with whatever you decide.

So funny about your reaction to driving in LA in rain. It really is scary -- between people not having any skills whatsoever, and the very real oil slicks . . . . well, it's not fun We'll see how it compares to driving in snow LOL!

I look forward to hearing what you decide -- and to my reaction when we move in July!

Old 05-31-2007, 10:12 PM

25 posts, read 135,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmorrisn View Post
Just to respond to birdlady (I'm not a Pittsburgh cheerleader) - I'm actually from and am going to really miss Baltimore.

Just to compare the stats with another city (notice that none of the best places to live were big cities - go figure). Also remember that these statistics are taken from only within city limits, not the metro area. If you look on CNN list, Columbia/Ellicott City (a suburb of Baltimore and DC) is number 4!!

Baltimore stats:
Job growth -3.28%
Test Scores -25.8% and -39.7% for reading and math respectively
Personal Crime Risk 548 (although your property is much safer with a property crime risk of 243)
Auto Insurance Premium (avg for state) is $2813

Just to give you a little perspective - and Baltimore Metro Area is consistently listed as a good place to raise your children.
And I visited Baltimore for a weekend and told myself I would never visit again. I dislike that place greatly. I made the post about Baltimore a few days ago.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:11 AM

269 posts, read 1,054,796 times
Yes Baltimore is not for everyone. My point was merely that city statistics don't accurately convey whether the area in general is a nice place to live, the analogy being Baltimore and Ellicott City/Columbia (which is only 3 or 4 miles from Baltimore).

Old 06-01-2007, 05:44 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I love Baltimore! I had some wonderful times there in my 20s when I lived in Harrisburg. I guess we get out of a place what our personalities allow.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:04 PM

24 posts, read 66,519 times
I had a good time in Baltimore in the past as well.

I guess one good thing about the original posters concerns is that her husband is in Sales. Good Salespeople are always in demand, and can often transition from one industry to the next, so he shouldn't find it too difficult to find a new position. I would suggest finding a HeadHunter that deals with Sales professionals in order to get a feel for the opportunities in the area.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,228 times
Question mixed bag

Hey NY, I, too, grew up on Staten Island. Also lived in a couple of other states, including long time on west coast. Pittsburgh is a mixed bag, very green, lots of good museums, libraries, good music scene, good arts and theatre scene. However, the taxes are high and the wages are low, the transit system being cut back, not many good restaurants, and as for being walkable, in the city, there are areas that are lovely and lots of areas that are not too safe, and they are pretty close together, so I don't walk that far. Most people live in the burbs where there are no sidewalks and the urban core is losing population steadily. Do your homework carefully before you leave NY, crunch the numbers for all taxes. Do they have mine subsidence insurance in NY, I don't think so. I pay Federal, State, Pittsburgh Wage Tax, and Township taxes out of my measly paycheck. Allegheny County has high and crazy property tax. The people here are very nice and friendly and seem pretty honest and down to earth. The drivers are polite. But it is somewhat regressive here, a tad too old fashioned sometimes. Many folks here dwell in the past. But you can get a house for relatively cheap. What is most important to you ? The airport is nice and convenient, but the selection of flights is poor compared to NY. Pittsburgh is a mixed bag. This is an old refrain that you will hear over and over. I moved here but not sure I'll stay. And recently, Pittsburgh was voted most livable city, which I found hard to understand, but also #2 in worst air quality. I think the transit here is poor. Well, that's my 2 cents. I also considered Raleigh/Cary area, also Austin is nice. Good luck with your decision. Lots to ponder. Spend lots of time here and drive around ALL neighborhoods, the topography/geopgraphy is difficult to learn.

Last edited by grittycity; 06-01-2007 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: add a sentence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh