Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2010, 11:28 AM

3 posts, read 4,688 times

Advertisements

I'm a 18 wheel trucker making a delivery at 16-57 street, Pittsburgh, PA 15201, and all I know about Pittsburgh is what I've heard, "lots of low bridges, restricted routes and just basically a good place to @#$% up. I'm coming from Ohio on I70. Can anyone give me a good truck route to my destination. I need to avoid low and weight restricted bridges, really narrow streets, and residential areas. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 12:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times
All the main routes and bridges to where you are going will take trucks.

I-70 to I-79N to 376 towards Pittsburgh (might be 376E but there is definitely a Pittsburgh exit on I-79N)

376 (also known as Parkway West) goes through the Fort Pitt Tunnels

While coming through the tunnels, you will want to be in the LEFT lane.

When you exit the tunnels, you want to move over two lanes to the farthest left lane.

At the end of the first bridge crossing the Mon River, you will bare left for 279N exit.

Stay in the lane for the 279N NORTH SHORE sign.

As soon as you get onto the second bridge, you will be want to QUICKLY move over two lanes to the right.

You want to be in the farthest right lane for 279N.

After you cross the river, continue following 279N signs which bares to your right.

Stay in the right lane to catch the Route 28N exit which says Chestnut STreet, East Ohio Street & Etna.

When you come off the ramp, move over one lane to the left to follow the Route 28N Enta sign.

Stay in the left lane while driving Route 28N

from Route 28N take the 40th Street Bridge into Lawrenceville --- exit ramp is on the LEFT

After crossing the bridge, make a left at the first light onto Butler Street.

Left onto 57th Street.

Good luck!

Old 02-14-2010, 12:33 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,534,437 times
Directions above are good.

There's an electronic overheight indicator before the Ft Pitt tunnel. While I don't think the height is overly restrictive there, if it's an issue the detour is to exit immediately before the tunnel onto PA Rt 51 north and follow signs for West End Bridge. From there go back to looking for I-279 north. When approaching the stadium you'll need to be in the far left lane. That ramp is dicey, merging into other traffic from its left, and then to get onto PA Rt 28 north (as mentioned above) you'll have to get immediately over to the right lane after merging.

Hopes, can you do the 62nd Street Bridge off 28 north? I can't remember. I was wondering if that might be easier than heading up through the Lawrenceville biz district. I don't think it has a restriction, although it may have at one time. They did some work on it in the last couple years, or maybe still are? Perhaps that's the problem....

Old 02-14-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
There's an electronic overheight indicator before the Ft Pitt tunnel. While I don't think the height is overly restrictive there, if it's an issue the detour is to exit immediately before the tunnel onto PA Rt 51 north and follow signs for West End Bridge. From there go back to looking for I-279 north. When approaching the stadium you'll need to be in the far left lane. That ramp is dicey, merging into other traffic from its left, and then to get onto PA Rt 28 north (as mentioned above) you'll have to get immediately over to the right lane after merging.
I doubt he will need to take that detour, but it's always good to know that the West End is a good alternative.

The ramp is immediately before the tunnels so he'll have time to adjust his plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Hopes, I would think the 62nd Street Bridge from there, right? That's doable off 28 north isn't it?
Yes, that exit is now open, but I don't like the exit off of Route 28 to the 62nd Street Bridge for tractor trailor trucks as much as I like the 40th Street Bridge.

It all depends on what time of day he arrives. If it's the middle of the night, take the 40th street bridge.

If it's during the rush hour, the 62nd street bridge will ultimately save him some time because he can avoid any gridlock in Lawerenceville.

The exit for the 62nd street bridge is on your right after passing the 40th street bridge exit, the millvale exit, and the etna exit.

At the bottom of the ramp, make a right to get up onto the 62nd street bridge.

Stay in the right lane and turn right onto Butler Street at the end of the bridge.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:02 PM

These forums really do work! Thanks for the directions and the info about which lanes to be in. I didnt check mapquest yet but I'm guessing the 62nd Street Bridge is PA Rt 8. Its good to have some options but I think I'll try 62nd street because it is a numbered route and thats usually the best bet for trucks. Again Thanks.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:03 PM

The 62nd Street Bridge is PA Route 8 (South, I believe). You will exit on the right.

Be careful, because PA Route 8 North exits on the left shortly after the 62nd Street Bridge exit.

Just stay in the right lane while you are on Route 28 North. That way you won't accidently take the wrong Route 8 exit.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:26 PM

Will do thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh