Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 01:06 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,094 times

Advertisements

I know a few people who make a great living making games. They went to CMU's grad program. It was very competitive and hard to get into, but they managed to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 07:18 AM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Savannah College of Art and Design offers it. They offer both undergrad and Masters degrees. It’s way pricy, though. There were several cheaper schools in GA too.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:12 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Our youngest want to do the same thing. He enrolled at Rensselaer because of their EMAC program (Electronic Media Arts C...) and because they had a couple other educations options which paralleled EMAC but didn't require great artist abilities.

He graduates with dual Majors in Computer Science and Psychology for a Man-Machine Interface option.

He worked for 5 years at IBM doing programming and software performance testing, got laid off during the recession, and is now an MD specializing in Pathology.

So.......... try to direct him to a school which offers options without requiring additional courses, in case he decides part way through college that his interests in Game Design have waned.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:35 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,696,843 times
This thread was created in 2010.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:36 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Guys, I need help! My teen wants to be a video game designer!

I've searched the internet and there are very few schools that offer a degree in video game design. The only one in Pittsburgh is the Art Institute. I wanted him to attend a four year institution and live at a dorm. I have no problem sending him out of state, but there are very few four year colleges that have this degree.

I'm not even sure if these video game design degrees are legit or the next up-n-coming majors that haven't hit mainstream academics. When I research the histories of video game designers, they had very diverse educations, often not even in computer programming or graphic design---history, physics, biology, etc.

List of role-playing game designers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of video game designers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm wondering if a computer programming degree would be a better path to his dream?

Does anyone have any ideas on how my child can pursue an education towards this career goal?

Does anyone in the gaming industry even respect the Pittsburgh Art Institute?
tell him he needs to study computer science in order to accomplish that. chances are he'll change his mind after graduation.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:57 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
My nephew is doing the video game design program at George Mason

https://game.gmu.edu/

Old 09-23-2018, 09:38 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
This thread was created in 2010.
yes but what if someday we have time travel, now they have the answers they need to give good advice.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:50 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Leave britney alone!!!

Old 09-25-2018, 01:57 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,284 times
From what I've heard, artists for video gaming are a dime a dozen.

Might want to look for open source projects to which a person can contribute. CMU is the only school for which I've heard some companies are willing to hire them just for taking a particular course.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:40 AM

143 posts, read 117,530 times
Do whatever you can to talk him out of that ridiculous idea and find another career. My bet is that as he matures, he'd outgrow that culture and get really tired of it. A degree in computer science would be a good thing to have either way however. Why don't you take him down to your local Navy recruiter office and look at the careers available in the Navy? That's where I learned computer programming - I never studied it at all in school, and I've had a fabulous career. By the way, I only spent 5 years in the Navy, and the rest was in "regular" jobs. My Navy experience was the best career move I ever made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh