U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 09:33 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times

Advertisements

Guys, I need help! My teen wants to be a video game designer!

I've searched the internet and there are very few schools that offer a degree in video game design. The only one in Pittsburgh is the Art Institute. I wanted him to attend a four year institution and live at a dorm. I have no problem sending him out of state, but there are very few four year colleges that have this degree.

I'm not even sure if these video game design degrees are legit or the next up-n-coming majors that haven't hit mainstream academics. When I research the histories of video game designers, they had very diverse educations, often not even in computer programming or graphic design---history, physics, biology, etc.

List of role-playing game designers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of video game designers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm wondering if a computer programming degree would be a better path to his dream?

Does anyone have any ideas on how my child can pursue an education towards this career goal?

Does anyone in the gaming industry even respect the Pittsburgh Art Institute?

Last edited by Hopes; 02-18-2010 at 09:45 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 10:04 AM

21,465 posts, read 22,698,975 times
He could look into CMU--the Entertainment Technology Center is very well respected. Carnegie Mellon's Entertainment Technology Center

It's a graduate program, but they do provide a list to Bachelor's programs as well: http://www.etc.cmu.edu/Global/resources/bachelorsprograms.html (broken link)

Old 02-18-2010, 10:08 AM

808 posts, read 2,096,867 times
Yeah, a Computer Science degree is pretty much required. The only other path to something like game design would be the Art Institute. He'd be more of an artist or a 3D modeler than a game designer though.

A "videogame design" degree itself isn't really worth the paper it's written on most of the time. Exceptions being places like Carnegie Mellon's ETC.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
He could look into CMU--the Entertainment Technology Center is very well respected. Carnegie Mellon's Entertainment Technology Center

It's a graduate program, but they do provide a list to Bachelor's programs as well: Bachelor's Programs (http://www.etc.cmu.edu/Global/resources/bachelorsprograms.html - broken link)
Thanks! CMU wasn't coming up in my search. TBH, he doesn't have a chance of getting int CMU at this point.

However, a masters at CMU it's definitely a goal he can work towards if he becomes inspired at college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
Yeah, a Computer Science degree is pretty much required. The only other path to something like game design would be the Art Institute. He'd be more of an artist or a 3D modeler than a game designer though.
THAT is closer to what he wants to do. He wants to be an environmental designer. He wants to create the maps, the worlds, the graphics.

He doesn't mind modeling either, but he is very passionate about environmental design. These terms don't even come up in a google searchs.

When I looked for education in "environmental design" the only thing that came up was engineering majors.

My age is showing. I'm clearly out of the loop. However, I respect that this is what he wants to do since he is passionate about it.

And I see this being a viable industry for many years to come.

So, you think the Pittsburgh Art Insitute is respected in this industry? (It's so not respected in other areas.)

Since there are no dorms, I guess I could get him an apartment in the city somewhere.....

Old 02-18-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
A "videogame design" degree itself isn't really worth the paper it's written on most of the time. Exceptions being places like Carnegie Mellon's ETC.
Oh, crap! That's what I suspected!

Is there ANYWHERE else? It doesn't have to be in Pittsburgh.

He won't be able to get into CMU for a bachelors.

I'm confused as to why CMU would be the only route to go since many successful video game designers don't even have an education in computer programming.....

Old 02-18-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's a graduate program, but they do provide a list to Bachelor's programs as well: Bachelor's Programs (http://www.etc.cmu.edu/Global/resources/bachelorsprograms.html - broken link)
Wow! I just looked at that link! (I thought it was a CMU bachelors program and didnt' even look initially!)

It's a listing of non-CMU institutions that offer a bachelors program!

There might be hope afterall!

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2010, 10:27 AM

5,610 posts, read 6,480,616 times
Outside of Pittsburgh might be a better bet, somewhere where he'd have a chance of landing an internship with a real video game company.

If he isn't interested in the technological aspects (programming/hardware) then it is going to be a much harder thing to get into (and an internship would be a huge foot in the door). With programming and hardware design you can get in by being the best at what you do while working at other jobs, and you'll always have those jobs as a fall back.

With the story boarding, level design, etc. aspects there are a lot fewer jobs that give the background needed, so an internship would be very important I think. Even if he is the best level design, it will be difficult to prove so without a job/internship history showing it.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:27 AM

808 posts, read 2,096,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
THAT is closer to what he wants to do. He wants to be an environmental designer. He wants to create the maps, the worlds, the graphics.

He doesn't mind modeling either, but he is very passionate about environmental design. These terms don't even come up in a google searchs.

So, you think the Pittsburgh Art Insitute is respected in this industry? (It's so not respected in other areas.)

Since there are no dorms, I guess I could get him an apartment in the city somewhere.....
I'd seriously look into it. I work at a software company and we do indeed hire Art Institute grads to do graphics work. It's respected enough that if he does well he'll certainly be employable in the field.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:28 AM

WAIT!

CMU lists the Art Institute of Pittsburgh as a school with a bachelors.

Doesn't that mean that CMU respects the Art Institute program?

Seriously.

If CMU lists it as a place to get a bachelors prior to moving into the CMU masters program, that means that the Pittsburgh Art Institute program is probably respected, right?

Old 02-18-2010, 10:30 AM

9,918 posts, read 19,683,339 times
Yeah it seems to me there are two major aspects to game design which are somewhat different from each other. One is programming, the make it work part. The other is graphic design, modeling, etc. I don't know which side is more responsible for designing the game play/story/whatever you want to call it. Maybe this is where those history and biology folks come in. But you can throw that in there too. Programming is where the game play is ultimately laid out though. If there is any inkling one way or the other where his interest lies, that can help you make the call. If it's really in the graphical design, then this is more of an art path.

Computer science would be the degree path for the programming. Go back far enough in game design and these guys are going to be self-taught, I would think. If you manage to design a game or are involved with designing a game, then you've pretty well proven that. I don't think that works anymore with big companies like EA, but there are still places where one could design a game themselves and get noticed or even just keep designing on their own. (iPhone/iPod touch comes to mind, and soon, the larger iPad, because of how the App Store works. Anyone can be a developer, and every single game or other application is sold via the single source.)

Is he so into it that he's programming and/or otherwise trying to design stuff NOW? Those are the ones who really get it, I think. If his interest is coming just from playing, and that's the answer he gives if you prod him about future plans, I'm not sure how well it will stick. If he's already laying out ideas for games in his spare time and trying to figure out how to translate those to a working game, then maybe you've got something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh