U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 07:13 PM

2,439 posts, read 5,670,551 times
No doubt it was. We haven't had any cloudy days here in DC for at least that long.
But you know perfectly well that the string of beautiful sunny days and lovely blue skies WILL NOT LAST in Pittsburgh, and soon the overcast skies will return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 07:17 PM

39,913 posts, read 42,574,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
But you know perfectly well that the string of beautiful sunny days and lovely blue skies WILL NOT LAST in Pittsburgh, and soon the overcast skies will return.
Just in time too! It was starting to get really hot here! I love when the weather front comes through to give us some relief!

Old 05-31-2007, 07:18 PM

2,439 posts, read 5,670,551 times
But if the sky is blue for a good part of the day and you can feel some warmth on your face — well, my friends, that’s a sunny day in my book.

This is the criteria used by the gentleman in the Post-Gazette article.

That would cover the typical Pittsburgh summer day of blue skies until 11 am, followed by cloud cover for the rest of the day (and rain several times a week.)

Old 05-31-2007, 07:35 PM

39,913 posts, read 42,574,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
No doubt it was. We haven't had any cloudy days here in DC for at least that long.
Your string of beautiful days isn't going to last long either!

Washington, District of Columbia (20001) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

Washington DC Weather Forecast: Friday--Cloudy, Saturday--Cloudy, Monday--Thunderstorms, Tuesday---Thunderstorms, Wednesday---Thunderstorms

We're just starting our weather sooner because the weather comes from the west.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:23 PM

6,966 posts, read 9,202,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're right!

It was a beautiful day today until the rain moved in towards the late afternoon.

And it was welcome rain! It was so darn hot. The rain cools things off.
You're making me jealous -- It's 55 here and I'm in wooly slippers, fleece and freezing -- it's DAMP. The marine layer is really wet today.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:54 PM

570 posts, read 870,921 times
Default Pittsburgh Climate

You cerainly don't look for prolonged episodes of sunshine and clear skies in the upper Ohio Valley-Pittsburgh region. But given our average cloudy mix with some sunshine, a 2 week span of mostly sunny and dry conditions should be celebrated by local folks. But seemingly it is easier to thrive off negatives and mostly cloudy will more times than not cloud over the mostly sunny. But we are living in a true treasured atmosphere that dampens us with consistent moisture that many areas in the world and in the sunbelt would love to have. So enjoy the partly sunny, partly cloudy skies and feel that lovely shower. You could be smelling burning wood and looking at hazy sunshine through smoke from wildfires in Florida, Arizona or california not to mention long term drought.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:16 PM
Status: "Popcorn up, May 27! Knee high by the 4th of July?" (set 8 days ago)

67,127 posts, read 54,482,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
You cerainly don't look for prolonged episodes of sunshine and clear skies in the upper Ohio Valley-Pittsburgh region. But given our average cloudy mix with some sunshine, a 2 week span of mostly sunny and dry conditions should be celebrated by local folks. But seemingly it is easier to thrive off negatives and mostly cloudy will more times than not cloud over the mostly sunny. But we are living in a true treasured atmosphere that dampens us with consistent moisture that many areas in the world and in the sunbelt would love to have. So enjoy the partly sunny, partly cloudy skies and feel that lovely shower. You could be smelling burning wood and looking at hazy sunshine through smoke from wildfires in Florida, Arizona or california not to mention long term drought.
This so reminds me of my father. If it's sunnier somewhere else, there's something wrong with the place. Ditto for warmer or anything else positive, if it's better than Pittsburgh, there's surely something bad about it.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:32 AM

485 posts, read 866,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
LOL, I can't believe how negative some of you locals are.
It confounds me how much argument stems from the weather ... and how pervasive the negativity is among those that no longer live there.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:02 AM
Status: "Popcorn up, May 27! Knee high by the 4th of July?" (set 8 days ago)

67,127 posts, read 54,482,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
It confounds me how much argument stems from the weather ... and how pervasive the negativity is among those that no longer live there.
If you are referring to me, I am merely pointing out that some journalist's unscientific experiment using unscientific criteria,
Quote:
(But if the sky is blue for a good part of the day and you can feel some warmth on your face ó well, my friends, thatís a sunny day in my book.)
compiling data for one year only, is bunk. Just what is "a good part of the day"? I prefer my scientific data to be a bit more, well, scientific than that. I'll take the National Weather Service. I revise my post about Denver. Using that criteria, Denver has 360 days of sunshine a year. Everyone likes to talk about the weather but as Mark Twain said, no one ever does anything about it. Weather is one of the criteria used in many quality of life articles found on fluff pages of many journals.

And the ability of many Pittsburghers to downplay any place else (it may be sunny, but they have forest fires there) is amazing to me. Until I read this forum, I thought it was just my father and his cronies. This is my main point in my response to RockLobster.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:57 AM

624 posts, read 1,113,362 times
Well, I for one fully admit that Pittsburgh has more cloud cover and rain than any place else I've ever lived.

However, I'm one of those rare people who likes clouds and rain. I didn't really know that Pittsburgh was like that until I moved here, but I don't mind it.

And at the risk of sounding like some former Pittsburgher's elderly, provincial father , I actually do prefer the weather here to some other places I've lived. Although there were some upsides to living in a desert climate, in general I just do better with more humidity. I have extremely dry skin, and lots of fine, fly-away hair. When I lived in the West, my hands would literally crack and bleed in the winter, and there wasn't anything I could do about it. My hair would stick to my face and clothes 8 months a year. It was horrible. Although the humidity here is uncomfortable at times, at least I don't feel like I'm having the life force sucked out of me by 5% humidity.

Colorado was the worst, even worse than Arizona. There was a serious lack of green vegetation - I got so excited when we were moving here and we hit Ohio in the moving truck and started seeing all the heavy vegetation and so many beautiful *TREES*! Trees! It was amazing - I couldn't stop looking at them. It never rained in Colorado and that's why there were no green growing things. The whole time I lived there I felt like my soul was dying because all you would see for miles and miles was rocks and dirt and a few little spindly dying trees (except for the manicured lawns of the sprawling suburbs, of course). Yes there was sun but the wind blew dirt all over everything at 25 miles an hour all day long every time it was sunny. And you know what? There WERE really bad forest fires every summer we lived there, and they covered the town in thick smoke for weeks at a time. The same was true of Arizona, and I actually liked living there. It's not just some biased thinking on my part - there WERE problems with the weather in Colorado, at least for me personally. Lots of sun didn't make up for the other problems there. Other people's mileage may of course vary. If you like living in the dead, dry hell that is Colorado, more power to you.

And I also fully understand that other people may find the weather in Pittsburgh intolerable for a variety of reasons. For instance, my husband doesn't care for the humidity here at all. But he doesn't have my dry skin either. And some people have seasonal depression, and I would definitely caution anyone who suffers from that to think twice about moving here. We have months of cloud cover and darkness in the winter, and it probably would be tough on anyone who gets depressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh