Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 05:44 PM

22 posts, read 56,822 times

Advertisements

I've been living in the city for almost two years, but in Squirrel Hill. I work on the edge of Wilkinsburg and Homewood, in the corner of Point Breeze, and I'm aware that things happen (like someone shooting up the Sunoco on the Wilkinsburg border last year, albeit at 2 a.m.).

The point is that we're looking at an apartment that's rather generously been listed on a Regent Square properties site, when it's pretty much just straight-up Wilkinsburg. 4 bedrooms (for 4 of us), looks very nice inside, and pets allowed, for 999 + utilities, and it all seems awesome -- except that it's at about the corner of S. Trenton and South Ave. I know a few people who live / have lived off Peebles, and I know and like Regent Square (proper), and I know that I already hate waiting for the bus in Wilkinsburg after dark (at that Sunoco) -- So I ask the city-data community: Should we go for this place, or will living in this neighborhood be a problem? I've seen info about places further from Penn on the site, but not about this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 07:12 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,932,363 times
So that is definitely not Regent Square, nor even Park Place (the neighborhood to the west). But South Trenton and South isn't a particularly bad corner . . . there is a little row of commercial buildings (I used to use the laundromat back when I lived on the 400 block of East End), and to the northwest is the Peebles Square project.

I guess if you know people who lived around Peebles you basically know the deal. If I were still in my single/cheap-apartment days, I'd certainly consider it, but only you can assess your comfort level with a pretty transitional neighborhood like that.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:05 PM

22 posts, read 56,822 times
Yeah, I'm sure we'll base our decision on the feel, in the end. I guess my only worry is that none of us have cars, which means a lot of potential being outside on foot at whatever hours -- Right now, I have no problem walking from the Forbes bus stop to my apartment after 1 a.m., but I sincerely doubt I'd have that luxury out in Wilkinsburg. But we all know security is kind of an illusion, anyway -- but the worst thing I've heard so far in that area besides targeted drug crime was a stolen bike. I figured maybe I wasn't getting the whole story from my friends? It happens -- haha.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:04 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,351,808 times
I don't think it's a particularly bad area although many years ago my girlfriend borrowed my car to visit her mother at Brashear & Peebles and it was stolen in mid afternoon. The cops found it the next day in Homewood, stripped down. At the same location, long before this, they were out in the front yard talking and the thieves went in the back door and robbed them. She still lives there.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,663 times
Default Also apt hunting in regent square/wilkinsburg

i have also been looking for one and two bedroom apts in the regent square/wilkinsburg area. i recently found a nice 2 bedroom apt at 318 s. trenton ave. i know that this area is considered wilkinsburg, but i know not ALL of wilkinsburg is terrible. can anyone tell me if this street/area is good or bad? i know there's crime and whatnot everywhere, but i don't want to live there if there are guns going off all the time. also, i would have to take a bus to oakland everyday for work. is this particular street/area safe to walk around in late at night (around midnight or so)?

Old 04-17-2010, 02:36 PM

2,887 posts, read 5,118,798 times
318 S Trenton is half a block from the Trenton/South corner, looks to be right on the other side of the street from that 'business district'. I always thought that part of the street had some potential but it looks like it's seen better days, but could also be worse. Hard to figure out which way it's going though.

Whether that part of Wilkinsburg is OK for you is purely a question of your own tolerance criteria -- it's not all that gritty but not all that clean either. Only a few blocks south and southwest from there would already be 10x better IMO. IIRC there's a bus from Shadyside and Oakland that runs on Peebles and South Ave going outbound, and another street (Kelly St?) when it goes inbound.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:52 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,683,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhustle View Post
I've been living in the city for almost two years, but in Squirrel Hill. I work on the edge of Wilkinsburg and Homewood, in the corner of Point Breeze, and I'm aware that things happen (like someone shooting up the Sunoco on the Wilkinsburg border last year, albeit at 2 a.m.).

The point is that we're looking at an apartment that's rather generously been listed on a Regent Square properties site, when it's pretty much just straight-up Wilkinsburg. 4 bedrooms (for 4 of us), looks very nice inside, and pets allowed, for 999 + utilities, and it all seems awesome -- except that it's at about the corner of S. Trenton and South Ave. I know a few people who live / have lived off Peebles, and I know and like Regent Square (proper), and I know that I already hate waiting for the bus in Wilkinsburg after dark (at that Sunoco) -- So I ask the city-data community: Should we go for this place, or will living in this neighborhood be a problem? I've seen info about places further from Penn on the site, but not about this area.
We originally looked at an apartment at the Trenton Square facility, which I believe is very close to if not right near where you are looking. Steiner properties owns it, which admittedly, they have a lot of nice properties in the area. The do advertise a lot of their properties as "Regent Square" when they are not. The first thing I noticed when we went to see it was the Wilkinsburg Borough sign we passed even before getting to the apartments. The next thing I noticed was a window shattered by gunfire in the laundry room. The employee who was showing us the facility said it was from a BB gun, I told him I knew better than that. After we toured the facility, we ate at Ryans Pub, and the waitress said there were break ins in that area all the time. We found a great place on South Braddock, almost to Penn Avenue that we love. I also remember an actual murder at the Sunoco you mention, but it was October of 08 and it was around 9:30pm at night. I however, feel perfectly safe.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:55 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,932,363 times
The 300 block of S Trenton is in the transition zone between Park Place, a neighborhood I have no problem recommending, and the parts of Wilkinsburg that would take more of an urban pioneer spirit. I think that area is eventually going to come along, and I wouldn't personally feel it was unacceptably unsafe to live there, but you'll have to assess your own comfort level with such an area.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:13 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,611,379 times
I'm actually thinking about being extra careful when it comes to the Craigslist ads for that area, because the same rental agencies are touting certain areas as Regent Square, when they are for the other areas. Be careful and use the maps.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,335 times
Default Reviving the thread, cause I'm looking to move back

I still own a house in Regent Square back to the right of McBrooms as you come off the parkway. My ex wife has the house, and I'm happy she does because it is the anchor for our daughter. I live in Greentree now, cause I had a bad experience with renting within walking distance to my old house. There are many nice homes and rental that are on the other side of Braddock avenue, and the Regent Square Sprawl seems to be spreading. However, no matter where you live off of Braddock you need to secure your property. Real Estate agents and rental agents are calling things Regent Square that are not even close to the concept. I don't know what the boundaries are, but it seems to be sprawling into Wilkinsburg. The school district there is not good. Local private schools range from 6K (for parish schools) to 15K/20K for the good private schools. Also, if you are in Wilkinsburg, the property taxes are insane if you are buying. As a result, the rent is inflated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh