Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 10:02 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
There's one on East Ohio in Deutchtown.
I'm aware of that. But it's not Central Northside, although it does point out that there's an opportunity for entire Northside/Allegheny area in the Chinese cuisine niche.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 06:48 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I'm aware of that. But it's not Central Northside, although it does point out that there's an opportunity for entire Northside/Allegheny area in the Chinese cuisine niche.
Sure, I guess. Honestly, the longer I live there the more that I view all of three neighborhoods surrounding the park as one large neighborhood. None of Allegheny West, CNS or Deutchtown is so large that they fully function as a self-contained neighborhood and accessibility between them, even purely by foot, is pretty good. I'm in parts of the other two neighborhoods for more often than I am in the upper War Streets for instance.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:56 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Sure, I guess. Honestly, the longer I live there the more that I view all of three neighborhoods surrounding the park as one large neighborhood. None of Allegheny West, CNS or Deutchtown is so large that they fully function as a self-contained neighborhood and accessibility between them, even purely by foot, is pretty good. I'm in parts of the other two neighborhoods for more often than I am in the upper War Streets for instance.
Agreed... while there is some aesthetic distinctiveness to each of those neighborhoods... they all really function as one large neighborhood (throw Manchester in there too).

Old 09-10-2012, 07:21 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
They should definitely cultivate a sense of all being part of one greater neighborhood, even if they want to retain some identity on a subneighborhood level. Of course I understand this is complicated by a long history of "the North Side" being ill-treated in media coverage and conventional wisdom, such that distinguishing one's neighborhoo from the collective North Side had a practical appeal. But I honestly feel that tide has turned, and in any event you don't have to use "North Side" as the term for this greater neighborhood.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:07 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
more on restaurant development in this area

Piccolo Forno commits to North Side theater site - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 09-10-2012, 06:56 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
I like what I'm hearing about the North Side.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:10 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,252 times
So, as of the CNNC meeting last night the timeline appears to be that construction, in earnest, will begin this fall on the Bradbury building, Masonic Hall and Garden Theater. They're looking at occupancy of apartments sometime next summer and the restaurants to be open by this time next year.

There was also talk of negotiations, with an as yet unnamed tenant, about the second floor space in the Garden Theater, above Picolo Forno, that will be some form of "mixed use" space that would tie-in with the film/movie history of the building. No more details were provided but it initiated some interesting speculation.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:52 AM

Thanks for the update. I can't wait to see some work done.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:28 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Restaurateur Domenic Branduzzi, ... which will likely be named Il Giardino—a tribute to its historic setting—will occupy the former Garden Theater space, and will be a key component in the block’s long-awaited redevelopment. ..Branduzzi says the space will be larger than his current restaurant, at 4,000 square feet, and will likely feature a rear patio. Like Piccolo Forno, the restaurant will include a wood-fired pizza oven, with the addition of a pizza bar.
Eat + Drink: Piccolo Forno to Garden Theater; Stagioni farm dinner; Mac Diner now open; and more

Old 09-21-2012, 07:58 AM

Sounds like it could be a great space, and it is in a great location for visitors doing activities in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh