Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 01:12 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,170,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooddale07 View Post
Well perhaps I may need to break down and get a car after my first semester. The Cork Factory lofts in the Strip District look nice, and they would be close to downtown. There also seems to be a wide variety of unique looking homes in Shadyside that I will look into when I come out.

Thanks again for your advice everyone.
Look up reviews on the Cork Factory before you take the plunge. I read some blurbs where people were bitching about the trains and lack of insulation between residences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 01:13 PM

29,640 posts, read 34,129,603 times
There's this apartment building up Forbes a bit in Uptown: http://www.rivercityflats.com/index.html. It may be a bit "urban pioneer" for the OP, though.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
There's this apartment building up Forbes a bit in Uptown: :: Welcome to River City Flats ::. It may be a bit "urban pioneer" for the OP, though.
I doubt the OP wants to live in Uptown.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:27 PM

6 posts, read 10,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
There's this apartment building up Forbes a bit in Uptown: :: Welcome to River City Flats ::. It may be a bit "urban pioneer" for the OP, though.
Those look fantastic. However, the price seems a little too good to be true. Is Uptown not a good area? Looks close to quite a bit. There are also some nice new rentals in Marketplace Square by 5th & Liberty. How's that area?

Old 03-15-2010, 01:27 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,553,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
I found out the building I was thinking of is an overpriced condo building... Sorry.

I guess there are a lot of Condo's in town that go for upwards of 3 or 4 hundred thousand, but aren't there some nice rentals over on Penn, right around 7th and 8th? He'd be within walking distance of Duquesne, and there's a lot of activity in that area and below in the evenings and on the weekends.
There are some rentals on Penn I think. Penn Garrison I believe is a rental building. Also some new ones at Market Square above the old Murphy's building. And the Century Building on 7th, a new convert. Most of these are bigger buildings though. Maybe not boring. None as big as the Cork Factory. Plus, rentals in downtown seem to fill fast. Century Building was all rented even before it opened, supposedly.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:36 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,553,227 times
Uptown is, as I mentioned before, not quite baked. While Duquesne could itself sorta be considered to be in Uptown, the end where River City Flats is would be a little bit urban pioneer. The coffee shop is there now (River City Flats is the building where Asylum Coffee Bar is, and the owner of the building is part owner of the shop.) But there's about zip else to walk to particularly nearby. On good days you could probably walk to downtown. Nothing to do at night, no restaurants, etc, apart from downtown or at least in the Duquesne vicinity. (Asylum could change that a little; I heard there was a plan to sell wine which means a liquor license I guess which means it could then be a liquor bar at night. Don't know how far off that is.

Asylum is at 1919 Forbes, so I suppose on good days that wouldn't be bad (I mean, you need a dozen or so blocks to get anywhere meaningful downtown by walking), but I'm not sure what it would be like to walk up there at night.

The price is appropriate given the location. Have to take a bit of a leap to live there.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:37 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,392,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
There are some rentals on Penn I think. Penn Garrison I believe is a rental building. Also some new ones at Market Square above the old Murphy's building. And the Century Building on 7th, a new convert. Most of these are bigger buildings though. Maybe not boring. None as big as the Cork Factory. Plus, rentals in downtown seem to fill fast. Century Building was all rented even before it opened, supposedly.
I think of coming back to live in Pgh someday. If I do I'd like to live in town. I know it's not so easy yet, still no big market, plus much of the city is dark after business hours. I remember when it wasn't this way. I used to love downtown. I spent so much time there as a kid and into my 20's.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooddale07 View Post
Is Uptown not a good area?
Duquesne is in Uptown, but the part that borders downtown. The rest of Uptown is run down. There is nothing there but some dilapidated buildings, a dive bar here and there, and a blood plasma selling center. These are not usually the hallmarks of a healthy and thriving neighborhood. But, if you like selling your plasma...then go for it!

Old 03-15-2010, 02:34 PM

4,357 posts, read 6,500,412 times
Southside still fits the bill best IMO. This makes the commute to work walkable also.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:39 AM

3 posts, read 5,713 times
Don't forget little Polish Hill
It boarders Downtown, Bloomfield, Lauranceville, and Oakland. Wonderful mix of oldtimers and academics, artists, and punkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh