U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-04-2007, 04:23 AM

40,271 posts, read 43,183,163 times
Default Bats in my Pittsburgh Belfry!

Someone asked about the bat situation in Pittsburgh the other day so I wanted to share my experience.

I woke up this morning to a BAT flying around in my bedroom!

OMGoodness!

I'm amazed I woke up out of a sound sleep to the sound of it fluttering around the room. It was swoosh, swoosh. Without looking, I knew immediately what it was and dove under the covers! I heard it crash so I peaked out from under the covers to grab my cel phone to call hubby! My dog's head was perked----he knew something was in the room too! I calmly said, "Todd, stay" and dialed hubby to WHINE!

It was pitch black in my room. I had no idea where it was! Somehow I mustered the courage to grab the dog and get to the bedroom door. My heart is still racing! I knew I needed to get back in there to open a window screen so it could find it's way out.

Todd was sitting at the door wanting back in the bedroom. Todd wanted that BAT! OMGoodness! Having a bat in the house is bad enough. The LAST thing I ever want to contend with is a Todd with a bat in his mouth!

I closed Todd in the bathroom and did the only logical thing a mother could do: I woke my teenage son to help!

We huddled at the door and formulated our plan of action. My son was to stand at the doorway to keep watch while I went in to open the window screen. We opened the door and it was flying around in the room in big circles. We closed the door and reformulated the plan.

I grabbed a blanket and threw it over my head and proceeded to make my way through the room to open the screen while my son watched where it was. Then I ran out of the room, shut off the light and closed the door. My heart was racing!

I grabbed a sweater and went to the store in my pajamas. When I came home, I went back up and peaked in the doorway. My bat must be retarded! It's still in there on top of the OTHER window ledge!

Hubby said, "Good. Leave it there so I know where it is when I get home." Yeah, right, like I'm going to go play with it.

I told my husband that if his brother brining us the tall ladder is the only thing stopping us from kicking them out of the roof then I'm going to call him myself to let him know the IMPORTANCE of his getting that ladder to our house. He was supposed to bring it last week but never showed up.

We knew we had bats in our belfry last fall. But they went into hibernation before we had a chance to kick them out. Now it's spring and they are out of hibernation, but my unreliable brother-in-law is between us and our getting the bats out of the house.

I'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO SLEEP IN MY BEDROOM AGAIN!

The only logical solution is to sell the house!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 04:54 AM

OMGoodness! I'm going to be stuck with these bats in my house until September!

They can't be expelled during June, July or August because the babies don't know how to fly yet.

It might be only the 4th of June, but we won't be able to expell them for a week because we need time to count them.

By next week, it will be too late. I don't like the idea of expelling them and leaving baby bats to rot and die inside the walls of my house.

Where will I sleep until September?

Old 06-04-2007, 05:38 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,581,361 times
Im in Vermont (did grow up in Mt. Lebo, tho' ) and saw this
on the forum page........
We get bats all the time. They can fit through a hole the size of
a pencil. If you have a screen with a hole in it and perhaps(?) left
a light on, he was just bug hunting. They love to eat insects.
I can get them in one or two shots now.....they always circle
counterclockwise. I have a huge tupperware container that I clap
on them while they are doing those insane, but easily timeable circles
around whatever room they are in. Its real easy once you do it a few
times One time my wife was cleaning the guest bedroom and started
to freak out. I thought a sasquatch might have wandered in for a nap...
but, it was just a BIG bat that was asleep on the curtain. It was crazy..
He was just hanging upside down just like in a movie. I touched him
and he didnt wake up....his little handsies where gripping the curtain even
while he was sleeping. This called for a smaller extraction tool....So , I
found a little clear plastic container and clapped it over him. Then he
woke up and started to hiss and sort of go nuts. The look on his little
batpuss was frightening...between the hissing and showing of is pointed
fangs, even I was a little scared...thats a fearsome looking little critter !
We also have chipmunks and squirrels that get into out attic. All I
can say is just be glad you have bats instead of these nasty little pests.
The worst !!! They are driving us nuts !!! As soon as I think Ive extracted
all of them we get about 4 quiet days and then we hear the tell tale
running acoss the attic floor at four in the morning. We are going to
FLA on th 19th. I will be much happier to be dealing with Gators than
Chipmunks

Old 06-04-2007, 06:02 AM

Thanks for sharing your story, KoZmiC NinJa! I'm glad we're not dealing with chipmunks and squirrels. But bats can have rabies. You should go outside at dusk and dawn to watch for an hour to see if you have bats in your house. It sounds like you have way too many occurrences of bats inside the house for them to be just random bug hunters.

We definitely have bats in our belry! This wasn't a random bug hunter. We discovered they had moved to our house last fall. We sat outside at dusk and counted them for a week (counting is necessary so you know for sure they are all out of the building before you close up the entrance) and they went into hibernation before we had a chance to evict them.

Hubby didn't believe they were hibernating in our attic, but last week one was flying around in my bedroom at dusk. I just opened the window, turned off the light, and left it to find it's way out. We were waiting for my brother-in-law to bring the tall ladder (our tallest ladder doesn't reach the top of our roof).

Now I've learned that we've waited too long. We can't evict them until September or the babies will die in the walls of my house. I'm still tempted though. It's only the 4th of June. Maybe not many babies have been born yet.

Oh, for the update: When hubby came home, he put gloves on and tried to pick it up from the top window ledge (our trip sticks out rather far). The bat latched on and showed it's nasty teeth to hubby. He got a pencil and used it to push the bat onto his gloved hand, then put it out the open window. It flew away.

I guess I'll be spending the summer sleeping on the sofa.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:10 AM

YIKES !!! I might call an exterminator !!! A bat man ?!?!?! Sorry.......
Thats a lot. Sometimes I can see them trying to get in an old
blocked up chiminey we have and they make a little chirping type
noise too.......
I guess its good our two lethargic cats look at them and just walk
away. I wouldnt want to have to get the kitty tested for rabies
if they caught one, but they just dont care.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
YIKES !!! I might call an exterminator !!! A bat man ?!?!?! Sorry.......
A bat man---too funny!

You can do it yourself---you just need to count them over a period of a week so you have an accurate count of how many live in your house. Then one night at dusk, you sit outside and count them until they all leave and then climb up and close the hole. When they come back in the morning, they will go find someone elses house to invade becuase they can't get back into yours. Then the most important thing to do is wait three days and climb up and open up the hole again sometime during the day before dusk. That way any who didn't go feed the first night will be very hungry and they'll definitely leave. After an hour or two after dusk, climb back up and close the hole. Remember, you'll need to wait until September before you can evict them.

Quote:
Thats a lot.
Last fall, we counted approximately 40. It will be interesting to see how they multiply, but I imagine they've only doubled in size---if that. I'll let you know after I do my count in the fall when the babies are flying out too.

Quote:
Sometimes I can see them trying to get in an old blocked up chiminey we have and they make a little chirping type
noise too.......
Yep! You've got bats in your belfry for sure! They're not TRYING to get into the chiminey. They're living there. A bat will make multiple attempts to grab on to the entrance before going in. Just this morning when I was coming back from the store I watched one bat make 11 attempts before it successfully latched on to get inside.

Quote:
I guess its good our two lethargic cats look at them and just walk away. I wouldnt want to have to get the kitty tested for rabies if they caught one, but they just dont care.
I'd still take the cats to the vets to get their rabies vaccinations. My dogs are vaccinated, but I think they are overdue for their booster. The first thing I'm doing today is getting a vet appointment to update their vaccinations.

If you ever get bitten by a bat, make sure you keep it. Go to the emergency room and take the bat with you. They'll need to disect it's brain to see if it has rabies. They will ONLY stop giving you rounds of rabies shots if they can find positive proof the bat doesn't have rabies. Otherwise, whoever gets bitten will have to endure a full round of rabies shots. You can't risk waiting for symptoms of rabies before going to the doctor. By then, it will be too late and you'll definitely die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabies
Treatment after exposure, known as post-exposure prophylaxis or "P.E.P.", is highly successful in preventing the disease if administered promptly, within fourteen days after infection. The first step is immediately washing the wound with soap and water, which is very effective at reducing the number of viral particles. In the United States, patients receive one dose of immunoglobulin and five doses of rabies vaccine over a twenty-eight day period. One-half the dose of immunoglobulin is injected in the region of the bite, if possible, with the remainder injected intramuscularly away from the bite. This is much less painful compared with administering immunoglobulin through the abdominal wall with a large needle, which is how it was done in the past. The first dose of rabies vaccine is given as soon as possible after exposure, with additional doses on days three, seven, fourteen, and twenty-eight after the first. Patients that have previously received pre-exposure vaccination do not receive the immunoglobulin, only the post-exposure vaccinations. Since the widespread vaccination of domestic dogs and cats and the development of effective human vaccines and immunoglobulin treatments, the number of recorded deaths in the U.S. from rabies has dropped from one hundred or more annually in the early twentieth century, to 12 per year, mostly caused by bat bites, which may go unnoticed by the victim and hence untreated.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:03 AM

Hey, thanks Hopes !!
I feel like I just watched a great show on The Animal Channel !!
Great stuff !!!!

We ahd a family of Racoons living in a chiminy in Mt. Lebanon
but when the mommy had her babies, she left. We saw them all
walking across the roof one evening and it was something I still
remember.
I can only wish I could adapt to new situations the way
animals can !

Old 08-21-2008, 12:47 AM

10,558 posts, read 13,538,588 times
The first time I saw a bat in the house, I called the cops and saild, "I think I have a bat in the house". The dispatcher said, "I think I'll call the bat patrol." It wasn't too long before the pd showed up and we had a pretty good laugh. I learned something about the nocturnal squirrel cousins that night..

Got a bat? Turn on every light in your house. Bats hate light.

Turn off your fornt porch light. They like the dark.

Open the front door. They find their own way out with a little encouragement from a broom or mop. Most of the time they leave without help once they see the open door.

Bats do not like dogs. If a dog caught a bat it is probably sick.

Bats enter through all kinds of places. Really old houses very often have open eaves. if you keep the attic door dosed tightly you'll never see one. The only reason I had bats in the house was because a realtor left the attic door open.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:43 AM

2,833 posts, read 2,599,247 times
When I lived in Lebo we had one somehow get into the house. There was a party going on and I think it accidently came in through the basement w/garage enterence as it may have been dark in there at first. Someone just caught it using a throw (blanket) and off he/she went into the night.

I LOVE bats, they are great insect eaters. Wish there were more in Minnesota where I am now. I see a few but not as many as I was used to seeing in Pittsburgh and then Wisconsin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh