U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-20-2010, 07:38 PM
 
127 posts, read 135,767 times
Reputation: 67
Default Wal-Mart not coming to East Hills Shopping Center

I just read this:

Wal-Mart ditches plan to build store in East Hills Shopping Center - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

As much as I would love to see my old neighborhood turn around for the better, I knew this plan wouldn't work. It's a shame though as all of the good people that live in Penn Hills and Wilkinsburg need stores like Wal-Mart and Lowes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-21-2010, 01:52 AM
 
Location: Lancaster County, PA & Sh-ittsburgh, PA
823 posts, read 1,008,401 times
Reputation: 192
The percentage of shoplifting would have probably been HUGE just like the North Versailles & West Mifflin stores. Better to deal with what you have rather than take on more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2010, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, USA
3,134 posts, read 5,412,261 times
Reputation: 1027
I thought it was crazy of Zayre's(?) to build a new store there years back when almost every business had already left. I didn't understand why every checkout had American Express applications only. Who else is supposed to locate there, Target or Home Depot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2010, 07:07 PM
 
275 posts, read 360,361 times
Reputation: 194
Nothing will survive there...high crime area and suprisingly Giant Eagle is still there. Only one I have every been inside that has a security guard at the front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2010, 07:30 PM
 
127 posts, read 135,767 times
Reputation: 67
I was really hopeful that Walmart and Lowes would come to East Hills, but I knew in the back of my mind that even if they did come, the stores would never last. It was rumored that K-mart was supposed to come there a few years back, but they never did. I read some article elsewhere that Walmart and Lowes basically said that they didn't want to risk having their employees work in a high crime area. It's sad as that area desperately needs retail stores to serve the people that live there and be a catalyst to help turn that area around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2010, 10:33 PM
 
40,271 posts, read 43,136,544 times
Reputation: 25298
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennHillsNative80 View Post
As much as I would love to see my old neighborhood turn around for the better, I knew this plan wouldn't work.
Walmart doesn't turn neighborhoods around for the better! Walmart destroys area small businesses! Walmart is a catalyst for destruction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennHillsNative80 View Post
It's a shame though as all of the good people that live in Penn Hills and Wilkinsburg need stores like Wal-Mart and Lowes.
Why do people who live in Wilkinsburg need a Lowes? There's a Home Depot right down the street!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2010, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Lancaster County, PA & Sh-ittsburgh, PA
823 posts, read 1,008,401 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts10yrs View Post
Nothing will survive there...high crime area and suprisingly Giant Eagle is still there. Only one I have every been inside that has a security guard at the front.
Giant Eagle on Wharton Street, South Side has a Pittsburgh Police officer on duty right inside the door during late afternoon/evenings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2010, 06:23 AM
 
Location: Yeah
3,191 posts, read 3,663,325 times
Reputation: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Walmart doesn't turn neighborhoods around for the better! Walmart destroys area small businesses! Walmart is a catalyst for destruction!
You're a Wal Mart hater too? Quite a resume you got there. Wal Mart's are only successful because people shop there. If more people would support home town businesses there wouldn't be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2010, 06:23 AM
 
Location: Portland, OR
4,262 posts, read 3,741,584 times
Reputation: 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
Giant Eagle on Wharton Street, South Side has a Pittsburgh Police officer on duty right inside the door during late afternoon/evenings.
As does the one in Shadyside (Shakespere)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2010, 07:14 AM
 
Location: New Kensington (Parnassus) ,Pa
2,424 posts, read 751,209 times
Reputation: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennHillsNative80 View Post
I just read this:

Wal-Mart ditches plan to build store in East Hills Shopping Center - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

As much as I would love to see my old neighborhood turn around for the better, I knew this plan wouldn't work. It's a shame though as all of the good people that live in Penn Hills and Wilkinsburg need stores like Wal-Mart and Lowes.
Yea, and get robbed blind by the ghetto people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top