Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 03:16 PM

9 posts, read 17,116 times

Advertisements

i've been lurking around this forum for the past six months or so, after having stumbled upon pittsburgh as a viable place to relocate. and i figured it was high time to create a username and introduce myself, ask questions, and hopefully participate in the conversations going on here.

i'm 23 and live in brooklyn. i'm originally from outside frederick, maryland and went to new york for college. my boyfriend and i have decided to move to pittsburgh for the next chapters of our lives.

new york is what it is, and anything and everything can and has been said about it, but for me it stopped being what i'd wanted it to be after about five years. the kind of creative urban lifestyle i'd been imagining, where one can work and play and (most importantly) live, does not exist in new york unless you're willing to give up something huge--like free time or living space--or unless you have a trust fund. after graduating college and experiencing hour-long commutes on overcrowded subway trains to an uberstressful work environment and a monthly rent that's twice as much as a pittsburgh mortgage payment, i'm ready to get the hell out.

we've visited pittsburgh a couple of times and were pleasantly surprised to find that the city lived up to the expectations we'd been harboring during all our research. the geography of the city is striking, and the combination of grit and greenery lends the kind of character we're looking for. and the first evening we drove into the city, heading to the north side to crash with some couchsurfers, i stopped by a bar to pick up some beer and had the most genuine impromptu conversation with a bartender i think i've ever had.

without going into personal details, i discovered i'd likely be bringing in similar levels of income that i do presently in new york, but my expenses would basically be halved. that, with the addition of the ability to buy a house in a burgeoning, walkable urban neighborhood (you guys, it's crazy), has pretty much sealed the deal.

aside from craigslist, do you have any other recommendations for finding a house sublet rental for a few months until we're settled with jobs and ready to buy a house? have any of you had experience with month-to-month sublets?

so thanks for all the threads with so much information; in a couple months' time pittsburgh will be gaining a couple of liberal environmentalist cat-loving brooklyn homos.

Last edited by kolk; 03-22-2010 at 03:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 03:56 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,936,998 times
Extended Stay Living | The Apartment Alternative | InTown Suites Corporate Accommodations-Pittsburgh, PA-Fully Furnished and Equipped Short-Term Apartments Corporate Housing - BridgeStreet - Corporate Apartments, Temporary Housing, Extended Stay

its a great city and i lived in a few coporate apts before moving to Southside, I lived in Sunnyside ny and NYC and you will find dah burgh a great place culturally and the people are AWESOME!

Old 03-22-2010, 09:46 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,696,843 times
Welcome to 'burgh guys. You're really going to enjoy your next few years.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:00 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I can't help you with month-to-month rentals, but I wanted to share that it's sometimes easier to find rentals by driving around and looking for 'for rent' signs.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:05 AM

809 posts, read 2,409,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolk View Post
without going into personal details, i discovered i'd likely be bringing in similar levels of income that i do presently in new york, but my expenses would basically be halved. that, with the addition of the ability to buy a house in a burgeoning, walkable urban neighborhood (you guys, it's crazy), has pretty much sealed the deal.

People will say "but it's Pittsburgh!" Just ignore them, they'll be paying half their rent for 2x the space in an awesome urban walkable neighborhood

Old 03-23-2010, 07:15 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
As an aside, Pittsburgh right now reminds me a lot of Brooklyn in the early-90s (I graduated from college in 1993 and a bunch of my college friends moved to NYC, and I used to do a lot of road trips to see them).

Anyway, we have a house, our former residence, which we rented out through a real estate agent. She does a lot of whole-house rentals for people new to the area, and in our case negotiated an initial 6-month lease (we have since kept extending with the same tenant). I believe she said she has done even shorter terms as well. So if you would like her contact information, just PM me and I will pass it along.

Edit: Oh, and Pittsburgh is arguably the best place in the country if you are looking for reasonably-priced historic, walkable, centrally-located neighborhoods in a larger city. That is certainly a big part of why we decided to settle here.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:25 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
Welcome to Pittsburgh, guys! From your post, I think you're going to fit in nicely in whatever neighborhood you decide on. You'll be able to afford a higher standard of living than you ever could in New York. Lots of available housing that you can fix up on your own in walkable neighborhoods. And yes, you'll continue to strike up conversations with perfect strangers everywhere - it's just that kind of place. Don't be surprised if you're invited to Sunday dinner by an old-fashioned grandmother who thinks you need some home cooking.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:36 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
You might find it interesting, there was an article in today's Post-Gazette about a couple who chose to move to Pittsburgh because they liked the city not because of jobs or family. Anyway, welcome to the Burgh.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
People will say "but it's Pittsburgh!" Just ignore them, they'll be paying half their rent for 2x the space in an awesome urban walkable neighborhood
you know, i haven't really found people to be so dismissive. my responses have been "what's in pittsburgh?" with a legitimate curiosity or just "oh, cool." i think the sense that new york is unlivable in some ways is pretty relatable with younger, freshly post-grad kids, unless they're hungry for a specific career path that requires them to be in the city.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
As an aside, Pittsburgh right now reminds me a lot of Brooklyn in the early-90s (I graduated from college in 1993 and a bunch of my college friends moved to NYC, and I used to do a lot of road trips to see them).
really interesting. what parts of brooklyn in the early '90s did you hang out in? have you ever been to the gowanus canal and the streets abutting it? i love the look of the grassy, overgrown empty lot, the aging brick buildings, the bridges and warehouses. i'd say that's aesthetically my favorite part of brooklyn, and that's what's drawn me to pittsburgh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
if you are looking for reasonably-priced historic, walkable, centrally-located neighborhoods in a larger city
nail on the head!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh