U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-30-2010, 02:11 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,723,815 times

Advertisements

You really don't want to get into sharing any details of being fired.

Simply say that you were laid off.

In this economy, few people will question it---especially since you have good references.

Even if you get a job, continue to fight the unemployment appeal.

Winning the appeal will legally protect you from your employer in the future. Plus, you'll be paid for back weeks of unemployment.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 02:37 PM

2,424 posts, read 904,366 times
All advice here is good, Internet superman is right, make sure you bring all evidence and make sure witnesses show up. Maybe you'll get lucky and your employer won't show and you win by default.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:21 PM

3 posts, read 16,383 times
I was employed for almost 3 yrs when the store manager told a co worker i had to resign or be fired i chose to resign and unemployment denied my claim so i am appealing that because the manager went to a co worker and told him that i had to quit that this is a major breach of policy and unjust for a manager to do. do i have a chance at winning the appeal

Old 05-05-2010, 04:52 PM

112 posts, read 134,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly1013 View Post
I was employed for almost 3 yrs when the store manager told a co worker i had to resign or be fired i chose to resign and unemployment denied my claim so i am appealing that because the manager went to a co worker and told him that i had to quit that this is a major breach of policy and unjust for a manager to do. do i have a chance at winning the appeal
What was the reason behind the termination?

Old 05-05-2010, 05:05 PM

712 posts, read 1,085,917 times
If the store manager wanted to fire you, he should have went to you and said " You're Fired!" just like on the Jetsons.

You just saying that he told a co worker that you needed to quit is not a good enough reason for you to quit. If they fired you, they would have had to have had a very good reason for firing you. So you must have done something wrong for them to want to fire you.

When you quit a job - you will not get any unemployment compensation.
On the other hand, you do have money paid into your compensation claim and all you need to do is work another job for about 6 weeks, or enough time to make about 10 times the amount of your weekly benefits and then get that employer to lay you off and you would get your unemployment..

Never quit a job! Unless you are so dissatisfied with your job that you cannot see any other way out. Or as in the case of my last employer, I was spending more money on gasoline and a vehicle than what I was making going to work!

Old 05-17-2010, 12:38 PM

If an employer makes a false claim of harassment on behalf of another employee and the uses that to cause the ending of employment of another employee what are the ramifications of that for both parties. The employer went to an unemployment hearing and under oath lied about the facts and made false claims at the hearing what would the best recourse be.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:49 PM

51 posts, read 86,162 times
Unless you have a witness or someone to corroborate your version and show that they are being untruthful, it all comes down to whom the officer finds the most credible.

I'm going through an attempt to fight a denial of unemployment benefits now (albeit in Colorado) and anyone who could be a witness to my version of events still works for my ex-employer, so naturally they do not want to testify against their current employer. My former boss has been very Clinton-esque during the hearing (which was half done last week and will reconvene June 2) regarding my testimony, saying things like "I don't remember exactly what I said but if I did say something like that what I meant was this" and all that. Soooo stressful.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:07 PM

I have a witness that is going to the decision appeal hearing and I have my employer on tape contradicting himself as to what was said at the first hearing

Old 05-28-2010, 11:10 PM

7 posts, read 14,006 times
Default Can I win this unemployment case?

"It sounds that you were found in violation of a work rule. In order to be found ineligable for unemployment benefits, your employer must prove to a state examiner that you were the cause of an unsafe work place. Once that is proven, the burden of proof shifts you to explain your actions. If you cannot prove you had good reason for your actions, you will be denied unemployment compensation."

Could you tell me more about what that means, violation of a work rule? I was a supervisor. I was present in a hallway that is on CCTV camera when another worker hung up a security guard uniform that we saw in a trash can in the hallway. Another supervisor was there too. This hospital I worked out is laying off more than 200 people, and it seems they are doing this because I was making 55k and they want to get rid of me without having to pay me unemployment. I had not had any write ups since 2002 before this. In March they called me in and suspended me for three days, and then when this uniform being hung up thing happened, they demoted the other supervisor who was there, wrote up the kid who hung the uniform up for like the 6th time or so (his mother is a powerful nurse manager there) and told me I had another write up within the last 90 days so I'm fired. They're saying that was a violation of a work rule me not telling him to take down the uniform. The other write up from March was under appeal by me, and they were putting off meeting with me for 6 weeks. The other supervisor who was with me when the uniform was hung up was acting director of the department was going to throw out the March write up if we could get the meeting. When the boy hung the uniform up, I called the one boss on the cordless phone and told him we had something funny we wanted to show him. He said he didn't want to hear about whatever it was that he needed me over in human resourses (about a quarter mile away) for a meeting. A half hour after the meeting he called me wanting to know who hung the uniform up. I said the boy did, no reason to lie, it's on camera. Then a half hour after that they called me into a big meeting with two bosses and the boy and someone from HR. I said if we we going to intentially do something wrong, why would we do it on camera, and why would I call you and say we wanted to show you something funny. They said, not funny, and called us in three days later and did the demotion, write up, and my termination.

Any questions? Can they win this at a hearing? We are supposed to have a five step disciplinary processs, verbal, verbal written, written, suspension, termination? Can they fire me in two steps against their policy for one write up that was under appeal and another trivial incident that should not even be an incident. Again, they are doing this to cut the budget and not pay me unemployment. I have performance appraisals, bonuses, all sorts of awards and letters saying I am fantastic. Can they throw all that away for one practical joke that I did not even actually do myself? An hour after I was fired my one boss made statements in front of a policeman how unfairly I was treated and said to give him a few days he was going to try to get me my job back. How much proof do I need to prove it was un unfair and unethical action to fire me and keep the other two people involved? Also, how much does it cost to subpeona people? You can definately do that? I'm going to ask whatever lawyer I decide to go with to subpeona multiple people at work who are all on my side, and the cop too. Can I do that and what will all that subpeonaing cost?

A couple of you seem to really know about this stuff. What do you think?

Old 05-29-2010, 05:35 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,137,223 times
PA unemployment is impossible. My sister got removed from the schedule at Walmart after working there 8 years. Two months later they informed her that she had abandoned the job. During each appeal of the unemployment, Walmart presented a different reason as to why she was terminated. In any other venue (EEOC, whistleblower, etc.) if the reasons behind the termination begin shifting, they are deemed to not be credible. Not with PA's unemployment board. It was denied to the very end. Reading the various opinions it seemed like they had been written by Walmart. Each 'judge' (or reviewer or whatever) in the appeal process had a different reason for denying the claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh