U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 12:06 PM

18 posts, read 35,345 times
Default Moving to Pittsburgh

Hi all,

I will be moving to Pittsburgh from NJ in a month's time.
I will be working in downtown Pittsburgh.(close to one mellon center)

Please suggest some suburban area close to downtown where it is safe,has public transport and good daycare facility and schools too.

Are trains more reliable than buses ?

also,could someone tell me what is this wage tax and who is required to pay that ? i will be working in downtown but staying in a suburban area so what is the percentage of wage tax applicable to me ?

thanks in advance for your reply.

Anja

Last edited by Anjgupa; 03-29-2010 at 12:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 12:36 PM

1,720 posts, read 2,393,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjgupa View Post
Hi all,

Please suggest some suburban area close to downtown where it is safe,has public transport and good daycare facility and schools too.

also,could someone tell me what is this wage tax and who is required to pay that ? i will be working in downtown but staying in a suburban area so what is the percentage of wage tax applicable to me ?

Anja
How much money do you have and what kind of environment do you want to live in? I would check out Ross, North Hills in general, and maybe Aspinwall. Check out Sewickley, Fox Chapel, and Upper St. Clair if you have money. Most of the surrounding municipalities have a 1% local wage tax. In the city limits it goes up to 3%.

Public transportation in the suburban areas of Pittsburgh either sucks or is pretty much non-existent. There is only one train in the Pittsburgh area and that is the "T". It is a train/subway thing that goes from several southern suburban areas to downtown. There are busses that service some suburban areas, but I have heard they are horrible (you will be waiting at the bus stop forever). In my opinion, you're better off having your own car in the suburbs (even during rush hour).

Old 03-29-2010, 01:02 PM

745 posts, read 1,449,985 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Anja
Since you're working in downtown, and want good public transit, I think Mt. Lebanon is a good place to check out. Look at real estate near the T stops and your commute will be pretty quick to downtown.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:08 PM

thanks to you both for the inputs.

i used to work in NYC so the only option from NJ was public transit.

Likewise office at Pittsburgh is located in downtown i thought that public transportation was the only option.

so is having a car good option in Pittsburgh ?
how much is parking in the downtown area ?is it easy to get one ?

i would like to rent a 2BHK (rent amt - $700-$800).i am not sure if i will get a good apt for that in a area where there are good schools.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:32 PM

4,677 posts, read 4,595,146 times
Dont listen to iwonderwhy2124 - sorta has a overall pessimistic view of the burgh...

The Suburbs while not good for relying solely on Public Transit, is still very good for commuting to and from Downtown or Oakland durning the Rush hours...Alot of suburb riders use what called park n' rides...The Drive to a massive free parking lot and catch Express Buses to downtown or oakland.

Inner Ring suburbs that border the city - will have even better bus service...

Old 03-29-2010, 05:14 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,176,727 times
Any suburbs that border the T (light rail) in the south hills, such as the previously mentioned Mt. Lebanon would be good. Dormont may be another good option, although the houses are a bit smaller than Mt. Lebanon.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:20 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,914,052 times
Bus service from the suburbs is fine to Downtown or Oakland, but not really for anything else. You'll still probably want a car to get to the bus stop but it avoids the significant problem and expense of parking at your office.

Ross is a nice suburb as is Mt Lebanon and Dormont all suggested above. I lived in Ross and really liked it. Took about 30 minutes during rush hour, door to door to Oakland. Downtown will be about the same, little longer by bus.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:50 PM

1,720 posts, read 2,393,899 times
Quote:
Dont listen to iwonderwhy2124 - sorta has a overall pessimistic view of the burgh...
Oh boo!

Quote:
i used to work in NYC so the only option from NJ was public transit.
Well, you know how having a car is a major pain in the ass in NYC and public transit is easier? It's the inverse in Pittsburgh in my opinion. Having to rely on public transit is a major pain in the ass.

Quote:
so is having a car good option in Pittsburgh ?
how much is parking in the downtown area ?is it easy to get one ?
Having a car is a good option in Pittsburgh and I find it much better and easier than public transportation. However, the "T" I was talking about does serve several of the southern suburbs like Dormont and Mt. Lebanon. I've never taken it, but it sounds decent from what I hear. I have never had a good experience with our bus system to be honest...especially out in the suburbs. But, maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Not sure how much parking costs downtown. But, it is infinitely cheaper than NYC. Jesus...I was in Midtown once and I had to pay $20 to park my car for 30 minutes.

Quote:
i would like to rent a 2BHK (rent amt - $700-$800).i am not sure if i will get a good apt for that in a area where there are good schools.
You can definately get a decent apartment in a building out in the suburbs for that. Check out the side roads near McKnight Road (the main drag in Ross). There are tons of shopping options and condos/townhouses/apartments there. I think the school system is decent too.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:35 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,914,052 times
Parking downtown is cheaper than NYC, but not cheap. Ballpark will be like $8-10/day or $150-low 200ish a month if you are just doing it on your own without any help from your employer.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:48 AM

Hi All,

Thanks for all the suggestions.I will explore some of the options.

as my employer will not provide me wity parking charges i will have to take a bus/train as the case may be.

How are Green Tree and Crafton ? i heard that they are not far away from city limits but yet not so far away.are there any good apartments in these area and public transport ?

Please advice me on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh