Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 03:42 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times

Advertisements

Has anybody else noticed that most of Pittsburgh's most desirable suburbs are located not too far from I-79? Consider...

- Peters Township
- South Fayette Township
- Upper St. Clair
- Bethel Park
- Mt. Lebanon
- Robinson Township
- Sewickley
- Sewickley Heights
- Sewickley Hills
- Ohio Township
- Ross Township
- Franklin Park
- McCandless
- Pine Township
- Marshall Township
- Cranberry Township
- Seven Fields

The only highly-desirable suburbs I can think of that aren't very close to I-79 include:

- Hampton Township
- Richland Township
- Fox Chapel
- O'Hara Township
- Oakmont
- Murrysville
- Penn Township
- Hempfield Township
- Pleasant Hills
- Jefferson Hills

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like I-79 is emerging as sort of a wealth corridor in the Pittsburgh area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 07:09 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Methinks it's pretty simple: if you're gonna drive in from the burbs anyway, being close to the highway makes that drive a little shorter. That in turn makes those places close to it more desirable, which makes them more expensive, etc. Although it doesn't make everything on I-79 desirable, though. Coraopolis, Glenfield, Kennedy, etc. don't quite fit.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Methinks it's pretty simple: if you're gonna drive in from the burbs anyway, being close to the highway makes that drive a little shorter. That in turn makes those places close to it more desirable, which makes them more expensive, etc. Although it doesn't make everything on I-79 desirable, though. Coraopolis, Glenfield, Kennedy, etc. don't quite fit.
Of course not all of it fits, but a lot of it does. I think it's logical that the I-79 corridor developed this way for a few reasons:

1. Of all the long-haul Interstates, I-79 passes closest to the city of Pittsburgh.

2. The Pennsylvania Turnpike has extremely limited access, reducing its suburban convenience.

3. I-70 is a little bit too far away, being more of an exurban/satellite highway.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:00 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like I-79 is emerging as sort of a wealth corridor in the Pittsburgh area.
I think you have to much time idle time in your day to think of things like this.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I think you have to much time idle time in your day to think of things like this.
That's why I put "wealth corridor" in quotation marks. Still, whether they're middle-class or affluent, most of the suburbs on and near I-79 seem to be pretty desirable places.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:11 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Although it doesn't make everything on I-79 desirable, though. Coraopolis, Glenfield, Kennedy, etc. don't quite fit.
You can easily access Sewickley and Moon from the Coraopolis exit. Moon is debatable, I guess, but it has a lot of nice, wealthy neighborhoods, and a strong school district.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:00 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
The older wealthier areas in the Pittsburgh suburbs were actually located along either rivers or rail/streetcar lines, and I-79 passes near some of them more just because it passes reasonably close to the City's western border and thus passes near the older suburbs on the western side.

But I think it is true some of the newer wealthier suburban areas have located near I-79, for the same reason the older areas were near rivers and eventually rail: wealthy people like transportation convenience as much as anyone, and in this car-dominated era that means trying to be near a highway (at least out in the suburbs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh