U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-30-2010, 07:30 PM

1,758 posts, read 2,145,577 times
Default Most Yinzer Neighborhood

It seems like Pittsburgh is becoming less yinzeresque by the day. Some of the river towns still have a yinzer feel to them, but what about within city limits? I have been taking taking the 91A bus into Downtown for years through Lawrenceville. Five years ago or more, I would have voted for Lawrenceville, not any more. It is now a diverse neighborhood of blacks, caucasians, asians, artists, students, and some yinzer types still hanging on. I also frequent the East End neighborhoods. They are not yinzer at all. North Side? Not so yinzer. South Side? Not any more.

I'll admit, I do not know much about neighborhoods like Carrick, Beltzhoover, Allentown, and others south of the Monongahela. Maybe others can decide if they are yinzer or not. To me, the City of Pittsburgh is not dominated by yinzers at all. The poor people living in the low lying areas who always get flooded "when the crick come up" are from outlying areas, not from the city of Pittsburgh. So anybody that says Pittsburgh is full of yinzers would be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-30-2010, 07:42 PM

8,847 posts, read 6,872,668 times
Troy Hill, Spring Hill and Spring Garden all struck me as Yinzerific. As for the neighborhoods to the south, any Yinzer influence there will probably be declining soon as more Hispanics move in and all the Yinzers move away from the "coloreds."

Unread 03-30-2010, 07:51 PM

3,864 posts, read 3,274,985 times
I live in Stowe Township/ Mckees Rocks. It's as yinzerific as it gets.

Unread 03-30-2010, 07:53 PM

7,959 posts, read 6,355,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I live in Stowe Township/ Mckees Rocks. It's as yinzerific as it gets.
Could not agree more n'at. I seen it with my own eyes.

Unread 03-30-2010, 07:59 PM

1,758 posts, read 2,145,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post

True. I seen the crick come up out that way too.

Unread 03-30-2010, 08:02 PM

and I had to ride my brother into town

Unread 03-30-2010, 08:11 PM

485 posts, read 841,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I done seen it with my own eyes.

Unread 03-30-2010, 08:35 PM

8,847 posts, read 6,872,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
I done seen it with my own eyes.
Exaggeration.

I lived in the Pittsburgh area for 15 years, and not once did I hear anybody use "done" as an interjection prior to a verb. The first time I ever heard that was in Georgia.

On the other hand, I did hear "I seen" frequently among my dumber classmates at school.

Last edited by Gnutella; 03-30-2010 at 09:07 PM..

Unread 03-30-2010, 08:41 PM

I seen drives me nuts. I heard that in the 60's, shouldn't that be gone by now, or am I just being ignorant.

Unread 03-30-2010, 08:54 PM

37,743 posts, read 39,111,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
South Side? Not any more...

The poor people living in the low lying areas who always get flooded "when the crick come up" are from outlying areas, not from the city of Pittsburgh. So anybody that says Pittsburgh is full of yinzers would be wrong.
Yinzers aren't always poor and they're not always from flood areas.

Being from Fox Chapel, you know that it's rare to hear Pittsburgese in Sharpsburg, Etna and Millvale.

Yinzers tend to be in the old steel mill towns. While South Side isn't filled with yinzers, there are still many of them there.

I've met quite a few yinzers who live in Bethel Park. Their family moved there from South Side, and they still talk Pittsburghese even though they "moved up".

It seems to me that the yinzers dispersed into the South Hills more than the North Hills. That's probably because they didn't want to cross the river. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh