U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 02:04 PM

4,262 posts, read 3,898,594 times
I still think this is good news, whether it looks prefab or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 02:24 PM

296 posts, read 306,200 times
I am not sure why the city needs another 'entertainment destination' type place. Can't they have concerts at Heinz/PNC/the arena/Star Lake/the current or successor to Chevy Amphiteater or any of the theaters in town?

The area between the stadiums is worth a ton of money, flat, a stone's throw from the river and downtown and totally undeveloped - and the best use of that land is for an amphitheater?

Why not put in some condos/apartments/anything to give it an urban atmosphere?

Old 04-01-2010, 02:58 PM

12,827 posts, read 10,009,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimacista View Post
I am not sure why the city needs another 'entertainment destination' type place. Can't they have concerts at Heinz/PNC/the arena/Star Lake/the current or successor to Chevy Amphiteater or any of the theaters in town?

The area between the stadiums is worth a ton of money, flat, a stone's throw from the river and downtown and totally undeveloped - and the best use of that land is for an amphitheater?

The key point in the article is "smaller indoor shows with up to 2,500 people". There are a lot of mid-sized acts that pass up the Pittsburgh market because they aren't arena acts, but they have a larger audience than the few hundred that the smaller clubs can hold.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:

Star Lake is too far (many people hate going out there.)

Station Square is a smaller venue, while Consol Energy Center is abigger venue.Pittsburgh needs a midsize venue.

As far as Heinz Field, I think there would be toomuch wear and tear on the grass. It would (probably?) be cheaper than building and dismantalling a stage after each performance (they would have to do that at PNC Park, especially with the Pirate games.

As far as concerts at the theaters (Byham and Benedum) I have no idea why they don't have more shows there. I do know that the Cultural Trust owns those and tend to use thier venues for more "cultural" events (i.e. musicals, broadway, ballet, symphonies, etc.)

Old 04-01-2010, 03:45 PM

1,758 posts, read 2,330,636 times
Quote:

Pittsburgh used to have not one but two indoor venues for rock shows in the 3000 seat range until the mid 1980s. The Stanley Theater became the Benedum Center for The Performing Arts in 1986. 1n 1989 or 1990, they tore down the Syria Mosque which was right behind the Pittsburgh Athletic Association(PAA) on Bigelow. I believe it is still a parking lot.

If you care how the music sounds, like me, then not just any venue like Heinz Field or PNC Park will do. The Stanley and The Syria Mosque were known for acoustics. That is why bands had live recordings there. I'll assume this new venue will have stellar acoustics since it is being built for music.

Last edited by nuwaver88; 04-01-2010 at 03:53 PM..

Old 04-01-2010, 08:26 PM

812 posts, read 1,049,255 times
Yeah I have to say that we've sort of dropped the ball in a way with this one. I'm sure it'll be ok, but this could have been so much more than that. The sad thing is that I'm not 100% sure that this will be the type of place to actually attract all of those acts who skip Pittsburgh in favor of Cleveland, Columbus, Baltimore, Philly, etc. By far and wide, the only really unique and successful venue in Pittsburgh is Mr. Smalls...kind of carries on the spirit of The Syria Mosque, but it's way too tiny of a place. I'm a little more interested in seeing what happens with The Roxian opening up at the old Emerald Theatre in McKees Rocks...there's not much to really do after the show ends and it's not a great area at all, but I think that venue has more potential than the North Shore development which is kind of cookie cutter and screams "Gimme' Brooks n' DUUUUuuunnnn".

We need something just like this somewhere on the South Side to truly make a dent and give our music scene a boost: Cleveland Agora Theater and Ballroom (http://www.clevelandagora.com/info/pictures.asp - broken link)

Old 04-02-2010, 10:27 AM

38 posts, read 44,882 times
Golly, wonder how much more $$$$ the Steelers need...maybe we can fund this, too.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:05 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,467,196 times
If anything, they were probably trying to imitate the design of Heinz Field and PNC Park, hence the aluminum, steel, concrete and glass exterior. Also, how are they going to replace the parking that was there? That looks like quite a large space to build something without taking into account the number of spaces that has to be replaced.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:03 AM

I am curious to go up there soon just to see how bigthe area is. I can't imagine them fitting it in up there, but who knows?

Old 04-03-2010, 06:21 PM

825 posts, read 1,051,139 times
It's definitely going to eat up that whole parking lot, obviously forcing folks to use the unused parking garage that exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh