Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:25 AM

34 posts, read 112,886 times

Advertisements

We are in the porcess of searching for a new home. We have been looking in North Allegheny, Pine Richland, Hampton and Fox Chapel school districts. We are looking for the house that we will raise our children in, so school district is important (though, we are happy to send them to private/catholic school if the house and taxes leave enough room in the budget). We both work in Pittsburgh, and my husband job requires that we reside in Allegheny County. We'd like to avoid the Parkway East and Route 28 if possible. My parents live in Freeport, Armstrong County, so we'd like the trip there to as easy as possible (we're not adverse to backroads, which is why McCandless, Wexford, etc have been attractive).

In terms of the house we are looking for, we are ideally looking for an older house (at least 70 years old). We also want at least .5 acres of property. Our budget is around 200k.

Our search has been unsuccessful so far, as there are not many older homes in the northern suburbs. We do not know much about other areas, as we have really narrowed in on the ones I previously mentioned. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 10:07 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,862,441 times
Close to Freeport, In Allegheny County and avoid 28 and Parkways...Hmmmmmm

I think the best options for that would be Oakmont or Verona...Both have Express Buses to downtown and they use the East Busway....So traffic would not be an issue getting into and out of the city...when you would need to use your car 28 will be free flowing (Weekends, After Work)...Access to Waterworks and Pittsburgh Mills for shopping...and both are in Pretty good school districts.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:14 AM

I thought about Oakmont - thanks. I've heard mixed reviews about Verona. Is it a deteriorating area?

Also, so long as we are within 15 or so miles of Freeport, we're both happy. It certainly doesn't have to be too close!

Old 04-06-2010, 10:17 AM

44 posts, read 80,455 times
Why not live right in town and leave surburbia behind? Show your children a Green future....

Old 04-06-2010, 10:28 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,862,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat33 View Post
I thought about Oakmont - thanks. I've heard mixed reviews about Verona. Is it a deteriorating area?

Also, so long as we are within 15 or so miles of Freeport, we're both happy. It certainly doesn't have to be too close!
Then i would also say look at Highland Park....I loved the convenience and amenities of Highland Park...Although you would probably want to consider private schooling since it is the City and you dealing with City Schools.

Closer to the East Busway - so commuting will be even less

Neighboring Central East Liberty is on the Verge of becoming this bustling 3rd CBD of the city, so everything you need would be there.

Access to the Zoo and Waterworks mall, not far from Ross Park

Easy access to 28 across the Highland Park Bridge

A very lush "Green" part of the city

The Houses are of some Amazing architecture.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:39 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,739,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat33 View Post

How old are your children?

I was surprised to learn that Oakmont's school district has 6th graders in the same building with 12th graders.

That's something to think about when considering Oakmont.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:06 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,739,078 times
Houses under 200k approximately 60 years old on 1 acre of land:

Pine Richland School District -- 185k -- built 1953 -- 1 acre: Richland Real Estate - 5735 Meridian Road, Richland, PA, 15044

Pine Richland School District -- 199k -- built in 1950 -- 1.2 acres: Richland Real Estate - 5349 RICHLAND ROAD, Richland, PA, 15044

North Hills School District -- 169k -- built in 1942 -- 1.08 acres: Ross Twp Real Estate - 116 Richmond Circle, Ross Twp, PA, 15237

Fox Chapel School District -- 199k -- built in 1948 -- 1.4 acres: O'Hara Real Estate - 548 Crawford Lane, O'Hara, PA, 15238

North Allegheny School District (McCandless) -- 179k -- built in 1955 -- .5 acres: McCandless Real Estate - 8120 Manville Drive, McCandless, PA, 15237

North Hills School District is an excellent district that gets very little appreciation on this website.

Areas served by North Hills are Ross Township and West View -- both are older areas that will have more older houses than the other areas you have been considering.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:56 AM

We would love to have access to public transportation (even if we have to drive to a park and ride).

We do not have children now, but we're moving to be in the house that we will have children in and they will grow up in.

Hopes - I didn't know that about Riverview school district. I knew it was small, but not quite that small.

Thanks for the links. We've actually been in a couple of those (Meridian and Richland). To clarify, we are interested in the older homes because of the achitecture and charm of the older homes. The architecture in Highland park is amazing. We absolutely love the old hardwood floors, lead glass, stained glass, and porches.

Does anyone know anything about these neighborhoods?
Observatory Hill - It seems that the neighborhood it self is good, but it borders on some really awful areas?
Regent Square?
Friendship?

Also, does anyone know what the City wage tax percentage is?

Old 04-06-2010, 11:59 AM

I should add that I know with the city neighborhoods, we will have to sacrifice some land.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:02 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,471,608 times
[quote=Kat33;
Also, does anyone know what the City wage tax percentage is?[/quote]

3%, but it's worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh