U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-18-2011, 01:06 AM

4,727 posts, read 4,846,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ983Lima View Post
For anyone who's ridden the Megabus service westbound from Pittsburgh lately, have they gone to doubledeckers yet on those routes?
No DD on Midwest yet, you probably wont see those until Pittsburgh - Chicago service is in effect.

They do use DD occaisionally when they're big events happening in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ983Lima View Post
Also, how crowded are those routes? I noticed they cut Cleveland service in half, Detroit service by 35%, and Toronto service by 20%. I suspect that they just overscheduled the operation and are now tweaking their schedules to ensure full buses. They have definitely done a great job of scheduling to keep the buses to DC, Philly, and NYC as packed as possible.
I dont see any cuts except Cleveland was cut from 6 runs to 4 which I think is plenty. Detroit still has 3, Toronto still has 3....

Dont confuse sellouts with cutting.....once a trip is sold out it disappears.

NYC and Philadelphia need more service, they're using doubledeckers and are still sellout trips especially NYC. You can no longer wait until last minute for any Thurs-Mon trips those sell out very quick

DC needs to be converted to DDs, the Singles are getting crushed.

Quote:
I know Megabus is starting to take delivery of their first order of 60 new 2011 model year doubledeckers with a second order slated for later on. So far, it appears about 20 new doubledeckers from the first order has been delivered and I'm trying to figure out where they went. Are those routes to Toronto, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Detroit now doubledeckers?
Toronto and DC will probably be the next to convert to DDs, as well the Cleveland trips once they're extended to Chicago.

Quote:
I suspect Megabus will send 20 buses to Chicago to replace their 2007 model year doubledeckers, another 5 to Chicago for their recent service expansion, 15 buses to DC to convert DC routes to all doubledeckers, 10 buses to Philly to replace the remaining singledecker buses on the Philly routes, and the balance to Pittsburgh to convert to doubledeckers.
2007s is too early to replace, they may rehab them...Pittsburgh will probably get and expansion of buses as their was also talk of adding St Louis and Indy to Pittsburgh's list of cities.

NYC and Philly was suppose to see an expansion of service this summer, the delay of new equipment is probably why their schedules haven't been expanded yet.

Quote:
It's anybody's guess what Megabus is planning to do with the second order. There is certainly no need for those extra buses based on the route network their currently have. They could use it to start replacing their 2008 model year doubledeckers, but I think it's too early for that. This means a big expansion must be in the works once the second order comes in and that is quite exciting.
Yes as I mentioned early in the year....Cleveland trips extended to Chicago, more NYC and Philly trips and probably the conversion of Toronto and DC to DD are in the works...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanpreppie05 View Post
I rode the PGH-Cleveland bus a few weeks ago. The driver informed us that all the buses on that route were going to be Double Deckers by the end of the year.

The timing of launching this route may not have been right, something tells me once the colleges start up in a few weeks, demand will go up.
Probably the same time the Cleveland trips are extended to Chicago.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:36 AM

770 posts, read 533,047 times
Coach USA, the parent company of Megabus, had an ad for driivers a few weeks ago in the Sunday newspaper.

Once they train and hire more drivers, it will probably mean more service and added cities.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:45 AM

8,901 posts, read 7,844,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
I don't know about that. When I was in college, the number of students from the areas east of here, far outnumbered students from the Midwest.
the philly trips aren't particularly cheap ($86 RT) so they must be selling well. the connection to cincy was much, much cheaper ($20 RT)despite being a similar trip time.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
the philly trips aren't particularly cheap ($86 RT) so they must be selling well. the connection to cincy was much, much cheaper ($20 RT)despite being a similar trip time.
Philly, NYC and DC are the Burgh's largest destination cities by far....

I keep telling folks Pittsburgh is a NE city through and through, it just doesn't have the ties with the Midwest that it does with the East Coast.

Pittsburgh doesn't need a hub...NYC, DC, Philly, Toronto, Harrisburg, SC, Erie, Buffalo and you have all of the Burgh's destination pretty much covered...Pittsburgh is a Hub solely because of its perfect location for play "The Bridge" of the 2 networks.

People coming to the Burgh from the Midwest Cities, are 90% transferring to the NE network rather than Pittsburgh as their destination.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:43 PM

11 posts, read 11,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanpreppie05 View Post
I rode the PGH-Cleveland bus a few weeks ago. The driver informed us that all the buses on that route were going to be Double Deckers by the end of the year.

The timing of launching this route may not have been right, something tells me once the colleges start up in a few weeks, demand will go up.
That's interesting to hear.
I have no doubt that Pittsburgh will be going to doubledeckers, but wasn't sure of the timeline. So, it looks it will be after Philly converts the remainder of their fleet and DC gets the dds.

I'm hearing reports that these new buses have been assigned to elizabeth (the megabus nyc garage) so that means they probably pulled the older elizabeth doubledeckers to train the dc drivers.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:04 PM

770 posts, read 533,047 times
I am hoping that eventually Megabus will add a departue from Philly to Pittsburgh that's earlier than 9:00 a.m.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
No DD on Midwest yet, you probably wont see those until Pittsburgh - Chicago service is in effect.

They do use DD occaisionally when they're big events happening in the city.

I dont see any cuts except Cleveland was cut from 6 runs to 4 which I think is plenty. Detroit still has 3, Toronto still has 3....

Dont confuse sellouts with cutting.....once a trip is sold out it disappears.
Look at Megabus timetable after Sept 13 which is when the new schedule kicks in.
Cleveland is down from 6 dailys to 3 dailys. Detroit and Toronto are both down from 4 dailys and 3 dailys,respectively, to both being now 2 dailys and 1 weekender. Looks like Cincinnati kept its 2 dailys.
I think this is certainly healthy for Megabus. It seems like they are pruning their schedules to ensure full loads which is good news for their long-term viability.
What would concern me the most is if their weekend schedules under this new timetable are not carrying close to full loads in the next few months. That have had the entire busy summer travel season to advertise the service and build the ridership base. The Fall season will be the true test for them to determine whether this westbound service is viable.

Quote:
NYC and Philadelphia need more service, they're using doubledeckers and are still sellout trips especially NYC. You can no longer wait until last minute for any Thurs-Mon trips those sell out very quick

DC needs to be converted to DDs, the Singles are getting crushed.

Toronto and DC will probably be the next to convert to DDs, as well the Cleveland trips once they're extended to Chicago.
Yes, the DC based fleet will be converted to doubledeckers. I wouldn't be surprised if they did that first before completing the transition of the Philly based fleet for the simple reason that the next logical place for Megabus to expand is south towards an Atlanta hub, but before they can do that, they need solid service in Charlotte and that means adding doubledeckers on that route to add capacity.

I'm not so sure Toronto will be getting any additional doubledeckers - remember the Toronto fleet already has 15 doubledeckers with Canadian controls (actually 14 since one burned down on the 401 highway) - that is more than enough for their Toronto-Montreal service. The only other service that the Toronto garage operates is the Toronto-Niagara Falls and Toronto-Buffalo trips, but the demand on those routes don't justify doubledeckers.
The Toronto drivers also operate the Toronto-Buffalo turns for the trips continuing on to NYC, DC, Pittsburgh, and Philly, but those buses are supplied by the US garage where the bus is headed to (in rare instances, they might use a Toronto based doubledecker - I seen it happen once on a NYC to Toronto route).

Quote:
2007s is too early to replace, they may rehab them...Pittsburgh will probably get and expansion of buses as their was also talk of adding St Louis and Indy to Pittsburgh's list of cities.

NYC and Philly was suppose to see an expansion of service this summer, the delay of new equipment is probably why their schedules haven't been expanded yet.

Yes as I mentioned early in the year....Cleveland trips extended to Chicago, more NYC and Philly trips and probably the conversion of Toronto and DC to DD are in the works...

Remember these buses are on the road every single day of year, oftentimes up to 16 hours a day. That's a lot of wear and tear on their 2007 models for 4 years of service. If you ever wonder why Megabus and breakdowns seem to be a common theme, you have your answer there.
I can't imagine them not replacing the 2007 models with this big order.
Even for their early 2008 models, Megabus seems to be having problems with them - in fact, they have generally kept run those doubledeckers on the NYC-DC, DC-Phily, and NYC-Philly runs since the nearest rescue bus is at most 2 hours away if it breakdowns. If one of these breakdowns on say a Philly-Pitt, NYC-Pitt, Toronto-Philly run, they'll have quite a disaster on their hands with help probably as much as 4 hours away.
The 2007s situation is worst as they are all assigned to the midwest operation and that limits the options for equipment assignment not to mention the locations of the midwest garages.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:49 PM

Do you know which garage this is for? If this is for their Lenzner garage outside of Pittsburgh, that would quite interesting.

I've seen a ton of ads from them for NYC and DC based drivers. It seems like they are having problems retaining those drivers.

It'd be interesting if Pittsburgh is also a problem for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
Coach USA, the parent company of Megabus, had an ad for driivers a few weeks ago in the Sunday newspaper.

Once they train and hire more drivers, it will probably mean more service and added cities.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:49 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,492,148 times
I did some guarding at Lenzner a few months back when they had just done a huge hiring wave. A lot of the issues the drivers have that causes them to burn out fast?

Philadelphia and people from Philadelphia. Or people going to Philadelphia.

We need to raze that city to bare dirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh