U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 02:37 PM

4,633 posts, read 4,492,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Tuesday isn't a very good day for me. I am about $90 round trip, vs $190 flying. I will keep looking. Sometimes I get flights for around $120 round trip if I keep watching.
T-W are not good travel days for a lot of people, why do you think they're the cheapest....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 02:41 AM

3,940 posts, read 2,959,420 times
I think the secret to low megabus fares is to book as soon as the date becomes available or booking, which I believe is 45 days in advance.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:19 AM

if its TH-M and NYC Philly and DC that wont work.....Megabus has restricted those days to premium fares right out the gate....I went on to book my Christmas travel home to the Burgh the DAY megabus announced new dates on their Facebook and Twitter pages..from NYC to the Burgh was instantly 45$ from Th - M on all trips. I looked at Philly to Pittsburgh same days instantly 43$ Th - M

Like I said before there's way too much demand between the Burgh and the East Coast Cities that Megabus no longer needs to discount TH-M travel days.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:18 AM

8,718 posts, read 7,184,030 times
Quote:
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Wi-Fi also is installed on four other routes as part of this expansion, but only in select cars marked with hotspot window stickers because these trains are made up of different types of equipmentPennsylvanian New York – Philadelphia – Pittsburgh.)
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/BlobSe...2Fpdf&blobhead

Old 10-31-2011, 01:54 PM

3,940 posts, read 2,959,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
if its TH-M and NYC Philly and DC that wont work.....Megabus has restricted those days to premium fares right out the gate....I went on to book my Christmas travel home to the Burgh the DAY megabus announced new dates on their Facebook and Twitter pages..from NYC to the Burgh was instantly 45$ from Th - M on all trips. I looked at Philly to Pittsburgh same days instantly 43$ Th - M

Like I said before there's way too much demand between the Burgh and the East Coast Cities that Megabus no longer needs to discount TH-M travel days.
Interesting, I probably wouldn't be using them if that's the case. It's not much extra to go hop a JetBlue flight or just drive there yourself. I guess there's a market for it though, since they are obviously selling out pretty regularly.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:24 PM

58 posts, read 55,162 times
Too funny, just after I was reading this thread I got an email saying Megabus will be extending service to Florida, Alabama, Tennessee and some other places and giving away 10,000 seats between nov and dec. Hopefully this wasn't already mentioned earlier, I didnt read the entire thread. :-/

Old 10-31-2011, 04:53 PM

756 posts, read 479,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I think the secret to low megabus fares is to book as soon as the date becomes available or booking, which I believe is 45 days in advance.
This is what I do as soon as Megabus announces that they're booking for dates through Thanksgiving (for example). You have to be very quick, as the lowest prices are snapped up.

I exited out of their website in error while making a reservation once. The result was the fare jumped from $5 one way to $27 This in the minute's time it took me to get back in.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:17 PM

for those that want to try a Greyhound Express trip (I personally hate the 1/2hr layover in Philly) they start their discounts exactly 1 month before the date you want to travel....

So if you want to travel for Thanksgiving NOW IS THE TIME to do it this is the lowest the prices will be, if you would've book back on the week of Oct 24 you would've had 1$ tickets (at least the first 5 tickets)....

for Christmas you want to start looking to book the Week of NOV 25 (exactly 1 month in advance) will be the cheapest tickets.

I have written Greyhound Express, that they need to make 3 separate RED-EYE trips for NYC, Philly and DC if they want to really compete with Megabus out of Pittsburgh. Let hope they take it serious because a daytime RED-EYE from NYC to Pittsburgh would make my year...

Old 01-22-2012, 01:49 AM

11 posts, read 10,775 times
I love how Megabus makes a big splash with new routes, but keeps eerily quiet about routes being cut.

After a little under a year, the Megabus hub in Pittsburgh with the new westbound routes has pretty much been a failure.

Starting with their new Spring schedule, they will be cutting the Pittsburgh-Erie-Buffalo-Toronto and Pittsburgh-Columbus-Cincinnati routes. On the Pittsburgh-Akron-Cleveland route, Akron will be cut and Cleveland will be combined with the run to Toledo/Detroit.

This combined Pittsburgh-Cleveland-Toledo-Detroit run is pretty on life support with only 1 departure each day. They are looking to add a college town to this route in a desperate attempt to drive traffic, but if that doesn't work, look for this route to be cut too.

It's funny how the only public information I could find online on this is Akron being dropped and no mention of entire routes being cut.

FYI - for those of you heading to NYC, they are trying to work out a new stop at the Port Authority bus terminal. That should help their business with the indoor waiting area if they can get an agreement worked out.
If that doesn't work out, you may soon be hauling your luggage out to 10th ave or 11th ave. Definitely would hurt their business if that's the case.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:16 AM

I said from the beginning the Burgh alone has no ebb and flow with those Midwest cities chosen to make Pittsburgh a Hub.....for the purpose of using Pittsburgh for a Transfer hub I feel that was a failure because 1 Megabus doesn't sell "Through" tickets passengers had to buy tickets for each branch and 2 connection times were too wide apart causing long layover times or too short causing people to miss their connections and miss connections did not allow for refundable tickets.

Pittsburgh is a Northeast City and this should solidify that as proof it has no association with the Midwest.....Pittsburgh ebbs and flow is to other East Coast Cities....a Pittsburgh to Boston or Richmond would have more traffic than Pittsburgh Cleveland/Detroit got its just a fact..

I must say I am shocked about Pittsburgh/Toronto I thought that was pretty successful, not enough for DD Coaches but pretty good for Singles. then I noticed Toronto is being cut from pretty much all NE routes Philly and DC are both down to 1 trip a day and NYC was cut from 6 to 4 trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh