U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 07:06 PM

3,946 posts, read 2,967,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I dont have confirmation....But by the statement I was given.....it seemed like it will be Chicago to Pittsburgh via Cleveland...then you have NYC, Philly and DC/Richmond out of Pittsburgh....So it will be a transfer...

Chicago to NYC is an awful long haul for one bus and driver.....Pittsburgh being the dead center between the two cities makes the perfect sense, plus the Philly and DC transfer also makes it more sense that it will just be connecting the 2 networks of Midwest and East Coast.
I hope you're right, I would actually be more likely to use a Pittsburgh > Cleveland or Pittsburgh > Toledo route than to actually go to Chicago. I was one of the few using that route back when Megabus first gave Pittsburgh a shot. I can't imagine the stop in Cleveland and Toledo would add enough time that it would be worth skipping over the extra revenue potential. If I remember right, both stops were pretty much right off the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I hope there'll be a direct bus from Pgh. to DC. I don't like traveling enough to go to Philadelphia, then wait for another bus to DC. I'll just stay home.
I think Blackbeauty meant that there would be a Pittsburgh > Richmond > DC bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 09:53 PM

4,637 posts, read 4,501,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Right but it's Pittsburgh > DC > Richmond

Old 09-07-2010, 10:22 AM

8,724 posts, read 7,202,278 times
Quote:
Well just got word guys.....Megabus will soon have DC and Richmond to the Burgh and Chicago will be making a return....Making Pittsburgh a Transfer Hub like originally stated...Also Philly and NYC will have more 2 -3 more trips per day...
Look for all this to be in place before then end of the year is what I'm told. This is excellent news just what the Burgh needs MORE OPTIONS!!!
If this doesn't get Greyhound to sit up and take notice nothing will.
I'm sure greyhound has noticed but they don't seem to be very aggressive. they did launch bolt, which I love, but I've been sad to see them not follow mega into other markets. maybe they are waiting for mega to test the market for them. anyway, the DC run makes a lot of sense, creating a triangle of service where buses can be cycled through. this can only be good for the tourist industry as well as the city's attempt to sell itself to young people.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:31 PM

4,614 posts, read 3,005,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
The way you've written that means you'd go to Richmond before DC, which wouldn't be much better for me than going to Philadelphia first; and at least in Phila., I know people I could visit. Also, you'd have to double back some on 95 if you went to Richmond first.

Total mileage:

Pgh > Richmond: 312
Richmond > DC: 109 (total 421)

Pgh > DC: 237
DC > Richmond: 108 (total 345)

Pgh > Phila: 303 miles
Phila > DC: 140 (total 443)

Old 09-07-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
The way you've written that means you'd go to Richmond before DC, which would be no better for me than going to Philadelphia first; at least I know people I could visit in Phila.
It be Pitt > DC > Richmond and vice versa it would a circle to go to Richmond first

Old 09-07-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
The way you've written that means you'd go to Richmond before DC, which wouldn't be much better for me than going to Philadelphia first; and at least in Phila., I know people I could visit. Also, you'd have to double back some on 95 if you went to Richmond first.

Total mileage:

Pgh > Richmond: 312
Richmond > DC: 109 (total 421)

Pgh > DC: 237
DC > Richmond: 108 (total 345)

Pgh > Phila: 303 miles
Phila > DC: 140 (total 443)
Sorry for the confusion, just a mistake on my part. I think someone wrote "Richmond/DC" earlier in the thread, so I just wrote it in that order without thinking.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I'm sure greyhound has noticed but they don't seem to be very aggressive. they did launch bolt, which I love, but I've been sad to see them not follow mega into other markets. maybe they are waiting for mega to test the market for them. anyway, the DC run makes a lot of sense, creating a triangle of service where buses can be cycled through. this can only be good for the tourist industry as well as the city's attempt to sell itself to young people.
I just followed up with my source to see if he heard anything about Bolt and expanding...

He says there is word that Bolt is planning on expansion.....Now he couldnt tell if it meant "Network Expansion" or "Capacity Expansion to the Exsisting Network"....But it would make sense that they would want to stay on the heels of Mega....atleast an NYC to the Burgh would be nice.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:31 AM

8,724 posts, read 7,202,278 times
Quote:
I just followed up with my source to see if he heard anything about Bolt and expanding...

He says there is word that Bolt is planning on expansion.....Now he couldnt tell if it meant "Network Expansion" or "Capacity Expansion to the Exsisting Network"....But it would make sense that they would want to stay on the heels of Mega....atleast an NYC to the Burgh would be nice.
or Philly to the burgh, depending on where you're going.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:44 AM

Any word on further expansion of Pittsburgh's Megabus destinations? It still seems like an obvious hole in there system when you look at the system-wide map and see the Chicago hub destinations and the NYC/DC hub destinations not being connected somehow.

megabus US - Route Map

Old 12-02-2010, 03:36 PM

I know Chicago was coming...should've been launched around the same time as DC which is coming up....I know the Midwest is a different division than the East Coast so its a whole nother set of management that needs to work with the current East Coast Management...

Right now Pittsburgh is considered an East Coast market/management so I don't know if that's making it difficult to get the Midwest Branch back into the Burgh or what...I will follow up with my source, but keep in mind his only concern is East Coast division...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh