U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 12:29 PM

77 posts, read 133,607 times

Advertisements

Crate & Barrel was finally officially announced to be opening a store in Pittsburgh. New location to built next to L.L. Bean @ Ross Park Mall. Next nearest location was Cleveland.

Crate & Barrel coming to Ross Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 06:25 PM

11,932 posts, read 13,734,294 times
So glad about that!

Old 04-09-2010, 07:28 PM

1,758 posts, read 2,405,426 times
I have never been to a Crate and Barrel, but I was looking at their website. Is this similar to a Willams Sonoma or a Pottery Barn? It seems like it by their web site. If so, is this such a big catch?

Old 04-09-2010, 08:18 PM

9,886 posts, read 9,895,663 times
You know, I still haven't been into one of their stores. But if you crossed Williams-Sonoma with Pottery Barn, that might not be far off judging by the product mix. Although it's also not as upscale as those on the houseware side, I think. It's almost like a smaller scale Ikea, with less emphasis on furniture, and less emphasis on having the cheapest things I'd say. This sorta makes sense as the history claims the founders started it in Chicago after seeing lots of places to buy "contemporary, affordable" housewares in Europe on their honeymoon.

Why they've ignored the Pittsburgh market so far I don't know. It is perhaps because of the fragmented nature of the area retail, meaning you have to really be a destination if you're going to try it with just one store. Ross Park with their openings over the last year or two makes it the place that contains several one location in the whole region stores. Crate and Barrel fits perfectly well there. Not sure what size store they intend to do here but it's fairly big, enough that trying it with more than one store would be a huge investment.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm thinking having Crate and Barrel next to LL Bean means I might make a couple more trips to Ross Park than I otherwise would have. It's the most emailed story on the P-G still. People are really looking to have this store here.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:49 PM

36,348 posts, read 57,054,102 times
Well obviously there are a million of 'em around here, and maybe that's why I don't understand the excitement. It's basically half Pier 1 and half Bed Bath & Beyond. Plus they have an offshoot called CB2 which I guess is like a mini Ikea only more expensive.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:53 PM

5,467 posts, read 5,281,011 times
The thing that makes C&B unique in the home store market is an emphasis on contemporary design. Their good-quality furnishings are much more clean-lined and less traditional than you would find at Pottery Barn, although the type of products they sell is about the same. In addition to furniture you can get dishes, glassware, bedding, bath products that would fit into a contemporary or even a mid-Century modern style home. The kitchen products are especially good and less pricey than Williams Sonoma.

It's not a superstore like Bed Bath and Beyond, it's not filled with rustic or ethnic designs that you would find in Pier One, and it's not arts & crafts traditional like Pottery Barn. Also, it's more expensive than IKEA, but I suppose the comparison comes since IKEA is one of the few nationwide chains that sells contemporary styles.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:01 PM

36,348 posts, read 57,054,102 times
Hmm, Ikea and C&B have made their way to Pittsburgh... does this mean the long-needed overhaul of soooo many home interiors in Pittsburgh is about to begin?

Old 04-10-2010, 11:32 PM

69,637 posts, read 59,609,548 times
We have Crate and Barrel out here in CO, and while I like it, I wouldn't break the speed limit to get there or anything. I do find their prices reasonable.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:38 PM

9,886 posts, read 9,895,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Hmm, Ikea and C&B have made their way to Pittsburgh... does this mean the long-needed overhaul of soooo many home interiors in Pittsburgh is about to begin?
No, I think for that you need a store selling 1980s style stuff.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:13 PM

80 posts, read 172,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
No, I think for that you need a store selling 1980s style stuff.
Still, it's a big improvement from the 1950's kitchens and shag carpeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh