Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 09:06 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
zip - if you want to believe that, go right ahead. If you are ever in Grove City, PA and have a minute to spare, I can give you the name of a few grad-school professors who would love to go over it with you, but it seems your personal experience is a higher source than the people I have learned from who have spent their lives studying such material.

I am done arguing - not going to post again about this. Its your money, if you don't want a 401K, that is absolutely your choice.
Whoa...when did this conversation turn adversarial?...And what makes you think I'm not a Grad School Professor? Or an invenstment Guru?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 10:21 AM

56 posts, read 191,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
That only makes sense if a 401k is the best possible investment...which it isn't. Many investments show exponential return rates. That means that "If I'm smart with my investments" my $1 will easily beat your $2 over time. Understand that a 1-time doubling right-now is worse than good exponential return over time.......that's just the math.
Well, after money goes into a 401k, it usually goes from there into stocks or REITs or bonds. So the employer match is not the only possible gain on the investment, only the first gain.

So it's
investor deposits $100
+ employer match of $100
+ stock index fund (or whatever) return of whatever it is for this year
for 30 years

not just a one-time doubling. It's an instantaneous 100% return on the investment *plus* the interest earned on double the money you save.

And in at least some cases it can go into REITs, if you're into real estate investing, or into individual stocks instead of into a stock index fund. Not all employer-match 401k plans insist that that money be held in company stock and they certainly don't just shovel the money into passbook savings.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:25 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Whoa...when did this conversation turn adversarial?...And what makes you think I'm not a Grad School Professor? Or an invenstment Guru?
Are you? If so, I sincerely apologize.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinpgh View Post
Well, after money goes into a 401k, it usually goes from there into stocks or REITs or bonds. So the employer match is not the only possible gain on the investment, only the first gain.

So it's
investor deposits $100
+ employer match of $100
+ stock index fund (or whatever) return of whatever it is for this year
for 30 years

not just a one-time doubling. It's an instantaneous 100% return on the investment *plus* the interest earned on double the money you save.

And in at least some cases it can go into REITs, if you're into real estate investing, or into individual stocks instead of into a stock index fund. Not all employer-match 401k plans insist that that money be held in company stock and they certainly don't just shovel the money into passbook savings.
You deposit $100 into a 401k, your company matches your deposit, PLUS the 401k pays 5% continuously compounded.

I put $100 into a different investment where I can effectively get 7% continuously compounded.

Do you know that I have more money than you after 10 years. If I can find something that pays 40%....I beat you in under two.

Remember what I said.
Quote:
That only makes sense if a 401k is the best possible investment...which it isn't. Many investments show exponential return rates. That means that "If I'm smart with my investments" my $1 will easily beat your $2 over time. Understand that a 1-time doubling right-now is worse than good exponential return over time.......that's just the math.
And also,

Quote:
You have to look at your own situation, determine your appetite for risk, and see what's available to you. Whatever you decide, you should understand that a 401k is far from the ultimate investment.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Are you?
Wouldn't you love to know

Old 07-27-2007, 01:18 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Wouldn't you love to know
I am guessing this is a no, right? If you were, you would have no problem supplying your credentials.

I am basing what I say on what I have learned from professors at Grove City College, who were only teaching undergrad courses at the time, but were teaching the same material they have taught at graduate levels in the past.

I am not an authority on the subject by any means. I have learned extensively from those who are. If you are some sort of expert, people might believe you a bit more. Otherwise, I will find it very hard to accept what you are saying over what I have already experienced and learned.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:32 PM

487 posts, read 1,380,310 times
Default also

Don't forget that contributing to a 401k lowers your taxable income by the amount of the contribution. So, hnsq is only paying income tax on 94k when he contributes 6%. Then, when he does have to pay tax on his contributions (and his employer's match), he is presumably retired, and in a significantly lower tax bracket.

Also, finding an investment with an "exponential return rate" is extremely high-risk. The likelyhood of finding that type of return - particularly over the long haul - is extrememly, extremely slim.

And so, for the average investor, a 401k is an outstanding investment option. There's really no way around that.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:41 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
Don't forget that contributing to a 401k lowers your taxable income by the amount of the contribution. So, hnsq is only paying income tax on 94k when he contributes 6%. Then, when he does have to pay tax on his contributions (and his employer's match), he is presumably retired, and in a significantly lower tax bracket.

Also, finding an investment with an "exponential return rate" is extremely high-risk. The likelyhood of finding that type of return - particularly over the long haul - is extrememly, extremely slim.

And so, for the average investor, a 401k is an outstanding investment option. There's really no way around that.
You're absolutely right. When it comes to investing; slow, steady, & safe usually wins the race over the long term. Remember the days traders of the dot-com boom? Most lost their shirts.

And, as has been mentioned earlier, your 401k is only part of your investment portfolio which normally includes a home that you own.

Julie

Old 07-27-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I am guessing this is a no, right? If you were, you would have no problem supplying your credentials.
Try again! Maybe you can bait your buddies by exploiting their ego....you're not going to bait me. The day I jeopardize my real-life credibility to gain internet credibility is the day the internet starts cutting me checks.

No clues from me...my identity remains anonymous.

Quote:
I am not an authority on the subject by any means. I have learned extensively from those who are.
Firstly. I never said I was or wasn't an authority (no clues remember), I said a 401k is not the be-all-end-all of investments.
Secondly. In the world of money, professors are not the authority...not even close. Money isn't history or physics. Money is something all together different.

Quote:
If you are some sort of expert, people might believe you a bit more. Otherwise, I will find it very hard to accept what you are saying over what I have already experienced and learned.
Great! Either way is fine with me?

Old 07-27-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Even though taxes in capitalistic societies are designed to protect capital...they still suck, and can always ruin a good plan. You always have to take taxes into account.

Quote:

I guess I can somewhat agree with that (except the extremely slim part). It's definitely not true in general, but could be true for the 'average investor'. You probably have to be a little savvy and have a little access to do better. That is why I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip95
You have to look at your own situation, determine your appetite for risk, and see what's available to you. Whatever you decide, you should understand that a 401k is far from the ultimate investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh