U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-14-2010, 12:18 AM

289 posts, read 1,028,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Looks like Big Ben lost an endorsement for beef jerky. Beaver County Times:*Big Ben loses beef jerky deal (http://www.timesonline.com/bct_news/news_details/article/1373/2010/april/13/big-ben-loses-beef-jerky-contract.html - broken link)

Too bad. The commercial could have said, " Most college coeds agree that beef jerky tastes great. A beefy jerk? Not so much."
lol

Old 04-14-2010, 05:40 AM

7,360 posts, read 7,135,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
When the alleged victim first spoke to police, they asked her if she had been raped, and she said "no." Then she told the doctors that "a boy kinda raped me." ("Kinda raped"? That must be like "somewhat dead.") So which is it?

She also had a fake ID confiscated by that very nightclub just a few weeks prior to the incident, so let's not pretend that she's some innocent Southern magnolia either. In fact, I think she's just as stupid as Roethlisberger is.
none of that indicates anything about whether she ever consented to ben. and the fact that she once used a fake id is about as irrelevant as ben once riding a motorcycle without a helmet. again, totally typical, bringing up past misbehavior to indicate that she couldn't have been raped.

rape is a confusing crime to victims even when they're not drunk. it is totally normal for it to take a while to sink in, and for victims to use language to soften the blow of what just happened to them (like saying "kinda"). most rape victims feel *guilt* about what happened to them, which is not typical for other crimes. in some cases, it takes years to realize you were raped. of course by then, the already slim chance of obtaining concrete proof of a rape is totally gone. i already mentioned my friend who was raped in her sleep and went back and forth in her mind about whether it was rape because she thought maybe she somehow cooperated unconsciously.

again, i'm not saying it's not possible that she was lying or confused. but your willingness to completely dismiss what she said is symptomatic of a problem in society that leads to many, many rapes going unreported and/or unprosecuted. women report a rape and they are attacked, by the police, the justice system and in the case of a high profile incident like this, the general public; their past history and behavior at the time of the alleged rape made public and totally picked apart.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:59 AM

42,435 posts, read 47,526,931 times
It seems the police took her claim seriously; however, her contradictory statements make it difficult to procecute regardless of how common it is for victims to be confused.

It bothers me that she was drunk. That alone would make it impossible for her to consent. If she was as drunk as reported, Ben should have known that she couldn't consent.

And the law does allow for people to be charged if they take advantage of people who incapable of consenting. Charges should be filed for that reason alone.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It seems the police took her claim seriously; however, her contradictory statements make it difficult to procecute regardless of how common it is for victims to be confused.
that may be the case (although you'd think they might take into account the confusion that trauma mixed with alcohol can elicit when looking at her statements), but to extrapolate that confusion to her giving ben mixed signals in the first place is a huge stretch.

the fact is, rape is very difficult to prosecute, and this may be another case of that. it probably won't ever be possible to know for sure whether her claims were true. i have a problem with people making derisive statements about him being a rapist AND about her being a liar/****/whatever. yes, they are probably both idiots but that doesn't really have any bearing on the situation.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:21 AM

42,435 posts, read 47,526,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
t(although you'd think they might take into account the confusion that trauma mixed with alcohol can elicit when looking at her statements)
I'm sure they did take that into account. That's probably the main reason they didn't press charges. Unfortunately the DA determines if he/she can win in court. I'm sure it's very hard to convince a jury when there are conflicting statements. The police can't send a high profile case to the DA that is difficult to successfully prosecute.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:35 AM

what i mean is they should give her a break about the conflicting statements since they were obviously given when she was in a stressful and confusing situation. but i understand what you're saying, and you're probably right about the da's logic.

the point i was trying to make with my previous posts is, we still don't know whether or not there was a rape, and we probably never will. all i know is that as details come out about what happened, it certainly doesn't make ben look very good. all i was saying about the conflicting statements is that they prove absolutely nothing about whether she gave consent to ben (or whether they had sex - didn't he claim they didn't?), despite gnutella's insinuating that they do.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:43 AM

146 posts, read 165,626 times
Summary: she was drunk and stated to a police officer that she was not raped. Upon sobering up, she made two written statements in which she indicated that she held some form of belief that she was raped. I'll draw my own conclusions.

Lesson of the day: "No" means "no" boys and girls. Let's not weigh the intent.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:29 AM

1,720 posts, read 2,392,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
And the law does allow for people to be charged if they take advantage of people who incapable of consenting. Charges should be filed for that reason alone.
75% of the male population of America would be in jail following this logic.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:30 AM

1,720 posts, read 2,392,361 times
Does anybody know exactly what Ben admitted to? Did he do her in the bathroom? Did they just violently make-out? What's his story?

Old 04-14-2010, 09:39 AM

146 posts, read 165,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Does anybody know exactly what Ben admitted to? Did he do her in the bathroom? Did they just violently make-out? What's his story?
About all that I've read:

"He (Roethlisberger) said, 'Yeah, I remember her, and I told her she was too drunk to be back here,' and then he said something about he remembered her falling and hitting her head," Bright said.
A person with Roethlisberger's sports agency then stepped in and said Roethlisberger would not say anything more without a lawyer, Bright said.

link: No Sex Assault Charges Against Ben Roethlisberger - Sports News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh (http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/23073290/detail.html - broken link)

I haven't heard/read any acknowledgment from Ben regarding actually entering the bathroom with the accuser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh