U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-15-2010, 07:39 PM

660 posts, read 743,821 times
When you buy a car out of state and title it in PA. you have 15 days to get it inspected.

If you move from out of state, you are supposed to get your car titled and inspected within a Month.

If you explain to the cop that you just returned from somewhere else and you are on your way to get it inspected, they normally let you proceed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 07:45 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,975,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I thought the inspection one at least you could get waived as long as you got the inspection done within x time. Myth?
Except as JRTurner describes above, I belive that you could get a ticket on the first day of an expired inspection. I guess it would depend on how generous the cop was feeling that day.

It was also my understanding that a certifed inspection mechanic can legally drive a car to an inspection station for the purpose of performing the inspection, but for an ordinary person, it's still illegal and could get you a ticket. Somebody is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong...

On edit; To the OP, here you go, straight from the horse's mouth (Frequently Asked Questions: Vehicle Safety Inspections - Motorist)

Quote:
What should I do if I am out of Pennsylvania when my safety inspection expires?

Pennsylvania law allows vehicle owners who are outside the Commonwealth for more than 30 continuous days, to have their vehicle inspected within 10 days upon their return to Pennsylvania. It is recommended that you carry documentation (such as receipts) supporting your absence for the previous 30 days.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:13 AM

24,641 posts, read 14,312,024 times
If you renew your registration online, you'll have to proviide insurance information.
At least they asked me that information last night when I renewed.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:59 AM

9,882 posts, read 9,506,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If you renew your registration online, you'll have to proviide insurance information.
At least they asked me that information last night when I renewed.
That's required whether you do it online or mail it. Also, the shop will require your insurance card (in addition to the registration card) when you get the inspection.

Been that way for years.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:08 AM

660 posts, read 743,821 times
Basically, if you are pulled over for a lapsed inspection and tell them you are on your way to get the inspection done, they'll let you slide. But you'd better be telling the truth and not be surprised if the cop follows you to the inspection station to verify that.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:11 AM

24,641 posts, read 14,312,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
That's required whether you do it online or mail it. Also, the shop will require your insurance card (in addition to the registration card) when you get the inspection.

Been that way for years.
Yeah, but no one brought up the insurance requirement in this discussion.
My vehicle sits garaged while I'm overseas.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:13 PM

712 posts, read 1,041,627 times
one obvious point is - if you lie to the cop, he doesn't have to follow you.
They all have cell phones now and he can just call the garage and see what time your appointment is for and if you are lying, then he can rap it to you twice as hard.

There is a law on the books that they can take your drivers license away for a period no less then 30 days for operating a vehicle without proper registration. The same holds true if you operate it without insurance.

The state police cruisers all have computers in them and the internet and they can look just about anything up on the computer that they want and they wouldn't have to wait until they called your insurance agent to see if you lost your insurance card or forgot to put it in the vehicle or if the state forgot to send you a new registration or if it got lost in the mail.

The things you could get away with 10 years ago, you can't today.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 146 times
It's up to the officer about whether he wants to waive the fine if you get it done within X amount of time, as for registration mine was expired in may it's now July they never sent me a letter asking for the plate back I just renewed my registration and they didn't make me get a new plate it cost me 36 dollars to renew it online I have the temporary registration printed out which you can keep working your most recent registration but I tape it to the back window so the officer can see it, they will know what it is.when they inspect the car it no longer has to match the tags and you can get it done 90 days early
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh