Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 05:14 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Pittsburgh FM radio - Problems

Current absolute gaps in Pittsburgh's FM radio formatting: Active Rock, Urban Contemporary.

Active Rock is an emerging format with music that's too new for Classic Rock, yet too heavy for Alternative. Urban Contemporary is the only format that specifically caters to a black audience.

Current partial gaps in Pittsburgh's FM radio formatting: Alternative, Top 40.

96.1 FM is too "urban" to be a true Top 40 station, and 105.9 FM is too "active" to be a true Alternative station.

Current redundancies in Pittsburgh's FM radio formatting: Country, Sports.

107.9 FM is the ratings leader for Country, so the other Country stations are dispensable. There are already two Sports stations on the AM dial.

Pittsburgh FM radio - Solutions

Flip 92.9 FM to Active Rock, and leave the Adult Contemporary to 99.7 FM.

Flip 93.7 FM back to Top 40, and reassert 96.1 FM as Urban Contemporary.

Reassert 105.9 FM as Alternative, and leave the Active Rock to 92.9 FM.
Hmmmm, I think you're on to something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 05:53 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,570 times
Gnutella has a point, but the problem with flipping some of these formats is that there are four major radio media companies in the immediate Pittsburgh area that control 90-95% of the radio market. If one company had two similar formats on two different stations, I don't think it would be much of a problem if they wanted to switch the format. The only company operating with two slightly similar formats would be Steel City Media, everyone else has something different on each station, mind you there's going to be sports and talk on every station but the music is different.

Clear Channel
94.5 - Classic Hits
96.1 - Top 40
102.5 - Classic Rock
104.7 - News Talk
105.9 - Modern Rock

CBS Radio
93.7 - Sports Talk
100.7 - Top 40
107.9 - Country

Steel City Media
92.9 - Hot Adult Contemporary
96.9 - Variety Hits

Renda Broadcasting
99.7 - Adult Contemporary

Like Gnutella pointed out, you could see where the format on Renda's 92.9 overlaps with Steel City's 99.7, but Steel City also has another station, 96.9, which plays similar music to 99.7. If Steel City is going to change the format, they could change 92.9 and then rebrand Bob FM into a different name with the computerized voice at the end of each song, but expand the music variety like how Bob FM is.

As for 96.1 and 100.7, I've noticed that 96.1 is more "urban" than 100.7 even after the changes were made to reformat 93.7 into a sports talk station. 96.1 is always going to be more popular to the younger audience than 100.7 in its current format because it's been around longer, it's more established, and the music variety is a little better on 96.1, whereas 100.7 is trying to attract a bigger audience, perhaps the same people that would've listened to it if it was still an adult contemporary station, which CBS has alienated when they flipped the format.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:59 PM

137 posts, read 354,100 times
One can only pray they do.. Pittsburgh use to have one of the richest selections of radio stations in the country.. As a matter of fact the first radio station in the world was here in Regent Square KDKA..

Old 04-21-2010, 12:19 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
Gnutella has a point, but the problem with flipping some of these formats is that there are four major radio media companies in the immediate Pittsburgh area that control 90-95% of the radio market. If one company had two similar formats on two different stations, I don't think it would be much of a problem if they wanted to switch the format. The only company operating with two slightly similar formats would be Steel City Media, everyone else has something different on each station, mind you there's going to be sports and talk on every station but the music is different.

Clear Channel
94.5 - Classic Hits
96.1 - Top 40
102.5 - Classic Rock
104.7 - News Talk
105.9 - Modern Rock

CBS Radio
93.7 - Sports Talk
100.7 - Top 40
107.9 - Country

Steel City Media
92.9 - Hot Adult Contemporary
96.9 - Variety Hits

Renda Broadcasting
99.7 - Adult Contemporary

Like Gnutella pointed out, you could see where the format on Renda's 92.9 overlaps with Steel City's 99.7, but Steel City also has another station, 96.9, which plays similar music to 99.7. If Steel City is going to change the format, they could change 92.9 and then rebrand Bob FM into a different name with the computerized voice at the end of each song, but expand the music variety like how Bob FM is.

As for 96.1 and 100.7, I've noticed that 96.1 is more "urban" than 100.7 even after the changes were made to reformat 93.7 into a sports talk station. 96.1 is always going to be more popular to the younger audience than 100.7 in its current format because it's been around longer, it's more established, and the music variety is a little better on 96.1, whereas 100.7 is trying to attract a bigger audience, perhaps the same people that would've listened to it if it was still an adult contemporary station, which CBS has alienated when they flipped the format.
To me, 100.7 isn't a true Top 40 station either; it's more of a Hot AC station. Basically, either 92.9 FM or 100.7 FM needs to be flipped to Active Rock. Keep 96.9 FM as it is since they play a wider variety of old and new, plus they get better ratings than the other two, and keep 99.7 FM since they have the "sleepy" Adult Contemporary market cornered. Unfortunately, the other two stations are very similar in ratings, so it's hard to tell which one to flip.

By the way, I took a look at 93.7's Arbitron PPM ratings for December 2009, and January and February 2010. As you know, 93.7 was flipped from Top 40 to Sports on February 15, and it already looks as if it's a mistake. The station's ratings in December and January were 3.8, but in February dropped to 2.1, and is already below 1250 AM in ratings. I bet that the ratings will be even lower in March without any Top 40 airplay whatsoever.

I know some of you don't like Top 40, but B94 was an integral part of my childhood, so I hate seeing it go (again).

Last edited by Craziaskowboi; 04-21-2010 at 12:28 AM..

Old 04-21-2010, 01:34 AM

Pittsburgh FM radio - Arbitron ratings (February 2010)

1. WDVE - 102.5 FM
Format: Classic Rock
Rating: 10.2

2.WPGB - 104.7 FM
Format: News/Talk
Rating: 6.9

3. WDSY - 107.9 FM
Format: Country
Rating: 6.7

4. WRRK - 96.9 FM
Format: Adult Hits
Rating: 6.2

5. WKST - 96.1 FM
Format: Top 40
Rating: 6.0

6. WSHH - 99.7 FM
Format: Adult Contemporary
Rating: 5.5

T7. WXDX - 105.9 FM
Format: Alternative
Rating: 5.4

T7. WWSW - 94.5 FM
Format: Oldies
Rating: 5.4

9. WZPT - 100.7 FM
Format: Hot AC
Rating: 4.4

10. WLTJ - 92.9 FM
Format: Hot AC
Rating: 3.7

11. WDUQ - 90.5 FM
Format: Variable
Rating: 2.7

T12. WOGG - 94.9 FM
Format: Country (transmitter located in outlying area)
Rating: 2.1

T12. KDKA - 93.7 FM
Format: Sports
Rating: 2.1

14. WQED - 89.3 FM
Format: Classical
Rating: 1.7

15. WVAQ - 101.9 FM
Format: Top 40 (transmitter located in outlying area)
Rating: 1.6

T16. WPKV - 98.3 FM
Format: Christian Contemporary
Rating: 1.5

T16. WOGI - 104.3 FM
Format: Country (transmitter located in outlying area)
Rating: 1.5

18. WORD - 101.5 FM
Format: Christian
Rating: 1.2

Notes

WVAQ, 101.9 FM, broadcasts most clearly in Greene and Fayette Counties, plus adjacent parts of Washington and Westmoreland Counties. The signal also carries reasonably well up the Monongahela River Valley into extreme southern Allegheny County. In Allegheny and Westmoreland Counties, the signal deteriorates rapidly from south to north.

WOGG, WOGH and WOGI broadcast at 94.9 FM, 103.5 FM and 104.3 FM, respectively. These three stations simulcast Country with the "Froggy" brand. The WOGG transmitter is located in Fayette County, and broadcasts clearly across all of Fayette County, plus adjacent parts of Greene, Washington, Westmoreland and Somerset Counties. The signal is capable of being heard reasonably clear in extreme southern Allegheny County, but it deteriorates rapidly the farther north you go. The WOGH transmitter is located in Jefferson County, OH, and broadcasts clearly across the entire panhandle of West Virginia, plus east-central Ohio and most of Beaver and Washington Counties in Pennsylvania. The signal is capable of being heard reasonably clear in western Allegheny County, but it deteriorates rapidly the farther east you go. The WOGI transmitter is located in Beaver County, and broadcasts clearly across an area that's slightly north and east of the WOGH coverage area. This would include all of Beaver and Lawrence Counties, plus most of Allegheny, Washington and Butler Counties, the northern panhandle of West Virginia, and Columbiana County in Ohio. The redundancy between the WOGH and WOGI coverage areas means that one of them could probably be dropped without much of an impact on Froggy listenership. (My recommendation is to keep WOGH and drop WOGI, since WOGH has a slightly larger coverage area, and Pittsburgh already has WDSY, 107.9 FM.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:44 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
To me, 100.7 isn't a true Top 40 station either; it's more of a Hot AC station. Basically, either 92.9 FM or 100.7 FM needs to be flipped to Active Rock. Keep 96.9 FM as it is since they play a wider variety of old and new, plus they get better ratings than the other two, and keep 99.7 FM since they have the "sleepy" Adult Contemporary market cornered. Unfortunately, the other two stations are very similar in ratings, so it's hard to tell which one to flip.

By the way, I took a look at 93.7's Arbitron PPM ratings for December 2009, and January and February 2010. As you know, 93.7 was flipped from Top 40 to Sports on February 15, and it already looks as if it's a mistake. The station's ratings in December and January were 3.8, but in February dropped to 2.1, and is already below 1250 AM in ratings. I bet that the ratings will be even lower in March without any Top 40 airplay whatsoever.

I know some of you don't like Top 40, but B94 was an integral part of my childhood, so I hate seeing it go (again).
In my opinion, 100.7 was Hot AC before they started adding more Top 40 songs to the mix, now it's a mix between Top 40 and Hot AC but it's leaning more towards Top 40, especially during the weekends. Also, I can get WVAQ in most parts of Greensburg where I'm from, and it also comes in around Monroeville if I'm out that way. Also, another Renda station, 107.1 WHJB is based in Greensburg, but I've heard it all the way out in the Pittsburgh city limits, although it depends on where you're at because of the topography. I'm also surprised that 104.7's ratings are as high as they are, considering that there's KQV, KDKA, etc.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
In my opinion, 100.7 was Hot AC before they started adding more Top 40 songs to the mix, now it's a mix between Top 40 and Hot AC but it's leaning more towards Top 40, especially during the weekends. Also, I can get WVAQ in most parts of Greensburg where I'm from, and it also comes in around Monroeville if I'm out that way. Also, another Renda station, 107.1 WHJB is based in Greensburg, but I've heard it all the way out in the Pittsburgh city limits, although it depends on where you're at because of the topography. I'm also surprised that 104.7's ratings are as high as they are, considering that there's KQV, KDKA, etc.
KDKA's daytime programming is entirely local, with guys like Marty Griffin, Mike Pintek and Robert Mangino, while their nighttime programming is syndicated. On the other hand, WPGB's daytime programming is primarily syndicated, with the exception being a local morning show with Quinn and Rose. Otherwise, you have the standard rundown of Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Michael Savage. (Say what you want about them, but they all get good ratings.) Basically, each station serves its own niche well, with KDKA being more local and moderate to liberal, and WPGB being more syndicated and conservative.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:56 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Here's what I think they should do

(On the fence about Q/Lite FM)
Bring B94 back
Leave 3WS alone
Switch KISS to Urban
Swich Bob to "True Alternative"
Leave WSSH alone
Switch Star back to Hot AC
Leave WDVE alone
Make the talk station (104.7) more localized and add some sports talk
Make the X "officially" Active Rock (they already are, they just won't admit it)
Leave WDSY alone

Old 04-21-2010, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Here's what I think they should do

(On the fence about Q/Lite FM)
Bring B94 back
Leave 3WS alone
Switch KISS to Urban
Swich Bob to "True Alternative"
Leave WSSH alone
Switch Star back to Hot AC
Leave WDVE alone
Make the talk station (104.7) more localized and add some sports talk
Make the X "officially" Active Rock (they already are, they just won't admit it)
Leave WDSY alone
That plan looks reasonable, although Bob FM is considered more Adult Alternative, which basically means it's alternative rock from the 1970's to the present, and none too heavy. If we're going to have a true Alternative station and switch 105.9 FM to Active Rock, then flip 92.9 FM to Alternative, especially if 100.7 FM goes back to Hot AC.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:57 AM

315 posts, read 665,295 times
Solution:

Buy an IPod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh