Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 02:48 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Judging by the colors in the 12 "big" states (8,000,000+ population), it appears to me that Pennsylvania fared the best during the 2000's. Here's how I'd order them based on what I see:

Location quotient change by state with 8,000,000+ population (highest to lowest)
1. Pennsylvania
2. New Jersey
3. New York
4. Florida
5. Illinois
6. Virginia
7. Michigan
8. California
9. Ohio
10. North Carolina
11. Georgia
12. Texas
I'm surprised to see the three Sun Belt/Southern states rank so low in your opinion based off the map considering how much they've grown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 03:10 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I'm surprised to see the three Sun Belt/Southern states rank so low in your opinion based off the map considering how much they've grown.
it's important to remember what the map represents. as I understand it, it's saying the sunbelt states are adding non-degreed people at a faster rate than the national average...and it isn't necessarily a problem so long as there's work non-degreed people. on the whole, houston is probably a better place for those people than ny.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:59 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Yeah, it is all about HOW they have grown--and in fact our relative lack of such growth is part of how our attainment stats can be increasing so fast.

Whether it is a problem for those locales isn't immediately obvious, although I would suggest that at the least they need to be doing a good job improving the educational attainment of subsequent generations.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
on the whole, houston is probably a better place for those people than ny.
I agree, although a lot of that is just because NYC isn't building enough places for such people to live. In other words, the rent is too damn high!

Old 02-06-2012, 06:08 PM

34 posts, read 81,309 times
Not all of the smart people. Lol.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:26 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I agree, although a lot of that is just because NYC isn't building enough places for such people to live. In other words, the rent is too damn high!
and the costs to build in ny are too damned high as well. in places like houston it's cheaper to build...plus there are a fair amount of jobs in the chemical and oil and gas sector there that don't require degrees (and some of those jobs and people are showing up in PA now, roughnecks and such).

Old 02-06-2012, 09:14 PM

True, although a lot of that extra cost in NYC is ultimately regulatory origin, including a share of land prices.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:13 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
it's important to remember what the map represents. as I understand it, it's saying the sunbelt states are adding non-degreed people at a faster rate than the national average...
Some of that may have to do with retirees moving south. retirees tend to have less degrees than the younger generations.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,217 times
This is a joke. These "educated young people"...where are they and exactly what is their education? It is an open secret that its extremely difficult to recruit qualified people for technology jobs in Pittsburgh....including just recent university graduates. If there are graduates, they appear to be receiving degrees that qualify them to do nothing.

Any company, family planning to establish an operation in Pittsburgh or move needs to be very careful and be sure to perform the proper due diligence. I would strongly recommend not relying on the locals and talk to people who have visited or moved from other regions (including those who left....especially those who left).

For those locals who will give the typical local response to my comments above.....I grew up in the region, came back to try and build a business here....and the time I was back helped me to remember why I wanted to leave so bad in the first place....

Old 10-28-2012, 07:34 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJR14 View Post
I grew up in the region, came back to try and build a business here....and the time I was back helped me to remember why I wanted to leave so bad in the first place....
Shame your business was a failure. I suspect that is your reasoning in your rant, because YOU couldn't cut it here in Pittsburgh, this finding can't be true. Again, sorry you couldn't cut it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh