Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 03:45 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times

Advertisements

Also, Wheeling is not a dump. It's a mostly-intact Victorian city with a lot of potential.

Also, I'm going here soon: http://www.palaceofgold.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 04:00 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
the palace of gold is really sweet to go visit but the tour is kind of a ripoff. just visiting the grounds (which is free) is really all you need. you can have free lunch there if you don't mind hare krishnas trying to recruit you. the whole place was built by hippies who didn't know what they were doing and it shows. personally, i find that kind of charming/amusing. anyway, driving through rural west virginia, turning a corner and seeing this crazy indian palace in the mountains is worth the drive in itself.

also definitely go to the things i mentioned in moundsville if you're out that way. there's a really neat, super hilly (state?) park there as well. there's also a teensy little toy museum there that sounds cool but it was closed when we went. i think you might have to call ahead.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:12 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
You people act like that's a bad thing.

Oh, no, don't you worry, we're starting to get those hipster weirdos here and there in Mo'Town, too. Pabst drinking, fauxhemian living, thick-rimmed glasses wearing hipsters. They all look like characters from a Wes Anderson movie. That strange retro-grease look...or whatever the hell it is. As a member of Generation Y, they **** me the hell off. Our generation is essentially vacuous culturally. The result is the hipster...a strange little breed of human, unable to find their own style, their own creativity...they look to the style of things past...an homage to a culture they can't appreciate as when it was formulated because they didn't experience what got them to where they arrived at...rather depressing.

And thank you for saying that Morgantown has none of that. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
WVUPharm and Groar,

I am definitely not looking to hang out with hipsters or any other self-satisfied, swill-drinking poseurs. But, truth be told, many types of folks can be entertaining in moderation. Hippy bongo slappers, Toby Keith blasting monster truck enthusiasts, hari krishnas, ecovegan gestapo types, lounge singers, rappers, banjo pickers, gospel singers...

What I have enjoyed about the Pittsburghers is the general lack of pretense. I hope that is the case in Morgantown too. But I don't bruise easily.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Speaking of Moundsville, you have to go on a tour of the old Penitentiary---one of the most dangerous prisons in the United States.

It's known world wide and has a reputation of being the most haunted building west of the Mississippi.

They have a monthly midnight ghost tours and overnight ghost hunts too.

It's also a popular destination at Halloween when it becomes the Dungeon of Horrors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh