Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 10:56 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,745 times

Advertisements

Just curious about what people think Oakland may become within the next decade or two. There's been a lot of reports stating that commercial office space is sitting at 0 or near 0% vacency within the Oakland area, and with downtown Pittsburgh requiring the demolition of other structures and somewhat tricky placement of buildings in a lot of areas, do you think Oakland could see some midrises or even highrises within its future? It doesn't really have the population and Pitt sort of conflicts with that idea...but I wonder if Oakland could become something of a second skyline for Pittsburgh in the way that Bellevue and Buckhead have emerged near Seattle and Atlanta? Definately nowhere near the same level as those two...but do you think companies could elect to build and locate in Oakland as an alternative to downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 11:03 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Oakland is simply too congested already. Plus, it's a hassle to commute there with traffic.

It would make more sense to build skyscrapers on the North Shore and North Side since it's right across the bridge from downtown.

There are also many smaller buildings that can be torn down in the downtown triangle area, the strip district area, and the uptown area.

I just think there are still many other options for skyscrapers that are better than the oakland area.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:11 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Some taller buildings might be a good option for some of those vacant/parking lots on the Fifth/Forbes corridor through Uptown. It would help link Oakland and Downtown.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:28 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
There was a time when both the Steelers and Pirates played in Oakland, how did people deal with the traffic then?

Old 04-17-2010, 11:32 AM

875 posts, read 1,489,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Some taller buildings might be a good option for some of those vacant/parking lots on the Fifth/Forbes corridor through Uptown. It would help link Oakland and Downtown.
Why this isn't the case already is beyond me.

I think Oakland could stand to grow horizontally long before it really growing up vertically. For Oakland I see in the immediate future continued growth along the Mon at the PTC/Hazelwood LTV site and the Baum-Centre corridor towards East Liberty.

Like Fleetibelle just said, I think its growth along the Forbes/Fifth corridor towards Uptown is inevitable. This is great news for Uptown because you basically have Downtown and Oakland growing TOWARDS each other with Uptown between them.

The Hill District is also between the two and it stands to be infilled as well. The Hill is different than it was decades ago, and has many vacant lots. I think Oakland development is already pushing towards the Upper Hill area near Centre Ave. I think much of the Hill development hinges on the development around the Civic Arena in the Lower Hill and partially why that even though the Hill is seemingly prime real estate geographically, development is so stagnant. I don't think continued negative perception of the Hill area can deter Oakland's vigorous development for long. The Herron Hill area is actually a quite pleasant and quiet area. The views from the hilltop there I would say rival those offered by Mount Washington. Transportation would have to improve because traversing between the Hill and Oakland is quite cumbersome. A new incline or aerial tramway like BrianTH and I have been discussing would go miles in alleviating travel between the two areas.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:32 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,638 times
We are going to see some sizable buildings go up in the next few years in western Oakland around Craft Avenue and also in the old Allegheny County Health Department area. This will add to the demand of sprucing up the area heading towards Downtown. The area around the Birmingham Bridge leaves a lot to be desired. There is hope that the Consol Energy Center will spur development Uptown. The distance from Craft Avenue to Consol Energy Center is less than two miles. Some momentum each way will connect the two areas. The area around the Birmingham Bridge is a great location because one can walk over to the South Side from there. I would be surprised if this area is not fully developed by 2020 if not sooner. Pittsburgh has too much going for it right now as we emerge out of the recession. I expect some of the projects that were put on hold to be revived. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09098/961217-28.stm This article is from one year ago.

Last edited by nuwaver88; 04-17-2010 at 01:53 PM..

Old 04-17-2010, 05:11 PM

875 posts, read 1,489,820 times
In adding with nuwaver88's sentiments, the Birmingham Bridge was fitted with bike lanes a few years back. Having used it several times, I must admit that makes a great biking avenue in both directions. The only issue is the connections on either end of the bridge, especially on the north end. Unless cyclists take the sidewalk along Fifth Avenue, taking Forbes proves real hostile, and I would love to see traffic calming implemented in this area to make it more accommodating. The bike lanes would see even more use if this were so. This however doesn't really do anything to address biking in the Uptown area, but that's a different beast entirely.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:51 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
I don't see true skyscrapers, but like others above I see a lot of big projects spreading the dense core of Oakland in multiple direction (into the Bluff and also toward Bloomfield), plus new development in the Hazelwood LTV. And I also think some sort of new public transit is inevitable, because parking and driving are already difficult, and it is just going to get worse.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:20 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,630,543 times
Oakland is OK. But I personally wouldn't want to live there. Too, too many college kids.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:48 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Oakland is OK. But I personally wouldn't want to live there. Too, too many college kids.

I hear Big Ben is moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh