Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:16 AM

4,692 posts, read 8,988,628 times

Advertisements

Josh, the OP wanted to know where a good neighborhood was to meet young gay singles. It's no different than if a straight man asked what a good neighborhood was to meet young single women. He's not discriminating, he's just trying to have a healthy dating life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshM25 View Post
If I asked where the straight areas are in Pittsburgh, I would be labeled as a homophobe. There's just an enormous double standard. If equality is truly the goal, then why separate yourself? The Pittsburgh I know is no different than the Pittsburgh gay people know and enjoy. We root for the same sports teams, work at the same offices, enjoy the great natural landscapes, eat at the same restaurants, etc. etc. The only exception I can think of is gay bars or the like.

The only reason people have a hard time meeting like-minded people is because they box themselves into a nice little comfort zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 09:19 AM

194 posts, read 620,838 times
Quote:
Because after all, straight people experience a different Pittsburgh than gay people...

Ridiculous.
Josh, it's not ridiculous. In many, many locations on the planet, LGBT people do, in fact, have a very different experience of place than that of their heterosexual co-habitants. And this difference, sadly, often has much to do with hostility and violence.

The OP noted that he wanted to have a good social life, and thus was interested in finding out where the gayborhoods were. But above and beyond this, some LGBT people prefer to live in such locales because they do not want to live as the pariahs in their communities. I, for one, have never wanted to live in the "gay ghetto," but I have also experienced neighborhoods where my orientation - if known - made for some very uncomfortable living, from tight-lipped, tortured "hellos" from the "neighbors," to being called "f**got" more times than I can count. I want to live in a neighborhood which I can be part of, not one where I'm either attacked or, at best, "tolerated." I'm looking to relocate to Pittsburgh at the moment, and I can tell you, if I wind up buying a home in a community where I have to face an undercurrent of overt or covert hostility, I'm going to be very unhappy. But from what I've read on these fora - that Pittsburghers are generally quite accepting (different from "tolerant") - I'm going to be optimistic that this won't be the case.

Not to say, of course, that gayborhoods are the bastions of inclusivity and acceptance. The muscle queen/circuit boys often look down on the "fats and fems," race is still an issue in many ways, and gay men and lesbians are often at loggerheads on social/political issues. But living in a gayborhood, one at least knows that one's sexual identity is not going to make her/him a target because of that identity. And that's something I think some heterosexual people don't understand - not because they're "bad," but because it's hard to understand until you've lived it. For years.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:14 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,168,945 times
Gay singles milling about in a chic environment: The only choice in the city proper is Shadyside near Ellsworth Street. The rest of Shadyside is ok as well. It is the chic-est neighborhood in the city.

Gay population, but not as chic: Point Breeze, Regent Square, a little in Squirrel Hill, and Mexican War Streets somewhat. Be careful about Mexican War Streets though. It is an oasis in the middle of the ghetto.

Not a lot of gay people, but the locals won't harass you: Bloomfield, spots in Lawrenceville (near as possible to the Butler Street shops), South Side, and Polish Hill.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:58 AM

44 posts, read 80,393 times
[quote=Hopes;13849459]Because it's true! I have many gay friends who live in the Mexican War Streets. I've met many of their friends and neighbors when I visit them and attend their pareties. Gays have been gentrifying the Mexican War Street area for a long time.

I'm a big ol'HOMO. We would love to have you in the War Streets!

Old 04-23-2010, 12:55 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,559,706 times
Shadyside is your best bet imo but as long as you aren't a jerk and seek out trouble, I don't think you'll find any problems in the more educated/affluent areas of the city or suburbs. In other words, the same areas that are nice for everyone else will still be nice for you.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:54 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,988,628 times
Well, I'm practically flaming and I live in Mckees Rocks. My neighbors love me.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Well, I'm practically flaming and I live in Mckees Rocks. My neighbors love me.
I remember when you were thinking of moving there! I'm happy to hear that your neighbors made you feel so welcome! Great news! Thanks for sharing!

Old 04-28-2010, 01:52 PM

43 posts, read 97,672 times
It's 2010, I don't imagine there are many neighborhoods where you would get harrassed for being openly gay. Although we don't have a hopping singles scene, or any scene for that matter, Morningside has lots of young homeowners and gays. You could possibly afford to buy here and then make your way the 1.5 miles to Shadyside for a night out.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:16 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Quote:
Because after all, straight people experience a different Pittsburgh than gay people...

Ridiculous.
From the perspective of a fellow young gay male I can safely say it is frustrating going into neighborhood dominated by heterosexuals and having to worry if you buy a guy a drink or try to strike up a conversation that you might get punched in the face. I'm a masculine gay guy, but I have been hit on by girls on occasion and NEVER get "offended" in the same manner that some straight guys flip out if a gay dude makes a pass at them. Why do you straight dudes have to have such a coronary? If I were straight and a dude paid me a compliment, I'd tell him I wasn't interested but still feel flattered, nevertheless, that I was attractive enough to catch someone's eye.

When you're in your 20s and are single, what's the harm in wanting to be around people who you have a reasonably good chance play for the same "team?"

Old 04-28-2010, 09:05 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,852,741 times
^^^^Only thing I could think of is the person has Security Issues....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh