U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:36 AM

8 posts, read 16,358 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am wondering if people know of a new development neighborhood in the region which has what I can best describe as a New England aesthetic? For example, this is essentially my dream home:

Any idea where we might find a new neighborhood or development with homes like this in the Pittsburgh region? (I know that Sewickley Heights and Edgeworth have homes that come close, but the village is pretty run down and the commute is ugly, ugly, ugly.)

I was hoping their might be some new development of this type up north in the Wexford or Cranberry areas, which I am not at all familiar with.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 09:40 AM

Or a related question: do you know a custom builder who does this type of work?

Old 04-26-2010, 09:43 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,793,471 times
For a builder, Peter Perkins.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:52 AM

294 posts, read 565,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by densitydean View Post
Hello,

I am wondering if people know of a new development neighborhood in the region which has what I can best describe as a New England aesthetic? For example, this is essentially my dream home:

Any idea where we might find a new neighborhood or development with homes like this in the Pittsburgh region? (I know that Sewickley Heights and Edgeworth have homes that come close, but the village is pretty run down and the commute is ugly, ugly, ugly.)

I was hoping their might be some new development of this type up north in the Wexford or Cranberry areas, which I am not at all familiar with.

Thanks!

I'm sorry, but the village is far from run down. Some clothing boutiques have indeed closed recently, but saying that the entire district is run down is a quite an exaggeration.

It's also interesting that you mention Wexford and Cranberry as possibilities, because they don't even have a historic business district at all. Nor will you probably find anything resembling your dream home in the newer suburban cul-de-sac plans that make up the majority of the housing stock in those areas.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewickleyPA View Post
I'm sorry, but the village is far from run down. Some clothing boutiques have indeed closed recently, but saying that the entire district is run down is a quite an exaggeration.
I didn't know stores had closed -- I'm talking about physically run down. The streets are crumbling, the sidewalks are crumbling, lots of houses in the village area are struggling with the same decades of neglect that the rest of the region is.

Quote:
It's also interesting that you mention Wexford and Cranberry as possibilities, because they don't even have a historic business district at all. Nor will you probably find anything resembling your dream home in the newer suburban cul-de-sac plans that make up the majority of the housing stock in those areas.
But I don't care about a historic business district. If I'm near one, fine, but it's not a priority, and being around one that is in disrepair is a severe negative.

I'm not interested in an argument about this. You like Sewickley -- great! I don't, and I say this not merely to antagonize Sewickley residents, but to help people understand what I am and am not looking for.

If you have nothing useful to add, maybe you could help your blood pressure and stay off this thread .

Old 04-26-2010, 10:06 AM

393 posts, read 582,879 times
I don't know how strongly wedded you are to the Cedar shake as part of the "New England aesthetic" (or to the house or lot size in the picture), but Summerset at Frick Park has models that I think of as very New England-y in the Village line (especially the Cassat and the Bradford):

Community - Summerset at Frick Park

Not exactly the same, but a lot different from the foursquares and Victorians that dominate the city housing stock and the colonials that dominate the new developments in the suburbs.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:14 AM

2,214 posts, read 3,750,644 times
Quote:
I'm not interested in an argument about this. You like Sewickley -- great! I don't, and I say this not merely to antagonize Sewickley residents, but to help people understand what I am and am not looking for.

If you have nothing useful to add, maybe you could help your blood pressure and stay off this thread .
I don't think I have anything useful to add, but if I did, I'm not sure I would.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:09 PM

9,918 posts, read 19,678,662 times
Commute if you mean to downtown from Sewickley Heights or Edgeworth is not longer than Wexford or Cranberry. In the former, it's easy to avoid the village proper. In the latter, since it's right next door, it's a bit less easy but still doable. That said, although a few places (maybe a number in Edgeworth) may be in that style, and they're perhaps more likely than other areas of town, they're not necessarily going to be up for sale. You might have a couple to choose from if that, and then they may not match up well with your ideal.

A custom builder should be able to do anything you want, clearly. Don't have a specific rec. You'll have to go digging for some land, perhaps.

Or you could try a higher end new construction subdivision. I drive by one every day called The Summit, which is in Marshall Township. Not much has been built in there, though, from what I can tell. Could be isolated. One-acre lots, I believe, and I can't speak to the builder(s) reputation or even if you are limited to a specific builder or two. These are looking to be 700-800k houses, or at least they were when they laid out the place. It sure doesn't look like there is much going on in there. Copper Creek is another one, even larger home sites, just around the corner from the first place. Not sure what if anything has actually been built yet. Seems like once you're in that range you're not picking from your standard McMansion house styles. These places are convenient to get onto I-79 south at the Warrendale interchange. (This is a half-interchange. There's an entrance going south, and an exit from the northbound lanes, and that's it, but it's fine if you're commuting towards Pittsburgh.) Close to Cranberry, Wexford, etc.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:11 AM

2,384 posts, read 3,461,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post
I don't know how strongly wedded you are to the Cedar shake as part of the "New England aesthetic" (or to the house or lot size in the picture), but Summerset at Frick Park has models that I think of as very New England-y in the Village line (especially the Cassat and the Bradford):

Community - Summerset at Frick Park

Not exactly the same, but a lot different from the foursquares and Victorians that dominate the city housing stock and the colonials that dominate the new developments in the suburbs.
At Summerset, it's Montgomery and Rust that build the "Village" homes. The founders of the firm have roots in New England, and I think that influence can be seen in a lot of their work.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:16 AM

3,191 posts, read 5,699,393 times
Quote:

Any idea where we might find a new neighborhood or development with homes like this in the Pittsburgh region?
Yes, along the Allegheny River off of Freeport Road in Fox Chapel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh