Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 10:00 PM

3 posts, read 6,228 times

Advertisements

How long would a commute from the Ross/McCandless Township areas be to South Side Works? I am relocating from NC to Pittsburgh for American Eagle Outfitters, and trying to get a commute under 30-40 minutes. Please let me know your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 08:50 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,076 times
Your commute should be within your goal, but it somewhat depends on how long it takes to get to the highway from where you are living in Ross.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:19 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
The closer you are to 279 (aka Parkway North), the shorter your commute will be. No matter where you live in Ross or McCandless, that will be your route. That said, most parts of those areas should result in a 40 min or less commute, I would think, at least in the morning. It seems like the afternoon commute might be tougher.

Note, for South Side Works, from 279 take the Veterans Bridge (aka 579) to Blvd of the Allies (towards Oakland). Stay on Blvd of the Allies past the Forbes Ave exit, then make a right at Bates. Take that down to the end, make a left, then a right on the Hot Metal Bridge and you're there. You can reverse this to go home, but, the Veterans Bridge backs up much more in the afternoon rush, possibly because of the way the merge onto 279 is handled. I'm not sure if the other options will actually be shorter on the way home, though. You don't want to use Carson. I suppose you could take 2nd Ave all the way into downtown and get on the Parkway North from there, but still not sure it'll cut the time.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:36 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
I have a friend that works there and they have parking right by the building which is nice. They also let you work flex time so my friend gets there early and leaves early every day. This way he avoids the afternoon rush hour traffic which as the OP mentioned is worth than the morning rush hour traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh