U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-27-2010, 09:04 PM

67,336 posts, read 54,947,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewickleyPA View Post
Well maybe it's because skiing is only one small part of the larger category of high impact sports...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The interactive describes the category in question as "skiing facilities, fitness centers, and recreational sports centers." Skiing facilities maybe not so much, but you can't swing a dead cat in New York without hitting a fitness or sports center of some sort.
The cities I mentioned also are readily accessible to snowshoeing, mountain climbing (real mountains), mountain biking (ditto), hiking, whitewater rafting, biking, running, and lots of rec/fitness centers. Probably the only thing we don't have in that category is a lot of water sports, other than rafting.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 07:38 AM

8,591 posts, read 6,753,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
I couldn't agree more. Hipsters make me sick. I remember seeing these clowns in NYC act like it was an adventure to go from their apt on the Upper West Side to Brooklyn. I would hate for Pittsburgh to ever get like that. I would rather the city burn to the ground than to be taken over by hipsters, hippies, and yuppies.
that's a NY thing, it certainly predates hipsters. It does take a while, esp if you can't catch an express because it's out for track work. indeed, I'd wager people in san fran are like that as well.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:47 AM

11,744 posts, read 17,397,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
that's a NY thing, it certainly predates hipsters. It does take a while, esp if you can't catch an express because it's out for track work. indeed, I'd wager people in san fran are like that as well.
Having lived in both NYC and SF, they are MUCH MUCH worse on the West Coast.

In the NYC, they are really a very small minority. For one, they are generally caucasian, and a small segment of the caucasian population - young american born recent college graduate, etc.. Being that NYC consists of so many non-caucasians everywhere...and even the caucasians are so varied - Italians, Eastern Europeans, etc.

Out on the West Coast however...where the caucasian population is just so much larger...and the 'hip factor' even more prevalant drawing them in droves...and if SF seemed to have a lot of them...it's even moreso up in the Northwest - Seattle, Portland, etc.

(I'm caucasian/white as well - but NYC really turned me off the hipster element. Just a monotousness sameness - 'we're all different, so we all dress and try to look the same to celebrate being different' robotic element to it...that really is annoying).

--

All that being said, Portland Oregon is still a really nice little city with a ton of great things going for it. Come to think of it, that 'hip' element of Portland is more coming from it's surroundings and area. Whereas that small little 'hipster' scene of NYC is so annoying, as the city is so beautiful because of its massive diversity and incredible varied people - so seeing this bubble of robotic people completely unaware of the city they choose to live in, makes it even more annoying.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:06 PM

2,477 posts, read 1,545,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Oh yeah! Lots like that in SF, but honestly it's part of the charm. I mean SF is the birthplace of lots of what we call hip today.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:51 AM

8,864 posts, read 5,296,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The cities I mentioned also are readily accessible to snowshoeing, mountain climbing (real mountains), mountain biking (ditto), hiking, whitewater rafting, biking, running, and lots of rec/fitness centers. Probably the only thing we don't have in that category is a lot of water sports, other than rafting.
Repeat after me Katiana, "the Rockies are booorrrrriiiinnnnngggg!!!!!!"

(Seriously, when I worked in Colorado, one of our biologists was totally bored with the mountains. He loved the plains. His mottos: 1) "Seen one alpine meadow, you've seen em all;" and 2), we all loved this one.. "The Prairie is my Ocean.")

Maybe if the word gets out, fewer hipsters will roll into town, and you can keep all those horribly dull 14,000 ft peaks to yourselves....

I cannot recall if hipsters are infesting the Front Range like Portland, Oregon, and NYC, but I would wager you have seen plenty of pasty, pseudo-working class-clad, Pabst and Starbucks sipping folks with "tribal" earrings, rad tats, and the like of late. They don't bother me, but I will say the type of folks whose whole persona screams "validate me," are precious. I can recognize the "I was just waaaayyyy tooo cool for (insert sleepy, but probably nice flyover town), so I had to rush to pay way too much to crowd into (insert trendy coastal megacity, or upscale beach or ski nazi town here)" types on sight. If you mention Pittsburgh,Cleveland, or iceberg lettuce, I hear they scatter like roaches.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:10 AM

8,864 posts, read 5,296,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Oh yeah! Lots like that in SF, but honestly it's part of the charm. I mean SF is the birthplace of lots of what we call hip today.
Probably true historically, but SF has also become something of a joke.
I read yesterday that Gavin Newsom wants to boycott Arizona over its immigration laws. All that Bay Area self righteousness and self-satisfaction is so 20th century. The Golden State has plenty of its own baggage to sort through.

But to the degree that the carnival of cultures and weirdos is still rolling in SF,and I hope it is, I agree it is great to people watch and know that if you are hip, weird,crazy, a yodling transvestite from Transylvania, whatever, people will accept you. And after all, aren't hipsters just kids trying to be cool? That may change form, but it ain't going anywhere.

The problem in my mind with hipsters, and to some degree SF, is that thinking you are cool and being cool, are very different things. Both try too hard, IMO.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:35 AM

11,744 posts, read 17,397,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I cannot recall if hipsters are infesting the Front Range like Portland, Oregon, and NYC, but I would wager you have seen plenty of pasty, pseudo-working class-clad, Pabst and Starbucks sipping folks with "tribal" earrings, rad tats, and the like of late. They don't bother me, but I will say the type of folks whose whole persona screams "validate me," are precious. I can recognize the "I was just waaaayyyy tooo cool for (insert sleepy, but probably nice flyover town), so I had to rush to pay way too much to crowd into (insert trendy coastal megacity, or upscale beach or ski nazi town here)" types on sight. If you mention Pittsburgh,Cleveland, or iceberg lettuce, I hear they scatter like roaches.
haha...that is true.

Over here in Japan...where we certainly have our 'hipster' types 'too cool for school' young expat Americans, Canadians, Brits, Australians, you name it.

But, so true! Whenever I mention that I *might* go back to the U.S., and Pittsburgh is high on the list of cities....you can hear the pin drops...followed by 'have you considered Seattle?' type of replies.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:44 AM

4,262 posts, read 3,744,074 times
I don't know what to make of "hipsters" themselves. I come across people who can be called hipsters but don't have that mentality. They just like the culture (meaning music, movies and art.)

I think the term "hipster" is becoming almost cliched. If someone has the hipster look and the culture, but are very down to earth (meaning no atitude) does this make them a hipster or just someone who liek to keep up on things?

Old 04-29-2010, 10:49 AM

9 posts, read 9,877 times
i love posts assuming things about "hipsters" and then expressing how much they are annoying because of those vague traits broadly ascribed to them.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:37 AM

20,274 posts, read 17,265,941 times
Ever since industrialization brought us mass-produced and mass-marketed culture, there have been the equivalent of hipsters (e.g., bohemians, beatniks, etc.), particularly among the young and affluent. And in my view, there is typically both some good and not-so-good things about any given version, and in any event it is pretty much unavoidable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh