Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 07:49 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,308 times

Advertisements

Within Allegheny County that is. When I go to certain communities, I get the vibe moreso than others. The places I don't get the vibe as much would be in the far northeast portions of the county such as Tarentum, Frazer, Harmar or in the far south portion such as Elizabeth and Forward Twp. Even Robinson doesn't seem to have a strong vibe. On the other hand, I get a strong vibe in the northern suburbs such as Ross Township or Wexford. Same thing with Bethel Park, Mt. Lebanon and Monroeville. Outside of the county, I sense a strong vibe in the Cranberry area and the Washington area, but not so much around Greensburg or anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 08:01 PM

419 posts, read 448,235 times
Wexford gives me a raging vibe.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:46 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,638 times
Do you mean the new Pittsburgh, the old Pittsburgh, the stereotypical Pittsburgh? That is tough because suburbs are suburbs. Some are more upscale than others just like city neighborhoods.
Is a typical Pittsburgh suburban vibe supposed to be yinzeresque? Or is it supposed to be the home of many college graduates from the area's many colleges and universities. The latter is the Pittsburgh in which I was raised. Maybe others had more of a yinzeresque experience. I think all Pittsburgh suburbs are typical Pittsburgh in their vibe. The Pittsburgh area is a microcosm of America. I would not say that Dormont is any more Pittsburgh than Fox Chapel. If it were not a good place to be a success, Fox Chapel and affluent suburbs like it would not exist. All neighborhoods have a Pittsburgh vibe unless we sterotype what a typical Pittsburgher is supposedly like.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
Do you mean the new Pittsburgh, the old Pittsburgh, the stereotypical Pittsburgh? That is tough because suburbs are suburbs. Some are more upscale than others just like city neighborhoods.
Is a typical Pittsburgh suburban vibe supposed to be yinzeresque? Or is it supposed to be the home of many college graduates from the area's many colleges and universities. The latter is the Pittsburgh in which I was raised. Maybe others had more of a yinzeresque experience. I think all Pittsburgh suburbs are typical Pittsburgh in their vibe. The Pittsburgh area is a microcosm of America. I would not say that Dormont is any more Pittsburgh than Fox Chapel. If it were not a good place to be a success, Fox Chapel and affluent suburbs like it would not exist. All neighborhoods have a Pittsburgh vibe unless we sterotype what a typical Pittsburgher is supposedly like.
I don't mean to describe any neighborhood in the area as more yinzeresque than one another, or to stereotype a community. All suburbs and city neighborhoods are distinctively Pittsburgh as you mention it. Rather, when I say vibe, I really mean the feel for the area, like you feel like you're in Pittsburgh but you're really not, at least not in the city limits. In other words, I start getting the feel of the Pittsburgh region when I drive through Wheeling from points west on I-70, or when I drive through Somerset from points east on the PA Turnpike. Or if I'm travelling to Washington DC, I get that same feel of the area when I enter the Hagerstown area, and especially down into Frederick, MD.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:38 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,157 times
Cranberry and Wexford give me the same vibe as Boardman, Poland, and Cleveland suburbs. McKnight Rd in Ross Twp, though, seems distinctively Pittsburghesque. I think it has something to do with the terrain and the look of the houses.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:47 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Are we not including places like Etna, Millvale, Sharpsburg, Aspinwall, and so forth? All those little nearby rivertown suburbs feel just as Pittsburgh as Pittsburgh itself to me. You could do something similar with the rivertowns along the Ohio and Mon.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:21 AM

296 posts, read 560,870 times
Clairton

Old 04-30-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Are we not including places like Etna, Millvale, Sharpsburg, Aspinwall, and so forth? All those little nearby rivertown suburbs feel just as Pittsburgh as Pittsburgh itself to me. You could do something similar with the rivertowns along the Ohio and Mon.
All those towns have a strong Pittsburgh feel to me too, just like places such as Homestead, Clairton and McKeesport along the Mon and Coraopolis, Sewickley and McKees Rocks on the Ohio. Considering that most riverfront towns in the area have or had connections to the steel, coal and chemical industries, that itself would speak Pittsburgh in my opinion. Hell, even Wheeling, which is on the far reaches of the Pittsburgh metro has more of that Pittsburgh than West Virginia feel with the rundown buildings and riverfront atmosphere. On the other hand, I can't say the same thing for Morgantown, even though it's only two hours away from Downtown Pittsburgh. It feels like West Virginia to me.

Last edited by neurodistortion; 04-30-2010 at 06:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh