U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-01-2010, 12:15 PM

12,930 posts, read 19,519,317 times

Advertisements

I visited Cincinnati OH a few months ago along with Pittsburgh and others in the region.

I was surprised how similar Cincinnati felt to Pittsburgh!! I instantly liked Cincinnati. I still like Pittsburgh a whole lot more...but saw there is a lot to like about Cincinnati as well.

Generally though, that OH/PA border is a real shocker...OH is generally very very flat...but it does get a little hilly the closer you get to the PA border...but once you cross that border...you REALLY feel the hills/mountain feel. Like night and day.

I think down by Cincinnati, since it is basically across the river from Kentucky...you have more of that mountain type feel down in that region...so Cincinnati has a bit more of that feel. However, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati seem pretty far apart from each other physically.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 12:18 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,429,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
When I was growing up in the Pgh area, there was some disdain for W VA.
Kat -- My parents never had a bad word to say about other races, other creeds, or nationalities. Never once heard them use the pejorative slang for anyone.

Except West Virginians. They were called Hoopies.

My parents were born and raised in the mountains of PA and MD, as were the "waybacks" (my own genealogical term ) so my parents could be called hillbilly. So I agree, there has to be some thing that happened that caused this rift.

My first thought was the Civil War. West Virginia split with Virginia over this, and fought on the Union Side. So it can't be that.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:38 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,965,806 times
Native Pittsburghers are self-hating Appalachian "hillbillies". Somewhat more urban, which makes them unique, but still not very different than an average West Virginian. That's coming from a quasi-outsider with Scots-Irish lineage who has lived in proximity to these types for most of my life. And of course, I'm not being negative except for the self-hating part. They really need to get over that, eventually.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:48 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,630,092 times
I agree the Deliverance stuff is mostly just joking. The real concern is being associated with structural rural poverty.

Ohio . . . it depends on where you are talking. I think some here would claim Youngstown as part of our orbit. But Cleveland and Cincinatti are in other systems. Columbus . . . I'm not sure we know what to make of Columbus. I sometimes think we should establish a Pittsburgh-Columbus alliance, if for no other reason than to irk the rest of Ohio.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:39 PM

3,170 posts, read 6,682,483 times
^Eiww........Columbus is like Cranberry on steriods, Brian, i think you should definitely rethink that alliance. lol Columbus may arguably be more obsessed with the buckeyes than Pittsburgh is w/the steelers.....could be too close to call though.

As an Ohioan i think there are two opinions concerning that city in the middle of our state. One opinion is that Columbus is the city of opportunity, there are lots of jobs there, lots of young people and everything is shiny and new. As someone in my early 30s i've seen many of my Ne Ohio counterparts settle there and they seem to like it, a lot. They despise the "rust belt" and think those of us that have stayed "up north" are crazy. They seem to like having a Giant Eagle, Walmart and Home Depot on every corner.

I on the other hand hold the other opinion on Columbus. Ne Ohio has a larger GDP, is more densely populated, has more culture, has more of a soul, has more history, better architecture and better parks. If Columbus didn't have Ohio state and if it wasn't for our tax dollars being funneled there and almost wholey spent there, Cbus would still be a flat as a pancake cow town. hehe

Old 05-01-2010, 02:29 PM

43,016 posts, read 49,419,876 times
The mention of Hillbillies reminds me about my mother's encounters with that mentality.

When my parents married, my father worked in another state. As a result, my mother moved out of West Virginia immediately after getting married. She was an educated women, but she still talked like a West Virginian. My father told her she needed to watch certain sayings and words she used because she sounded like a Hillbilly outside of West Virginia. My mother wasn't offended. She realized how uneducated she sounded, and she quickly corrected those speach patterns.

Fast forward 20 years later, my oldest sister came back from attending her first year at Penn State at the main campus and called my mother a Hillbilly. My mother had dropped her hillbilly traits long before my sister was born. My sister had heard this negativity towards West Virginians while she was Penn State, not from Pittsburghers.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:36 PM

69,637 posts, read 59,710,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Kat -- My parents never had a bad word to say about other races, other creeds, or nationalities. Never once heard them use the pejorative slang for anyone.

Except West Virginians. They were called Hoopies.

My parents were born and raised in the mountains of PA and MD, as were the "waybacks" (my own genealogical term ) so my parents could be called hillbilly. So I agree, there has to be some thing that happened that caused this rift.

My first thought was the Civil War. West Virginia split with Virginia over this, and fought on the Union Side. So it can't be that.
LOL! I've heard that term "Hoopies" before, too! Don't know the derivation.

West Virginia was a slave state that remained in the union, and had a provision to gradually eliminate slavery.

Slave and free states - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

West Virginia joined the Union as a slave state in 1863 after agreeing to a gradual elimination of slavery after the Willey Amendment[1] was added to the state constitution and ratified by popular vote on March 26, 1863.

IIRC, there wasn't a lot of slavery in W VA b/c the land wasn't suitable for huge plantations.

Yeah, I dunno what the deal with W VA in general is/was. It was certainly more rural than PA when I was a kid.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:46 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,429,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
LOL! I've heard that term "Hoopies" before, too! Don't know the derivation.

West Virginia was a slave state that remained in the union, and had a provision to gradually eliminate slavery.

Slave and free states - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

West Virginia joined the Union as a slave state in 1863 after agreeing to a gradual elimination of slavery after the Willey Amendment[1] was added to the state constitution and ratified by popular vote on March 26, 1863.

IIRC, there wasn't a lot of slavery in W VA b/c the land wasn't suitable for huge plantations.

Yeah, I dunno what the deal with W VA in general is/was. It was certainly more rural than PA when I was a kid.
West Virginians looking for unskilled work ended up in barrel factories putting metal rings around the barrel to secure them..... hoops...

Old 05-01-2010, 02:50 PM

69,637 posts, read 59,710,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
West Virginians looking for unskilled work ended up in barrel factories putting metal rings around the barrel to secure them..... hoops...
Wow! Thanks!

Old 05-01-2010, 03:18 PM

3,170 posts, read 6,682,483 times
^We call Ohio Highway Patrolman Hoopies, always heard we called them that because of the hats they wear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh