Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2010, 09:18 AM

4 posts, read 10,562 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am looking at places Morewood and Baum that are South of the busway. Is this a safe area? I would be walking down to the 71C bus stop at Devonshire and Ellsworth to commute to Duquesne University. I am a 25 year old male. Should I have any concerns about living in that location and/or walking to that bus stop?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 09:32 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
None whatsoever. I take the 71C all the time from that area. Just have the street sense that you would have anywhere and you'll be fine.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:41 PM

60 posts, read 104,743 times
you would be a lot closer to the 71A (morewood and centre)from that location. And it runs much more often than the 71c.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:21 PM

4 posts, read 10,562 times
Thanks for the tip on the the other bus route? Any other concerns about living in this area? It will be my girlfriend and I.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:42 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric84asu View Post
Hello. I am looking at places Morewood and Baum that are South of the busway. Is this a safe area? I would be walking down to the 71C bus stop at Devonshire and Ellsworth to commute to Duquesne University. I am a 25 year old male. Should I have any concerns about living in that location and/or walking to that bus stop?

Thanks!
You shouldn't have any problems whatsoever. Devonshire is actually one of the nicest streets in Pittsburgh (and my favorite).

However, 71A indeed seems to be a better choice as it runs every 10 minutes on weekdays (compared to every 30 minutes for 71C), and your stop would be 1 block away instead of 3-4. No concern about walking that block either.

As far as the general area goes, Baum Blvd and Centre Ave are commercial strips with lots of traffic. I don't know how you'd label the little area you're talking about (Morewood between Baum and Millvale I guess) -- North Oakland, Bloomfield, I don't know. It's very small and I don't know anybody who's lived there but I walked through that area a few times and drove through very often. South of Centre Ave is an area called West Shadyside which is one of the wealthiest areas in the city. IMHO it's a great part of town even though Baum Blvd itself is depressing to look at (ugly not dangerous).

Old 05-04-2010, 09:39 PM

38 posts, read 80,134 times
who cares about the buses? you'll be within walking distance of the cricket!

Old 05-05-2010, 06:04 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
That is a great place to live...

Very safe, a lot within walking distance.

Use google transit for busses. Go to this link, put in your start and end address, time you want to leave and google will pull three options for public transit from the pittsburgh port authority website and map the route for you.

Google Transit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh