Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 11:33 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
@@

That must be why women pay higher insurance premiums, then. Oh wait, we don't.

Are Men Better Drivers Than Women? | Insurance.com
Means nothing to me. On a daily basis, I see more women breaking simple rules of the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 12:14 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
I don't want to diminish the problem of men being abusive to women, but I think there is a big difference between something like not holding a door versus being verbally or physically abusive, not paying a woman equally, and so on. And in fact I wouldn't count on the people who always hold doors specifically for women (as opposed to both men and women when it makes sense to do so) necessarily being any less prone to paying women less.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I don't want to diminish the problem of men being abusive to women, but I think there is a big difference between something like not holding a door versus being verbally or physically abusive, not paying a woman equally, and so on. And in fact I wouldn't count on the people who always hold doors specifically for women (as opposed to both men and women when it makes sense to do so) necessarily being any less prone to paying women less.
LOL................. the whole bowing thing killed me!

Old 05-04-2010, 05:08 PM

419 posts, read 448,308 times
I slam doors in women's faces and then yell, "You deserved it B*tch, now bake me a pie". That's how I roll.

This thread started out ok I guess. Anytime there is a best city for singles article the singles from that city come on and complain, tell their stories about how everybody of the opposite sex in that town sucks, and blame blame blame. The newspapers always have comment sections on these stories, and it is so funny reading the comments. Maybe some of us are single because of our own faults and issues?

I also agree. Any dude that is bowing to chicks in the streets is downright funny in a creepy way. Thats what you get in the south though.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:16 PM

294 posts, read 659,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
Well, being that I have been here almost 30 years, I'm a professional woman with a degree, I'm a mom and I do go out of the house I own in a middle to upper class neighborhood, I could say I've met a broad range of men. And I'd still say over all there seems to be a bias against women. Professional or middle class men just tend to be more reserved about it than say a "yinzer" would.

I'm not saying it's not in other places too. I think it's just more here. It could be cultural. Not sure. But men here to not go out of their way to treat females nicely. I've had men not hold doors for me, take a seat before me, not offer me a drink before themselves, general stuff like that.

The darker side of it is that the men will go after you, even as a female, when they feel you have one upped them, whether it's true or not. I can't tell you how many times I've been on a highway and passed a male driver only to have him speed up and aggressively pass me. I've also had them chase me down the Parkway when they didn't like me passing them. And I'm not the only female who has had this happen. It happens to my sister as well. And if that doesn't convince you, I know a prominent city attorney, who is a friend of ours, who passed a male driver on a Pittsburgh bridge on her way to work one morning. For that hideous offense, he chased her down, ran up to her car, screamed at her and spit in her face, all while his wife was sitting in the car. Of course, he chose to pick on the wrong female that day cause he is now in jail waiting his court date. Turns out he has a history of going after women.

I also was harrassed by a man while I was 8 months pregnant with my daughter. All because he thought he should be able to park in my driveway. Even the female cop I called to help me said a few choice words about him. He was a "yinzer", but why does that excuse the behavior?

I've also had men curse at me and use their middle finger while I was with my children. My children's first introduction to the middle finger was courtesy of a pissed off Pittsburgh male driver (what he was mad about, I'll never know). It was so much fun explaining that one to my kids.

As comparision, I visited the south and when I was at the hotel, my path crossed with a man going the opposite direction. He stopped, bowed, and let me pass.

All I'm saying is that while there are some very nice men here, I do not find Pittsburgh to be a top place for single females, or females of any variety. Survey's mean very little when your experiences were like mine and the other females I know.
Very funny post. Um sweetie, this isn't the 19th century anymore, but if you want to pretend it still is then I recommend moving to the south.

And don't try and act like this same stuff doesn't happen in bigger northeast cities like NYC, because it does. But instead of just chasing you with their car they would have probably pulled a gun on you too!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:08 PM

441 posts, read 766,341 times
Quote:
I can't tell you how many times I've been on a highway and passed a male driver only to have him speed up and aggressively pass me. I've also had them chase me down the Parkway when they didn't like me passing them.
I've had this happen plenty of times while my husband was driving. It's by no means a problem exclusive to women or to Pittsburgh. Some people just have chronic impatience and road rage.

I'm also confused as to why the attorney incident was even mentioned. The man who chased down the woman and spit in her face was obviously mentally deranged. It's a bit of unfair to use such an extreme example to argue that ALL men, even the average, mentally stable ones, are rude, sexist bastards.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:31 AM

I think it's funny we haven't heard back from Highway 28!

Last edited by TechieTransplant; 05-05-2010 at 07:42 AM..

Old 05-05-2010, 12:35 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
Well, being that I have been here almost 30 years, I'm a professional woman with a degree, I'm a mom and I do go out of the house I own in a middle to upper class neighborhood, I could say I've met a broad range of men. And I'd still say over all there seems to be a bias against women. Professional or middle class men just tend to be more reserved about it than say a "yinzer" would.

I'm not saying it's not in other places too. I think it's just more here. It could be cultural. Not sure. But men here to not go out of their way to treat females nicely. I've had men not hold doors for me, take a seat before me, not offer me a drink before themselves, general stuff like that.

The darker side of it is that the men will go after you, even as a female, when they feel you have one upped them, whether it's true or not. I can't tell you how many times I've been on a highway and passed a male driver only to have him speed up and aggressively pass me. I've also had them chase me down the Parkway when they didn't like me passing them. And I'm not the only female who has had this happen. It happens to my sister as well. And if that doesn't convince you, I know a prominent city attorney, who is a friend of ours, who passed a male driver on a Pittsburgh bridge on her way to work one morning. For that hideous offense, he chased her down, ran up to her car, screamed at her and spit in her face, all while his wife was sitting in the car. Of course, he chose to pick on the wrong female that day cause he is now in jail waiting his court date. Turns out he has a history of going after women.

I also was harrassed by a man while I was 8 months pregnant with my daughter. All because he thought he should be able to park in my driveway. Even the female cop I called to help me said a few choice words about him. He was a "yinzer", but why does that excuse the behavior?

I've also had men curse at me and use their middle finger while I was with my children. My children's first introduction to the middle finger was courtesy of a pissed off Pittsburgh male driver (what he was mad about, I'll never know). It was so much fun explaining that one to my kids.

As comparison, I visited the south and when I was at the hotel, my path crossed with a man going the opposite direction. He stopped, bowed, and let me pass.

All I'm saying is that while there are some very nice men here, I do not find Pittsburgh to be a top place for single females, or females of any variety. Survey's mean very little when your experiences were like mine and the other females I know.
highway29south, I TOTALLY agree with you that there is rampant bias against females here. (It's even WORSE in Youngstown and in Mercer county than in Pittsburgh.) Definitely cultural.

And I think the difference in the two cultures' (North and South) attitudes toward women is the religion and the ethnic mix. This region is heavily Catholic, Eastern European, Italian, Polish, and it's not too far removed from the Old Country and the ethnic mill worker roots. Those ethnic backgrounds, and Catholicism, in my opinion, do not as a majority, respect, educate, and empower women. The Irish are somewhat better, but the attitude that women are household servants for breeding is still going strong. Look at the token roles the Catholic church has tossed to women. Big whoop.

The South has far more Protestants, and English, Scottish, etc., background. That makes for better treatment of women. Live in the South, move back here, and you'll REALLY notice how they treat women like squaws here.

As for "going after" and other hostility toward women, yep, I've run into that, too. Loads of it. I work in a predominantly male occupation, men here just expect ALL women to defer to them, and it really upsets their applecart when they meet one who isn't a meek and submissive little twit. I get their attitude all the time, about how I don't act right, or don't act feminine enough, or my interests, which encompass science, technology, and money, while entirely omitting motherhood and childrearing, are not proper for a woman. Yeah, Daddy! If you don't like the way I drive, get out of that crosswalk. One less ethnic Catholic macho man in the town would be a d*mned good thing, if anyone asks me. I have a 1 ton truck. I can knock those cars into the wall good as anyone from NASCAR, lol!

As for Pittsburgh being a great place for single women, yes, it probably is, compared to the rest of western PA. Much of western PA is rural or small town, and poor, and literally there's nothing for women to do in those places except church and family. Women historically leave places like that and move into town, for the amenities. I've felt like I am under house arrest living in Mercer county. All there is to do do here is child rearing. The rest of the place is rural men's outdoorsy stuff, dive bars, biker trash, and lower socioeconomic dump. I love going to Pittsburgh. It's the only place I can meet urban professionals with college degrees.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:17 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,816,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I think it's funny we haven't heard back from Highway 28!
Ah, it's Highway29 not 28. And I do have a life. I don't spend all day on City Data.

Gee, another Pittsburgh male going trying to pick a fight. What a shocker. I guess I'm not allowed to have a different opinion. Another shocker.

I have lived in different cities outside of Pa. That is why I know the difference in how women are treated compared to here. No one is saying that Pittsburgh is the only place women get threatened. All I'm saying is that I don't think Pittsburgh deserves a top rating as a great place for women.

And by the way, I was honored by the man letting me go first and bowing. I much prefer being treated that way than being hunted down like an animal when I offend the great Pittsburgh Male by passing him on the highway.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:24 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
I certainly hope when someone holds a door open for you, you say thanks. I always hold doors open, and if I don't hear a thank you, in a very loud voice I say You're welcome.

Guess I'm just a caveman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh