Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 12:04 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times

Advertisements

I'd take our May and June this year over July so far, mostly because of the heat but also because I personally think a lot of those partly cloudy days without rain (or only brief periods of rain) are actually better than clear days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 07:53 PM

8 posts, read 17,106 times
One thing that I have not seen mentioned here is the fact that all averages and temperature ratings are taken at the airport. The airport seems to have a micro-climate all to its own. You could drag it 50-100 miles north. The temps in the area seem to average 4-6 degrees warmer. Even more for downtown. I live southwest of the city and we are always warmer than the airport. To see what I mean just look at Wheeling WVA. There seems to be a noticeable temp difference as far as averages go. I disagree with the winter temps of 34 all winter long. I agree that the last two winters were "brutal" but usually they are not that bad. The snow usually only last 2-3 days and temps in the 50's are not all that uncommon. The clouds in the winter can get old. Chicago isi much worse. I go there for business and the winters are bitter. I rarely use that term here. Below 0 temps are not mandatory. As far as the temps over 90 go again that is at the airport. You can pretty much double those numbers most years.

There is a climate line around Pittsburgh. Spring starts up to 3 weeks early 30 miles south of the northern suburbs. I have family in the Cranberry area and our trees and flowers will be in bloom 2-3 weeks earlier. It is crazy. Rain south 2-6 inches of snow 30 miles away. Topography also plays a roll. Some valleys have the air just sit there. Neat place. You can't always go by averages.

Just my 2 cents

Rick

Old 07-09-2010, 08:28 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,228,484 times
Another reason cities like Chicago and New York, which are slightly further north than Pittsburgh but seem to be five degrees warmer or so during heat waves, is the "heat island" effect. These very large flat cities with so much concrete and so many roofs jack up the temps a bit. Pittsburgh, due to topograqphy has more trees within city limits breaking up some of this effect.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
^^ Not really true in Chicago's case because even out in the exurbs where there's a bunch of corn the temperatures aren't much different. If it's hot in Chicago, it's hot in Sycamore too. What really makes a difference is there are no physical barriers stopping a strong northerly jet stream from scooping up warm humid air from the Gulf and carrying it up here. I gather New York is much the same.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:23 PM

8 posts, read 9,383 times
Wow...people defending Pittsburgh weather!?? Its probably the most dreaded miserable weather in the US. I lived there for 28 years. In the winter its super cold and dark...the sun may come out for a few minutes in between storm clouds and in the summer its super hot and humid..and still cloudy. Honestly if my entire family didnt live there I would never consider moving back because of that weather. Dont get me wrong, Pittsburgh has some nice things...weather just isnt one of them
Some of those nice things are the rolling green hills, trees, autumn leaves, and open spaces, as well as some of the most grounded people you'll meet

Last edited by PACAPACA; 05-17-2012 at 04:55 PM..

Old 05-17-2012, 05:13 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACAPACA View Post
Wow...people defending Pittsburgh weather!?? Its probably the most dreaded miserable weather in the US. I lived there for 28 years. In the winter its super cold and dark...the sun may come out for a few minutes in between storm clouds and in the summer its super hot and humid..and still cloudy. Honestly if my entire family didnt live there I would never consider moving back because of that weather. Dont get me wrong, Pittsburgh has some nice things...weather just isnt one of them

LAWL

Hey, it's sunnier on average in Kansas! The weather isn't nearly as "dreaded" there! Let's all move there!

Old 05-17-2012, 05:17 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,346,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACAPACA View Post
Some of those nice things are the rolling green hills, trees, autumn leaves, and open spaces, as well as some of the most grounded people you'll meet
Buffalo? Cleveland? Detroit? Chicago? Milwaukee? Minneapolis-St.Paul?
I agree that Pittsburgh doesn't have excellent weather, but come on there places that have much worse weather. Also, go to much of Western Europe and tell me how often you see the sun in cities such as London, Dublin or Paris

Old 05-17-2012, 06:17 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
One of the reasons I left Florida was to escape the sun and heat. It's in the low to mid 90's every day from mid May to mid October (and above 70 every night at that
time). My eyes also got very sensitive to the bright light over the years. I never left the house without sunglasses, no matter what the season.

I haven't had my sunglasses on once for the last couple months. It's heavenly, as are the temperatures.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:22 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Washington State is significantly more cloudy than Pittsburgh.
And that doesn't stop people from moving to Seattle either.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:47 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
I know I asked you all multiple times not to respond to trolls, so I assume saying it again is pointless as you all know better by now, right ? Right ?
What I wanted to point out is, that despite what some might be thinking, mods are people too and need to eat/sleep/not mod on occasion. So please, next time you feel like complaining the mods are doing nothing about a post that's only been here for a couple of hours, consider the fact the mods will get to it once they get online.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh