Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 02:19 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Since I'm now possibly going to be signing a lease on a beautiful 1-BR place on Brereton Street in Polish Hill on Saturday (if everyone else this week who is touring it falls through---please say a prayer for me!) I thought it would be a good time to resurrect this thread to discuss all things Polish Hill-oriented. While searching the Internet I came across this photo from Ainulindale, which I think really hammers home the "essence" of this neighborhood:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs952.snc4/74532_533586082655_60401286_31261127_2391600_n.jpg (broken link)

In addition, I also started to explore the web site of the Polish Hill Civic Association, and it appears as if they are doing some wonderful things to help improve the neighborhood. I saw an unrelated post on Facebook that references that a new coffeehouse has just opened here as well. The West Penn Community Center sounds wonderful---great place to work out, swim a few laps, and just relax.

I also read this awesome monthly newsletter, the Polish Hill Voice, regarding happenings in and around the neighborhood:

http://blogski.phcapgh.org/wp-conten...newsletter.pdf

Ironically the two buildings in the photo of the main article are directly across the street from the unit I may be inhabiting if the other prospective tenants this week fall through (I'll learn to smile or cry Friday morning!)

Let's make this the official discussion thread for Polish Hill!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 02:29 PM

Ah. Social networking skills in action. I just friend requested Terry Doloughty, president of the Polish Hill Civic Association, on Facebook, complimented his work, and asked him if he knew of any other "leads" for apartments in this neighborhood if the one I'm gambling on gets taken by someone else during the week. Polish Hill seems to have a red-hot rental market with few leads, if any. I'm figuring he might know!

Old 11-15-2010, 02:53 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
Good luck. I think a lot of the apartments in Polish Hill are rented through word of mouth. They get snapped up pretty fast. The location can't be beat - convenient to all of the East End but in its own quiet world.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Good luck. I think a lot of the apartments in Polish Hill are rented through word of mouth. They get snapped up pretty fast. The location can't be beat - convenient to all of the East End but in its own quiet world.
Thanks so much! I have to admit that even if this unit falls through I may just cruise around looking for "For Rent" signs this weekend there, call up the landlords, see if they can show them to me spontaneously, and then sign a lease! I really like the neighborhood the more and more I learn about it.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:15 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Pictures like that are why I've heard Pittsburgh referred to as "San Francisco meets Appalachia."

Old 11-15-2010, 04:42 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Good luck! I'm glad you have found a neighborhood that seems to strike the right balance for you, and I hope it works out.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:41 PM

315 posts, read 664,945 times
someone help me find a house for sale there. i am having no luck

Old 11-15-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl777 View Post
It's really bizarre how few listings there are in Polish Hill despite the large number of decaying homes. A lot of people just "hold onto" these homes while they sit vacant, apparently, which is a shame.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:10 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,585,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Since I'm now possibly going to be signing a lease on a beautiful 1-BR place on Brereton Street in Polish Hill on Saturday

Welcome to the neighborhood Reston (hopefully). My girlfriend and I moved into our little one bedroom apt on Brereton in April of 2009 and have been fairly happy. A few things to know ahead of time:

Parking on the main street can be pretty bad at times. Especially on Friday or Saturday nights when Gooski's or Sarney's are busy. Weddings or funerals at the immaculate heart of mary church can cause problems too. If you don't mind parking a block away and a little bit of walking it shouldn't phase you (its never bothered us personally).

The neighbors are very nice once they get to know you. The people working at gooskis are snotty and judgemental, but otherwise the neighborhood is friendly.

We usually don't have anyone on Brereton putting out chairs or cones to reserve the space in front of their homes, so don't expect to see much of that (or have it respected if you do it as well). The exception to this is when we get a blizzard like we had last year, and everyone has to dig their car out.

There seems to be very little crime in the neighborhood. We've only had two incidents since I've lived here (going on 2 years now). We once had some girls heading to the bar get robbed (they were unharmed) by a man hiding in a dark passage way of an abandoned building, and last fall there was a drug related shooting at the intersection of heron and bigelow. Otherwise the neighborhood is quiet.

For future reference you're going to have to spell "Brereton" for just about everyone when you give your address.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:17 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,585,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl777 View Post
We too were looking for homes in the neighborhood, and couldn't find many for sale that seemed worth the asking price. When we gave up on polish hill we decided to look across the river to Troy Hill (should be closing this friday). The homes are comparable, but they are cheaper. 50k will net you a 3 story home that requires a minimal amount of elbow grease (in our case one with a great view of the river, Washington's landing and Polish Hill), the neighborhood has more sustainable businesses (food/convenience store/pharmacy as opposed to a record/comic book/consignment shop), is more kid friendly (with parks and quieter streets), and its flat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh