Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 12:19 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,058,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
I have no problem with all of us paying to keep major roadways in good repair (which most aren't anyway...). I understand the concept that "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one... (courtesy of Mr. Spock..)"...

All I'm saying is that for LOCAL transit issues like buses and trains which do only serve the needs of people in and around Pittsburgh (and Philly) to the degree that ours do, that it only makes sense that we bear the main responsibility for paying for it.

I drive from here to New York or Chicago often enough, that I can see where my tax dollars should also go to keeping those roads in repair. But there's no reason why my money should go to the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre bus system.... I'll never use that once in my whole life (if I'm lucky)... let them keep their buses running and we'll keep ours running.
Exactly. Spending $1 million of my tax money so you and 9 other people can drive from Pittsburgh to New York each day is much better than spending $10,000 of my tax money so me and 999 people can get from Shadyside to Downtown each day. But your quote needs to be changed: "the needs of you outweigh the needs of many..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 03:36 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,890,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittGrad2009 View Post
The state didn't make Port Authority pay 50 or more drivers $80,000 in salary each year.
What is the base salary for a brand-new bus driver in 2010? Does that salary automatically grow to $80,000 within a certain, scheduled time period? Can't PAT just say no to putting new employees on this $80,000 salary track? And would that make much of a difference?

(I had no idea how much bus drivers made until this year.)

Old 07-25-2010, 03:45 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,890,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Salaries should be cut. There is no reason that bus drivers should be able to make more than some people make even after they get their master's degree. NO ONE driving a bus should be making more than $50,000 (i think the starting salary for an entry bus driver is even more).
But wouldn't you rather go to your professional job every day, even if you got paid $10,000 less per year than your bus driver, than have to put up with traffic and bus-taking ass****s all day, every day?

When I was a chef, I paid the dishwashers more than the prep cooks. Nobody wants to be the dishwasher, so you pay someone more who will do it. Germane to this conversation, who the hell wants to be a bus driver?

Old 07-25-2010, 05:45 PM

12 posts, read 27,353 times
I am a daily rider whose route is slated to be cut..and I can't wait until I'm driving into the city every morning with thousands and thousands of other former bus riders, clogging up YOUR commute. Then perhaps some of you who don't want to pay for a service you don't use will finally realize that the service PAT currently provides does affect you in a very big way, albeit indirectly.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:42 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,816,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Then Arelen Specter should pay for the library and Murtha's family should have to pay for his center. Shouldn't Philladelphia already have a library?
both already have libraries...which makes it all that much worse. total waste of funds. it's true that this money is capital, which means it could not pay for PAT's operating fund, but between the two of them, it could have gone for $100 million (with federal match) in intercity rail improvements. it's these kinds of decisions that are killing PA. the money goes for worthless pork yet roads, bridges, rail, and transit are kicked to the curb. these rural counties are small towns are led to believe their taxes are going up to pay for Philly and Pitt, when in reality they're going up because the legislature and guv are pissing the money away, not to mention the pension crisis brought to you by ridge and rendell.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:31 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
What is the base salary for a brand-new bus driver in 2010? Does that salary automatically grow to $80,000 within a certain, scheduled time period? Can't PAT just say no to putting new employees on this $80,000 salary track? And would that make much of a difference?

(I had no idea how much bus drivers made until this year.)
This isn't quite what you asked, but in 2009, the maximum base salary for a bus driver was $51,459. Individual drivers got over $80,000, or higher, with things like overtime and backpay. See here:

Transit authority says pay cuts no cure for financial crisis - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Obviously to limit those overtime opportunities, you would have to either cut total hours (aka cut service), or increase the number of drivers.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:56 AM

296 posts, read 560,760 times
How much has the overtime been trimmed in this new contract? The one thing that always puzzles me about municipal entities is the amount of overtime. While Pittsburgh may not have the most bus drivers, police officers, or firemen, we have enough but yet OT costs millions a year.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:52 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
OT typically arises when there are significant training costs and the employer in question has a significant variation in hours needed. I could see all that being true of police and fire, but while there are significant training costs for drivers, I'm not sure where the significant variation in driving hours needed would be coming for PAT.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:19 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,278 times
The Southwest Pennsylvania Commission restated their position regarding the governor's idea of transferring highway funding to transit. They approved the the transferring of funds in 2007 but said that it wouldn't happen again: Planners oppose transfer of federal road funds vy state - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

I hope the SPC stands their ground. I don't want to see a band-aid solution just so the issue gets swept under the carpet and then this time next year we are dealing with the same problem. The state needs to find a permanent solution. I hope the special session next month sheds some new light and that they can look past the fact that it is an election year.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:42 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,420 times
I am starting to wonder. PAT always makesempty threats like this every year and nothing ever happens. If they make these drastic cuts, I'm pretty sure it will hurt the local economy. I recall when PAT went on strikeback in the 90s, the courts ordered them back to work because it hurt the economy then. I just wonder if the effects could be similar with these cutbacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh