Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 03:11 PM

398 posts, read 699,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Is it possible for PAT to file for bankruptcy? If it is then you can ask a bankruptcy judge to throw out the excessive pensions and other limiting contractual obligations. Frankly, arbitration is to blame for a lot of the mess referred to in caroline2's article. Right now mandatory arbitration is killing our government ability to discipline employees (police, etc.)
robrobrob: And that article pre-dates this sociopath:

Fired Pittsburgh transit worker reinstated - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Yes, fake a racist incident, clearly setting the stage for a large, fraudulent lawsuit, be stupid enough to get caught... but god damn, the arbitrator isn't going to let you lose your job.

But as much as pensions are clearly a problem, I really don't want to see them get thrown out. Contribute more than a token amount to their health care, sure, but not thrown out. In a way, the pensions serve as a distraction for the egregious -- and expensive behavior -- that is still permitted. The union would prefer that we focus on lavish commitments, overtime weaseling, etc. made 20 and 30 years ago, with the implicit suggestion that that sort of stuff doesn't go on any more. Bull****.

"On average, one out of three off-board fare collectors failed to report for work on a daily basis in 2004, and one in six last year, leaving light-rail fare booths unattended, thereby slowing service because operators were required to idle at stations while collecting fares on-board in their absence."

Un-freaking-real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 03:34 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
An article on what an economic disaster it would be if PAT had to cut service:

Costs to displaced transit riders could outweigh the $47M Port Authority needs

Old 08-19-2010, 09:37 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,624,193 times
when are people going to get it through their skulls that public transit is a public good that benefits way more people than just riders? gah.

i'm not talking about anyone in this thread (i actually haven't read it), just a general societal attitude towards public transportation; this idea that it has to pay for itself in a very direct way, when it really pays for itself many times over in an indirect way.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:47 AM

296 posts, read 558,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post
robrobrob: And that article pre-dates this sociopath:

Fired Pittsburgh transit worker reinstated - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Yes, fake a racist incident, clearly setting the stage for a large, fraudulent lawsuit, be stupid enough to get caught... but god damn, the arbitrator isn't going to let you lose your job.

But as much as pensions are clearly a problem, I really don't want to see them get thrown out. Contribute more than a token amount to their health care, sure, but not thrown out. In a way, the pensions serve as a distraction for the egregious -- and expensive behavior -- that is still permitted. The union would prefer that we focus on lavish commitments, overtime weaseling, etc. made 20 and 30 years ago, with the implicit suggestion that that sort of stuff doesn't go on any more. Bull****.

"On average, one out of three off-board fare collectors failed to report for work on a daily basis in 2004, and one in six last year, leaving light-rail fare booths unattended, thereby slowing service because operators were required to idle at stations while collecting fares on-board in their absence."

Un-freaking-real.

Don't forget the workers at the old PAT headquarters whose job it was to count the money in the money bins but made disability claims because they said they hurt their hands on the job.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:55 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,828,709 times
Does anyone remember if we used to smoke on the bus, say 1960s-1970s? We were talking about this the other night, and no one (smokers or ex-smokers all) could remember.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:59 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,036,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Does anyone remember if we used to smoke on the bus, say 1960s-1970s? We were talking about this the other night, and no one (smokers or ex-smokers all) could remember.
Yes, you could smoke on the bus back then. My aunt drove for Port Authority for over 25 years and she would take me and my cousins to work with her back in the day. We'd be on the bus, for HOURS, while she was driving, and yes people smoked on the bus. I remember it vividly and this was back in the late 70's.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:49 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,933,215 times
I remember people smoking in the 80s, but not many. There were signs that said "No Smoking" at the front, but in those days the bus windows opened and they blew the smoke out. I never remember anyone complaining. Of course, today nobody would think of lighting up on a bus or trolley.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:23 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,828,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Yes, you could smoke on the bus back then. My aunt drove for Port Authority for over 25 years and she would take me and my cousins to work with her back in the day. We'd be on the bus, for HOURS, while she was driving, and yes people smoked on the bus. I remember it vividly and this was back in the late 70's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I remember people smoking in the 80s, but not many. There were signs that said "No Smoking" at the front, but in those days the bus windows opened and they blew the smoke out. I never remember anyone complaining. Of course, today nobody would think of lighting up on a bus or trolley.
Thanks to you both. I smoked then (1970s), and took the bus to Pitt, but I couldn't remember if we were allowed to do both at the same time. I kind of thought "yes," because not being able to smoke seems like something I'd remember. So I'm glad to know my memory isn't completely shot.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:15 PM

801 posts, read 1,099,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
I see it's that time of the year where the PAT starts threatening service cuts in order to get more money. Just like clockwork.
I hear you!

I know there are legitimate reasons attributable to the general economic climate at the state level and beyond, but...I have to wonder...are "they" being good stewards of the people's money? I think we all know the likely answer to that.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:47 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
Recently PAT has cut its benefit costs, improved its operating efficiency, and the TDP they are rolling out will do a lot more. I'm not claiming they are perfect, but vital services like this won't get better and more efficient if efforts like these aren't recognized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh